Author Topic: Senate GOP campaign chairman calls on Moore to be expelled if he wins  (Read 1952 times)

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Re: Senate GOP campaign chairman calls on Moore to be expelled if he wins
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2017, 10:17:58 pm »
Another DemRhino!

. . . who knows that character matters.   Some conservatives subscribe to that notion as well.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2017, 10:20:31 pm »
That’s very nice. How does that pertain to Roy Moore?

That would be the provision in the Constitution, that you specifically said didn't exist, which would give the Senate the ability to expel him if he is elected.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2017, 10:32:29 pm »
. . . who knows that character matters.   Some conservatives subscribe to that notion as well.
Dems and Rinos have no character and know nothing about that. True conservatives wouldn’t make judgement without all the facts.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline aligncare

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2017, 10:46:17 pm »
That would be the provision in the Constitution, that you specifically said didn't exist, which would give the Senate the ability to expel him if he is elected.

Read it again. Roy Moore is not a member of the senate. Alabama voters have yet to decide that. And if they do decide to elect him to membership in that august body, having heard all the allegations and rejected them, the senate cannot undo their election, their choice.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 10:47:59 pm by aligncare »

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2017, 10:52:21 pm »
That’s very nice. How does that pertain to Roy Moore?

I doesn't!  The U. S. Constitution does not provide for overthrowing the election of a newly elected member just because the current members don't like who got elected to fill that seat!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2017, 11:24:02 pm »
Read it again. Roy Moore is not a member of the senate. Alabama voters have yet to decide that. And if they do decide to elect him to membership in that august body, having heard all the allegations and rejected them, the senate cannot undo their election, their choice.

No, Roy Moore is not a member of the Senate, but that is utterly irrelevant since the very title of this thread is, "Senate GOP campaign chairman calls on Moore to be expelled if he wins".  If he wins, the Constitution does most certainly provide the Senate the power to expel him, a member.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2017, 11:49:09 pm »

I don't think the Constitution is any longer much of a restraint for the behavior of the Senate.   

I wouldn't mind being pleasantly surprised though.   

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2017, 11:52:14 pm »
No, Roy Moore is not a member of the Senate, but that is utterly irrelevant since the very title of this thread is, "Senate GOP campaign chairman calls on Moore to be expelled if he wins".  If he wins, the Constitution does most certainly provide the Senate the power to expel him, a member.

Article I,  Section 5. 
Each House may determine the Rules of its Proceedings, punish its Members for disorderly Behavior, and, with the Concurrence of two-thirds, expel a Member.

So they do have the power to do so if they have the will,   and I think they will have the will to do so.   Half of our side will not hesitate to back stab another member of our side. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2017, 11:57:55 pm »
Newt was on Hannity and he called this idea truly outrageous. Shouldn't the voice of the people be heard?

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2017, 12:01:34 am »
This is what was on the Sunday news shows, and I disagree with this process by the way.

The Judicial Committee (or Ethics) can hold an investigation, if the investigation turns up negatives, they can recommend to the Senate that said member be removed.

Then, a 2/3rds majority has to vote for the member to be removed.

So that means, 66 votes, to me, that could be hard to get, that would mean I guess, 34 Senators would have to vote for Moore to stay.

So, I think it would be hard to remove him but not impossible and in this environment, who knows?

But then, that might mean another election to determine who will be the AL. Senator.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2017, 05:06:49 am »
I doesn't!  The U. S. Constitution does not provide for overthrowing the election of a newly elected member just because the current members don't like who got elected to fill that seat!

@Bigun

The Constitution Delegates (meaning the Constitution itself does not get involved) the Authority to Expel to "Each House"

What we'd be dealing with for Expulsion would be the Rules of the Senate

https://www.senate.gov/reference/index_sub_items/Expulsion_vrd.htm

" Expulsion

Article I, Section 5, of the United States Constitution provides that "Each House [of Congress] may determine the Rules of its proceedings, punish its members for disorderly behavior, and, with the concurrence of two-thirds, expel a member." Since 1789, the Senate has expelled only fifteen of its entire membership."

While not expounding on the ins and outs in great detail, it Appears to posit a proceeding founded upon the behavior of a Senator AS A Senator: Not his past life or accusations surrounding it.

And, as it it needed pointing out, 19 out of the 20 who Have been expelled from Congress were Democrats.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expulsion_from_the_United_States_Congress

"History of expulsions from Congress
In the entire history of the United States Congress, 20 Members have been expelled: 15 from the Senate and 5 from the House of Representatives (of those, 1 member's expulsion, William K. Sebastian of Arkansas, was posthumously reversed). 19 of the 20 expulsions involved a member of the Democratic Party, with the only exception pre-dating the founding of the modern political parties. Censure has been a much more common form of disciplinary action in Congress over the years, as it requires a much lower threshold of votes to impose."

Make of it what you will, but I don't seem to see being ACCUSED of dating high school girls ever having been considered sufficient grounds to Expel a New Senator.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2017, 05:16:31 am »

@Bigun

The Constitution Delegates (meaning the Constitution itself does not get involved) the Authority to Expel to "Each House"

" Expulsion

Article I, Section 5, of the United States Constitution provides that "Each House [of Congress] may determine the Rules of its proceedings, punish its members for disorderly behavior, and, with the concurrence of two-thirds, expel a member." Since 1789, the Senate has expelled only fifteen of its entire membership."

While not expounding on the ins and outs in great detail, it Appears to posit a proceeding founded upon the behavior of a Senator AS A Senator: Not his past life or accusations surrounding it.

And, as it it needed pointing out, 19 out of the 20 who Have been expelled from Congress were Democrats.

In the entire history of the United States Congress, 20 Members have been expelled: 15 from the Senate and 5 from the House of Representatives (of those, 1 member's expulsion, William K. Sebastian of Arkansas, was posthumously reversed). 19 of the 20 expulsions involved a member of the Democratic Party, with the only exception pre-dating the founding of the modern political parties. Censure has been a much more common form of disciplinary action in Congress over the years, as it requires a much lower threshold of votes to impose."

Make of it what you will, but I don't seem to see being ACCUSED of dating high school girls ever having been considered sufficient grounds to Expel a New Senator.

Well, now.  The Senate can decide what disorderly behavior is and there is no time limit imposed by the Constitution.

Like impeachment, high crimes and misdemeanors are whatever the House says they are.

So, yes, Moore can be expelled by the Senate for whatever reason it decides. 
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 05:17:14 am by sinkspur »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2017, 06:19:10 am »
Well, now.  The Senate can decide what disorderly behavior is and there is no time limit imposed by the Constitution.

Like impeachment, high crimes and misdemeanors are whatever the House says they are.

For Whatever Reason It Chooses: FOR HIS BEHAVIOR AS A SENATOR.

Not for whatever he stands accused of BEFORE he became a Senator.

Did you even read the material, at least read it beyond reading your own preconceptions into it?
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline aligncare

« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2017, 12:55:30 pm »

For Whatever Reason It Chooses: FOR HIS BEHAVIOR AS A SENATOR.

Not for whatever he stands accused of BEFORE he became a Senator.

Did you even read the material, at least read it beyond reading your own preconceptions into it?

Yes, you are correct; it covers his behavior as a senator.

Imagine this: the house and senate is overwhelmingly democrat (or republican). Someone from the minority party is elected to office, let’s say to the senate.

All the ruling party would have to do to continue consolidating its power is to plant operatives during an election campaign and drum up salacious allegations. On cue, majority members are outraged over the revelations about the minority member!

So by this ridiculous notion that the senate can expel an incoming member, duly elected by his state, based on 40-year-old rumors, the then newly elected member of the opposing party is suddenly gone. Problem solved.

The only thing that could mitigate against such a scenario would be the honor and honesty of congressmen.

:laughingdog:

Good luck with that.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2017, 01:14:50 pm »
Dems and Rinos have no character and know nothing about that. True conservatives wouldn’t make judgement without all the facts.

The facts appear overwhelming.   Multiple accounts, on the record. Corroboration.  Additional reports of "common knowledge" within the community that Moore was into young girls.  And Moore's own non-denial denials.   

Ted Cruz has counseled Moore to withdraw.  So has Mike Lee.  So has Richard Shelby,  Alabama's other Senator.

These aren't "true conservatives"?    Of course they are - ones with honor, and integrity, and a grasp of reality.   

Moore will play the martyr card, and some damn-fool Alabamians will be seduced.   But I'm no Yankee who cynically doubts the capacity of Alabamans to reject this disgraceful hypocrite.   If Moore doesn't drop out,  the Democrat will win.   If Moore does drop out, there's almost a month to put forward another candidate who conservatives can vote for with their heads held high.   
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 01:15:59 pm by Jazzhead »

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2017, 01:26:41 pm »

I am aware of no precedent for the Senate expelling one of its members for behavior taking place before the election.   Behavior that,  scandalous and skeevy though it is, will be well-known to the citizens of Alabama as they go to the polls.  Behavior that, as creepy and hypocritical as it is, is not criminal.   

I've stated time and again that Moore should withdraw,  that he's a hypocritical bigot,  and that if he doesn't withdraw the Democrat will surely win.    That's still my position.  But if for some reason the voters of Alabama elect him to the Senate despite all his hypocritical bigoted-ness,  then I will defend the sovereignty of the voters to send their choice to the Senate.    He can be shunned, ignored, denounced, shamed - but he should not be expelled, not on the basis of behavior the voters knew about and chose to disregard.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2017, 01:37:47 pm »
ones with honor, and integrity, and a grasp of reality.
<p>
You can not possibly be talking about Ted Cruz. The other maybe but
definitely not lying Ted.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2017, 01:42:51 pm »
If Moore doesn't drop out,  the Democrat will win.   If Moore does drop out, there's almost a month to put forward another candidate who conservatives can vote for with their heads held high. 

With their "heads held high" LOL, I like that.

Earth to @Jazzhead the next Senator from Alabama will be Moore or Jones.
Sorry Mitch but Strange is NOT going to be your Al boy after Dec.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2017, 01:49:55 pm »

It will be beyond humorous to hear the Senate Leadership explain the difference between a criminal sex abuse case whereby they went to bat to exonerate Democrat Bob Menendez, but are yanked up by their petards to demand expulsion/refusal to seat Moore for far less.

Lindsey Graham Calls for Roy Moore to Step Aside but Defends Bob Menendez

Graham not only hasn’t called for Democrat Sen. Bob Menendez (N.J.), accused of having sex with underage prostitutes, to step aside — he also went to New Jersey on his own dime to testify as a character witness in Menendez’s corruption trial, telling the judge that Menendez is “very honest” and “honorable.”

... the Department of Justice, in a court filing, later referred to “corroborating evidence” having been turned up to support the claims of underage prostitutes. The filing alleged that the prostitutes were hired to attend sex parties with Menendez and Melgen at Melgen’s villa, at a luxurious resort in the Dominican Republic called Casa de Campo.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline jpsb

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2017, 01:55:23 pm »
If Moore doesn't drop out,  the Democrat will win.   If Moore does drop out, there's almost a month to put forward another candidate who conservatives can vote for with their heads held high. 

With their "heads held high" LOL, I like that.

Earth to @Jazzhead the next Senator from Alabama will be Moore or Jones.
Sorry Mitch but Strange is NOT going to be your Al boy after Dec.

Better Strange than Doug Jones.   Oh well, have it your way.   *****rollingeyes*****

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2017, 01:55:43 pm »
The facts appear overwhelming.   Multiple accounts, on the record. Corroboration.  Additional reports of "common knowledge" within the community that Moore was into young girls.  And Moore's own non-denial denials.   

Ted Cruz has counseled Moore to withdraw.  So has Mike Lee.  So has Richard Shelby,  Alabama's other Senator.

These aren't "true conservatives"?    Of course they are - ones with honor, and integrity, and a grasp of reality.   

Moore will play the martyr card, and some damn-fool Alabamians will be seduced.   But I'm no Yankee who cynically doubts the capacity of Alabamans to reject this disgraceful hypocrite.   If Moore doesn't drop out,  the Democrat will win.   If Moore does drop out, there's almost a month to put forward another candidate who conservatives can vote for with their heads held high.
I’m sure Alabamians would, just like every other state, Love for the DC politics just to stay the hell out of state voter decisions.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2017, 01:57:55 pm »
I’m sure Alabamians would, just like every other state, Love for the DC politics just to stay the hell out of state voter decisions.

@RetBobbyMI
if he'll take our out of state money and support then he also needs to take our opinion on matters such as this.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2017, 02:00:00 pm »

@Bigun

" Expulsion

@To-Whose-Benefit?

Thank you!  They words "it's members"  seem to be giving some people here a little trouble so I'm glad you posted this.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2017, 02:02:34 pm »
Yes, you are correct; it covers his behavior as a senator.

Imagine this: the house and senate is overwhelmingly democrat (or republican). Someone from the minority party is elected to office, let’s say to the senate.

All the ruling party would have to do to continue consolidating its power is to plant operatives during an election campaign and drum up salacious allegations. On cue, majority members are outraged over the revelations about the minority member!

So by this ridiculous notion that the senate can expel an incoming member, duly elected by his state, based on 40-year-old rumors, the then newly elected member of the opposing party is suddenly gone. Problem solved.

The only thing that could mitigate against such a scenario would be the honor and honesty of congressmen.

:laughingdog:

Good luck with that.

@aligncare

Imagine what happens once we start allowing the media and our political elites to tell us who we can and cannot elect to represent us in government!

- J. R. R. Tolkien