Author Topic: Remains Of U.S. Soldier Found In Niger After Widow Questioned What Was In Coffin At Funeral  (Read 515 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Newsweek • John Haltiwanger • Tue, Nov 21 10:22 AM CST Updated

Additional remains of a U.S. soldier killed in a mysterious Niger ambush were reportedly found in the African nation earlier this month — even though his funeral had already been held, with his widow questioning whether he was even in the casket.

The military and an FBI team in Niger discovered more remains of Sgt. La David Johnson about a month after he and three other American soldiers were killed in the ambush, CNN reported Tuesday. The announcement adds another layer of confusion to the ambush, which is still under investigation and has led to continuing factual disputes.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/remains-u-soldier-found-niger-162216217.html
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 04:33:27 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline edpc

Johnson's wife, Myeshia Johnson, had told ABC News in October the military barred her from seeing her husband's body, making her very suspicious of what was in the casket at his funeral in later that month. It was a closed casket funeral.

Well, to be fair, these are additional remains.  There’s a history in the region of casualties being mutilated.  The widow and press made it look like the DoD was trying to conceal something, when they were actually trying to spare her more anguish.

Offline Applewood

This whole thing has been a cluster-[expletive].  Didn't anyone talk to the widow -- tell her they only had part of his remains and that these are additional remains? 

Offline edpc

This whole thing has been a cluster-[expletive].  Didn't anyone talk to the widow -- tell her they only had part of his remains and that these are additional remains?

They did talk with her, because she was advised not to view the remains.  Ultimately, it was her decision whether to or not.  It’s likely, they recovered what they could at the time.  The subsequent investigation of the ambush has probably been what led to further discovery.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Ugh. This is a horrible story.

Offline Applewood

They did talk with her, because she was advised not to view the remains.  Ultimately, it was her decision whether to or not.  It’s likely, they recovered what they could at the time.  The subsequent investigation of the ambush has probably been what led to further discovery.

I get that.  But the widow is questioning what was in the box.  I would have thought that someone would have said these are partial remains and perhaps tell her it might be possible more remains could be found later.

Offline edpc

Ugh. This is a horrible story.

It is and I hope the president doesn’t step in it with a stupid tweet.

Offline edpc

I get that.  But the widow is questioning what was in the box.  I would have thought that someone would have said these are partial remains and perhaps tell her it might be possible more remains could be found later.

We don’t know - perhaps they did.  What we do know is they got what remains they could, so she could bury him.  Today’s service members have DNA on file for identification.  We also know the Congresswoman is a longtime family friend with an agenda.  Given that, I’m not sure if any potential new criticism can be taken at face value.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon

"Why couldn't I see my husband? Every time I asked to see my husband, they wouldn't let me," Myeshia Johnson said in an Oct. 23 interview with "Good Morning America." "They told me that he's in a severe wrap — like, I won't be able to see him. I need to see him so I will know that that is my husband."

She added, "They won't show me a finger, a hand. I know my husband's body from head to toe, and they won't let me see anything.

Well, Looks like here is her chance.  Bet she called her bestie Maxine Waters to help her in her time of need.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Online mountaineer

The widow and press made it look like the DoD was trying to conceal something, when they were actually trying to spare her more anguish.
No doubt. But she's trying to push an anti-administration agenda (whether of her own design or someone else's), so facts would be inconvenient at this point.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Johnson's wife, Myeshia Johnson, had told ABC News in October the military barred her from seeing her husband's body, making her very suspicious of what was in the casket at his funeral in later that month. It was a closed casket funeral.

Well, to be fair, these are additional remains.  There’s a history in the region of casualties being mutilated.  The widow and press made it look like the DoD was trying to conceal something, when they were actually trying to spare her more anguish.

The problem is if someone is trying to push an agenda, then these situations are damned if you do or don't, catch-22's. If you give them the real skinny then they narrative changes to butthurt and bullied.
The Republic is lost.