Author Topic: Alabama Secretary of State: If State GOP Pulls Support for Moore and He Gets the Most Votes, Election Would Be ‘Null and Void’  (Read 13382 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
by Ian Hanchett13 Nov 201715,631

On Monday’s broadcast of the Fox News Channel’s “Fox News @ Night,” Alabama Secretary of State John Merrill (R) said that the Alabama Republican Party can formally pull its support for its Senate nominee Judge Roy Moore, and if this happens and Moore still gets the most votes, the election would be null and void.

Merrill said Moore could withdraw from the race, or the state Republican Party could formally pull its support. He further stated that if that happens and Moore receives the most votes, “our election would be declared null and void, and Governor Ivey would have to call another special election, and we’d start the process all over again.”

more
http://www.breitbart.com/video/2017/11/13/alabama-secretary-of-state-if-state-gop-pulls-support-for-moore-and-he-gets-the-most-votes-election-would-be-null-and-void/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Just breaking on Fox the RNC has pulled all support of Moore
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Frank Cannon

Just breaking on Fox the RNC has pulled all support of Moore

RNC never supported Moore. This Sec of State is talking about the state party pulling support.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Republican National Committee drops Roy Moore amid the Alabama Senate candidate's sexual misconduct scandal
http://www.businessinsider.com/republican-national-committee-withdraws-support-of-roy-moore-sexual-misconduct-2017-11

I thought this was done a few days so whatever.

I've seen that Secretary of State John Merrill on Fox, well, seems like a good guy. All of this will make for some frayed nerves should they do it... and ... I'll say the State GOP will do that... it just seems to be how business is conducted....

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
I had never heard about this loophole.

In other words, if they do this, it essentially becomes an up-or-down vote on Doug Jones. Hmm… the plot thickens. :smokin:
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline corbe

I'm so glad that Ronna Romney McDaniel has so quickly recovered from the recent Virginia Gov/House of Delegates disaster and has determined that the value of another GOP Senator to America in this day and age is nada, nil, zilch.   I still think it's plausible that this party is imploding right before our eyes and I say good riddance.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline libertybele

Wow ... guilty without a trial.  This really sickens me.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Fantom

Wow ... guilty without a trial.  This really sickens me.

Yep, even worse "guilty" by pre-election slime.

That alone, makes the "charges" specious. Shame any would advance them on the "conservative" side.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
So now what would the party have to do in order to accomplish this?   What do the rules say about their ability to overturn the will of the voters?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 02:01:50 am by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
So now what would the party have to do in order to accomplish this?   What do the rules say about their ability to overturn the will of the voters?

The rules are what the Oligarchy say they are at any given moment - and they will change the rules and declare them changed right in front of your face without any legitimate input from any of us.

To wit: the last two Republican Party Conventions.

As I've said - we have arrived at the place where the Corrupt Oligarchy running the country will now simply TELL US who will rule us and how they will rule us.

And you can all pretend you have a voice with your "vote" - when it means jack shit in this day and age.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Sumthin' tells me that the Alabama state Republican officials gots 'em more sense than the R.N.C. ...

I could be wrong.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
I thought this was done a few days so whatever.
That was the National Republican Senatorial Campaign Committee a few days ago.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline TomSea

That was the National Republican Senatorial Campaign Committee a few days ago.

Thank You!

Offline Victoria33

by Ian Hanchett13 Nov 201715,631

Merrill said Moore could withdraw from the race, or the state Republican Party could formally pull its support. He further stated that if that happens and Moore receives the most votes, “our election would be declared null and void, and Governor Ivey would have to call another special election, and we’d start the process all over again.”
@mystery-ak

Whatever the Alabama Secretary of State says, is the way it is in that state.

Moore made a speech tonight at a God Save the County church revival. He started off with quotes from the Bible, talked about that scripture, then spoke briefly about the false attacks on him, then said he didn't want to talk about that but wanted to talk about the country and God (it was something like that), then CNN cut away from it.  He is not going to quit.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
What the Republican party of Alabama REALLY "thinks"...
===========================================
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/elections/alabama-gop-threatens-retaliation-disloyalty-moore-n820876

Alabama GOP Threatens Retaliation for Disloyalty to Moore
by ALEX SEITZ-WALD and PHIL HELSEL

WASHINGTON — Republicans in Washington may be abandoning Roy Moore by the droves. But in Alabama, the GOP has Moore's back and is threatening retribution against defectors.

The chairwoman of the Alabama Republican Party warned she's ready to enforce strict rules on party purity in the state's Senate race, even if it means kicking GOP candidates off the ballot in future elections.

"It would be a serious error for any current elected GOP official or candidate to publicly endorse another party's candidate, an independent, a third party or a write in candidate in a general election as well,” Alabama GOP Chairwoman Terry Lathan told the Alabama Political Reporter. "I have heard of no GOP elected official or candidate that is even considering this option."

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
The chairwoman of the Alabama Republican Party warned she's ready to enforce strict rules on party purity in the state's Senate race, even if it means kicking GOP candidates off the ballot in future elections.

"It would be a serious error for any current elected GOP official or candidate to publicly endorse another party's candidate, an independent, a third party or a write in candidate in a general election as well,” Alabama GOP Chairwoman Terry Lathan told the Alabama Political Reporter. "I have heard of no GOP elected official or candidate that is even considering this option."
What if that means assorted Alabama Republican officeholders and candidates simply dummy up
and refuse to endorse anyone?

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

In Iowa, the party can't do jack. If you get on the ballot and win, you've won.

Especially for a federal seat. I don't know anywhere that the state party has any say over the winner of a federal election.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Frank Cannon

In Iowa, the party can't do jack. If you get on the ballot and win, you've won.

Especially for a federal seat. I don't know anywhere that the state party has any say over the winner of a federal election.

Technically this is a state election run by the AL Sec of State. The only federal elections are for President and Vice President. Hell, up until 1913, state legislators picked the Senator.

Offline KingsX

• Be yourself. No one can say you're doing it wrong.

This time around it may be Alabama,  not South Carolina,  that is the "first battle."

If you understand my analogy...

« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 09:09:32 am by KingsX »

Offline aligncare

The rules are what the Oligarchy say they are at any given moment - and they will change the rules and declare them changed right in front of your face without any legitimate input from any of us.

To wit: the last two Republican Party Conventions.

As I've said - we have arrived at the place where the Corrupt Oligarchy running the country will now simply TELL US who will rule us and how they will rule us.

And you can all pretend you have a voice with your "vote" - when it means jack shit in this day and age.

Brings to mind a quote of Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

“None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.”

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Alcee Hastings was actually impeached as a judge and serves in the House.  Go figure.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
This is the key to how this will all come down.   The Alabama GOP is a private organization, and the ballot lists Moore as its nominee.   It can withdraw that nomination,  and if Moore wins, the election will be deemed null and void.   Moore,  whose political reputation is based on resistance and defiance of the law,  probably can't persuaded to withdraw,  but the local party can yank its support regardless.

The key to avoiding disaster is to have the Alabama GOP withdraw its support quickly,  thereby raising pressure on the Governor of Alabama to postpone the special election to allow the Alabama party time to find another nominee (maybe Jeff Sessions himself).

The most likely result is still a Doug Jones victory,  although the specter of an invalid nominee on the ballot essentially turns the race into an up or down referendum on Mr. Jones.   He wins, he's the Senator; Moore wins,  a new election is called. 

The Wall Street Journal this morning opined as follows:

In the event Mr. Moore refuses to drop out in the next day or so, President Trump might have more sway if he suggests that he leave the race.  If Mr. Trump won't do that, then the GOP will be better off if Mr. Moore loses, despite the blow to its Senate majority.  Democrats and the media will make Mr. Moore the running mate of every Republican in 2018. 

Alabama's Republican voters are in a tough spot, and ideally they'd at least get the chance to choose between a prominent write-in candidate or opt for sending a message by voting for the Democrat.  For 25 years Democrats and feminists euphemized and apologized for Bill Clinton, starting with Gennifer Flowers before he was President.  Republicans can show their standards are better.   

This is the choice the Alabama GOP (and indeed, Alabama Christians) must make -  to make a stand to be better and less cynical than the Democrats on the issue of CHARACTER MATTERS.   
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 01:18:40 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
This is the choice the Alabama GOP (and indeed, Alabama Christians) must make -  to make a stand to be better and less cynical than the Democrats on the issue of CHARACTER MATTERS.

The 17th Amendment matters.  It was passed because of the corruption in state legislatures.  Now that they’ve give the people power for the direct election of senators, they can’t whine about who is chosen.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
The 17th Amendment matters.  It was passed because of the corruption in state legislatures.  Now that they’ve give the people power for the direct election of senators, they can’t whine about who is chosen.

It was passed to cut one party (the states) completely out of the process in the fedgov and we have seen the result MANY times since! 
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline TomSea

This time around it may be Alabama,  not South Carolina,  that is the "first battle."

If you understand my analogy...

I don't think Alabama was ever 80% slave like SC was. They should have been given the right to vote then.