Author Topic: Trump calls on NFL to suspend Raiders' Marshawn Lynch  (Read 3632 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Trump calls on NFL to suspend Raiders' Marshawn Lynch
« on: November 20, 2017, 07:56:11 pm »
Maegan Vazquez and Ahiza Garcia
CNN
November 20, 2017

President Donald Trump took to Twitter to criticize Oakland Raiders running back Marshawn Lynch early Monday morning.

After photographs surfaced showing Lynch standing during the Mexican National Anthem and sitting during the US National Anthem at a game against the New England Patriots in Mexico City on Sunday, Trump called for his suspension.
More

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Re: Trump calls on NFL to suspend Raiders' Marshawn Lynch
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 08:10:16 pm »
Trump's is burgeoning on Dictatorship with this kind of Tweeting.

He has absolutely no business targeting any private entity with disciplinary or suggestive courses of action towards their employees and contractors he doesn't like.

Despite the fact that idiots in the NFL are displaying their hatred of the country on a weekly basis.  Let the audience and fans dictate how their venue should react - NOT the President.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 08:10:18 pm »
I agree with Trump, but does he really need to wade into this?

Offline bilo

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 08:12:26 pm »
Maegan Vazquez and Ahiza Garcia
CNN
November 20, 2017
More

Pres. Trump is right about the failure in leadership in the NFL. Standing and honoring our flag during the playing of our National Anthem doesn't seem like that big a deal, but the failure to do so is one more institution that is denigrated in the long list of things being done to demean and destroy pride in our country and it's foundation. It's been one thing after another for over 50 years and the way we are going most people will see no reason to keep the USA a constitutional republic founded on the principals that are rights come from GOD and the govt exists not to give us rights, but to defend our pre-existing rights. We've already surrendered on most social issues, now the symbols are being destroyed.

If everything is going down the tubes I'd rather go down the tubes with it rather than support a game that can't even tell it's employees they must stand and honor the flag that so many have died for.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 08:24:48 pm »
I just read an article wherein Charles Barkley and Shaw O'Neil stated the NFL kneeling was not working, since it offended so many Americans.

Trump is taking the American patriotic side. That is his constituency.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 08:40:52 pm »
I just read an article wherein Charles Barkley and Shaw O'Neil stated the NFL kneeling was not working, since it offended so many Americans.

Trump is taking the American patriotic side. That is his constituency.

So what?  The optics of a POTUS targeting a specific person and calling for their suspension from a private entity are horribly stupid.  And he's horribly stupid for not understanding that.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 08:42:24 pm »
We may all share the sentiment, but Trump just guaranteed nothing is going to happen to Lynch.  Did he learn nothing?  The NFL will protect him just to stick it in Trump's face.  Now, I'll entertain the notion that Trump doesn't WANT Lynch punished....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 08:53:12 pm »
We may all share the sentiment, but Trump just guaranteed nothing is going to happen to Lynch.  Did he learn nothing?  The NFL will protect him just to stick it in Trump's face.  Now, I'll entertain the notion that Trump doesn't WANT Lynch punished....

If that is your theory then it could also be extended to "lock her up", building the wall, scrapping Obamacare, etc etc etc.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 08:55:35 pm »
If that is your theory then it could also be extended to "lock her up", building the wall, scrapping Obamacare, etc etc etc.

Sure.  No argument from me.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 10:57:05 pm »

That notion is not entertaining.  It's just Trump saying what he thinks.  I'm inured to it now.

It's a stupid battle for him to get into but not as stupid as the NFL for not waking up to the fact that their audience is mostly good ole boys and girls who like the Flag.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 11:13:43 pm »
I agree with Trump, but does he really need to wade into this?

No.  But on the other hand Trump has been feeling neglected lately since the news has been so preoccupied with all these allegations of sexual misconduct.  His ego is deflated -- he's not the center of attention.  So he has to do or say something to stay relevant.  Plus he has to keep his fans entertained or they will lose interest in him. 

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 11:14:06 pm »
So what?  The optics of a POTUS targeting a specific person and calling for their suspension from a private entity are horribly stupid.  And he's horribly stupid for not understanding that.

By now you might have admitted your conventional is wrong, since he got himself elected.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 11:17:59 pm »

He has absolutely no business targeting any private entity with disciplinary or suggestive courses of action towards their employees and contractors he doesn't like.

Despite the fact that idiots in the NFL are displaying their hatred of the country on a weekly basis.  Let the audience and fans dictate how their venue should react - NOT the President.

Dictatorship...you wax hyperbolic.

Why not , Trumps tweet?  Keeps the America haters in the spotlight.... this is a good thing. That soe racist thug gets to share the limelight of such tweet.

That too is good.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Fantom

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2017, 11:25:29 pm »
That notion is not entertaining.  It's just Trump saying what he thinks.  I'm inured to it now.

It's a stupid battle for him to get into but not as stupid as the NFL for not waking up to the fact that their audience is mostly good ole boys and girls who like the Flag.

Right! Inured is good  888high58888.. understanding is even better. The more Trump tweets the better I am starting to like him. Yes, at first he seemed immature...now though, after a year I see he is really really great at this game. He uses a punk to make the point that these are not real Americans with no real grievance.

What better optics than a Kneeler....standing for a foreign  Nations anthem... and not out own on foreign soil. One tweet... the Nation and World see it and choose.

It is a time for choosing ...... choosing what side you really are on.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2017, 11:34:48 pm »
Right! Inured is good  888high58888.. understanding is even better. The more Trump tweets the better I am starting to like him. Yes, at first he seemed immature...now though, after a year I see he is really really great at this game. He uses a punk to make the point that these are not real Americans with no real grievance.

What better optics than a Kneeler....standing for a foreign  Nations anthem... and not out own on foreign soil. One tweet... the Nation and World see it and choose.

It is a time for choosing ...... choosing what side you really are on.

Scott Adams calls Trump's name-calling and  tweets "linguistic kill shots" (and they work)

Like it or not, he's doing it and it works. "Low energy Jeb," is an oft cited example of an effective linguistic kill shot.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2017, 11:39:45 pm »
By now you might have admitted your conventional is wrong, since he got himself elected.

Barely.  Against a horrible opponent. I think if Hillary hadn't bought off the DNC and the nomination had gone to Bernie, the General results would have been different.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2017, 11:42:11 pm »

President Trump did not twit this, Donald Trump did.  He used his personal account.  While some of us might prefer he be a bit more cautious with his comments given his day job, he did not give up his right to express his personal opinion when he won the election. 
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2017, 12:19:03 am »
Barely.  Against a horrible opponent. I think if Hillary hadn't bought off the DNC and the nomination had gone to Bernie, the General results would have been different.

Coulda, shoulda, woulda.

Had we repeated a conventional Bush I, Dole, McCain, Romney type it is unlikely the GOP would have prevailed.

I suggest to all here gathered wishing for a successful GOP candidate in the future, to try to learn about things which have worked. (Having an open mind doesn't cost anything)

Bush I, Dole, McCain, Romney and the primary campaign of the 15 primary losers, did NOT work. 

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2017, 12:39:34 am »
Coulda, shoulda, woulda.

Had we repeated a conventional Bush I, Dole, McCain, Romney type it is unlikely the GOP would have prevailed.

I suggest to all here gathered wishing for a successful GOP candidate in the future, to try to learn about things which have worked. (Having an open mind doesn't cost anything)

Bush I, Dole, McCain, Romney and the primary campaign of the 15 primary losers, did NOT work.

Okay, I'll ask this way; are his current supporters so fickle that if Trump cuts the stupid antics that he'll lose their vote in 2020?

Offline Fantom

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2017, 12:46:29 am »
Okay, I'll ask this way; are his current supporters so fickle that if Trump cuts the stupid antics that he'll lose their vote in 2020?

Well, I was not one of Trumps S'porters.... but I consider the stupid antics to be one of his greatest strengths.

You criticize the non-traditional performance, and miss the masterpiece.

Frederick Douglass

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2017, 12:48:39 am »

Trump's supporters are not fickle, his antics are not stupid, 2020 is too far away to worry about now.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2017, 12:58:01 am »
Trump's supporters are not fickle, his antics are not stupid, 2020 is too far away to worry about now.

I think the nonsense like what is talked about in this article is stupid.  If the stupid stopped and the current attempted policies were continued I might be inclined to vote for him next time.  Seems reasonable to me.  Perhaps you are willing to be open minded about that.  But if you think a candidate that couldn't even carry the popular vote and won by the skin of his teeth can win against whatever rock star the Dems put up next time, please carry on.

Silver Pines

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2017, 12:58:09 am »
Trump needs to butt the hell out (again).  Only his core supporters think these crazy tweets are cute.  If he's going to run again in 2020, it won't be against Hillary.  He'll need to actually increase his support.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2017, 12:58:54 am »

No... to use your colloquialism, what he wants is for them to continue to 'stick it in his face'. Alinsky 101.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2017, 01:11:41 am »
No... to use your colloquialism, what he wants is for them to continue to 'stick it in his face'. Alinsky 101.

Good point.  I need to find a meme that says "Alinsky works for US now!"
I will NOT comply.