Author Topic: Amish gene can make them live 10 years longer and avoid diabetes  (Read 733 times)

rangerrebew

15 November 2017
Amish gene can make them live 10 years longer and avoid diabetes

By Andy Coghlan

A gene variant that arose decades ago in an Amish group seems to be enough to make people live ten years longer, as well as making them less likely to develop diabetes.

The gene is called SERPINE1, and is known to make a protein that promotes ageing, known as PAI-1. But a faulty variant of this gene arose six generations ago in an Amish group, causing the people who carry one copy of the variant to produce half as much of the age-promoting protein. Researchers wondered if this might be linked to a longer lifespan in those who carry it.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/amish-gene-can-make-live-10-years-longer-avoid-diabetes/

Online roamer_1

Re: Amish gene can make them live 10 years longer and avoid diabetes
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 11:18:35 pm »

15 November 2017
Amish gene can make them live 10 years longer and avoid diabetes

By Andy Coghlan

A gene variant that arose decades ago in an Amish group seems to be enough to make people live ten years longer, as well as making them less likely to develop diabetes.

The gene is called SERPINE1, and is known to make a protein that promotes ageing, known as PAI-1. But a faulty variant of this gene arose six generations ago in an Amish group, causing the people who carry one copy of the variant to produce half as much of the age-promoting protein. Researchers wondered if this might be linked to a longer lifespan in those who carry it.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/amish-gene-can-make-live-10-years-longer-avoid-diabetes/

Or maybe it's good clean living, hard work and agrarian industry, clean water without chemicals, and no processed foods... 

:boring:

:talkhand:

NAH... That can't be it...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 11:18:53 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 11:32:29 pm »
Or maybe it's good clean living, hard work and agrarian industry, clean water without chemicals, and no processed foods... 

NAH... That can't be it...

Actually it's not that. Obviously you have an idealized vision of the Amish, but they are a fraud. All that simple living is a front for tourists. I had a couple huge Amish shed accounts when I was in corporate sales. They are the German equivalent of Hasidic Jews. Behind the office with the oil lamps and abacus was the real office with fax machines and modern business equipment. Hidden in all their barns were brand new gray or black minivans in case they needed to get moving when time was money. These dudes bought lumber with million dollar checks. They also have a habit of getting involved with moderate street drug distribution......and they all stink like a sewer with an open manhole cover.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 11:42:05 pm »
Actually it's not that. Obviously you have an idealized vision of the Amish, but they are a fraud. All that simple living is a front for tourists. I had a couple huge Amish shed accounts when I was in corporate sales. They are the German equivalent of Hasidic Jews. Behind the office with the oil lamps and abacus was the real office with fax machines and modern business equipment. Hidden in all their barns were brand new gray or black minivans in case they needed to get moving when time was money. These dudes bought lumber with million dollar checks. They also have a habit of getting involved with moderate street drug distribution......and they all stink like a sewer with an open manhole cover.

They also smoke, drink Mt. Dew like it's going out of style, and have problems with alcoholism.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 11:42:27 pm »
Actually it's not that. Obviously you have an idealized vision of the Amish, but they are a fraud. All that simple living is a front for tourists. I had a couple huge Amish shed accounts when I was in corporate sales. They are the German equivalent of Hasidic Jews. Behind the office with the oil lamps and abacus was the real office with fax machines and modern business equipment. Hidden in all their barns were brand new gray or black minivans in case they needed to get moving when time was money.

Not out here... Though the Hutterite fork of em are more like that,... still pretty much with the Amish in spirit, but more modern homesteaders (tractors, pickup trucks, etc)

I know a some of each, though most the Amish I know are east of here. Hutts are all over the place right here where I live.

But I've plowed land and drove wagon with horses on Amish farms... I've built haystacks with pitchforks... Built timber-frame barns... All the old ways.

Amish are good folks. So are Hutts... I normally by my chicken from Hutterites. 

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 11:45:12 pm »
Not out here... Though the Hutterite fork of em are more like that,... still pretty much with the Amish in spirit, but more modern homesteaders (tractors, pickup trucks, etc)

I know a some of each, though most the Amish I know are east of here. Hutts are all over the place right here where I live.

But I've plowed land and drove wagon with horses on Amish farms... I've built haystacks with pitchforks... Built timber-frame barns... All the old ways.

Amish are good folks. So are Hutts... I normally by my chicken from Hutterites.

I have a feeling that even the drug dealers and pimps where you live have a more earthy attitude than here. Might be the location over the vocation.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 11:45:32 pm »

I am sorry, but you need to be informed the power that be on this forum, do not subscribe to genetics.

Everybody is exactly the same. Identical.  Period.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 11:51:45 pm »
I have a feeling that even the drug dealers and pimps where you live have a more earthy attitude than here. Might be the location over the vocation.

You may have a point.  ^-^