Author Topic: A 12-Year-Old Girl With Epilepsy Is Suing Jeff Sessions Over Medical Marijuana  (Read 2882 times)

Offline Suppressed

A 12-Year-Old Girl With Epilepsy Is Suing Jeff Sessions Over Medical Marijuana
By Daniel Politi
NOV. 12 2017 6:18 PM
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2017/11/12/a_12_year_old_girl_with_epilepsy_is_suing_jeff_sessions_over_medical_marijuana.html

Alexis Bortell talks to local Fox affiliate KDVR about why she has joined a lawsuit against Attorney General Jeff Sessions over medical marijuana.

Alexis Bortell’s family moved to Colorado so they could legally get their hands on the cannabis oil that has proven to be the only effective treatment for her epilepsy. But now the 12-year-old girl can’t go back to Texas, where she hopes to attend college someday. “I would like to be able to visit my grandparents without risking being taken to a foster home,” Bortell said in an interview with local Fox affiliate KDVR. So she joined a lawsuit against Attorney General Jeff Sessions, the Department of Justice, and the Drug Enforcement Agency.

In Texas, the sixth-grader’s doctors were recommending brain surgery to treat the seizures that she had been suffering from since she was seven years old. But a pediatrician suggested the family should try medical marijuana first and they haven’t looked back. Thanks to a drop of the liquid THC in the morning and another at night, Bortell has not had a single seizure in two-and-a-half years. “I'd say it`s a lot better than brain surgery,” the 12-year-old said.

[...]
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Why are they suing Sessions over Texas law?

Offline Suppressed

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee

Democrats told them to do it.
Countdown to Resignation

Online Hoodat

My first thought as well.  Here is another case of liberal tyrants forcing Texas to adopt Colorado law just as they forced California to adopt Vermont marriage law.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline LottieDah

My son has been suffering with "seizure disorder (epilepsy) " since he was 12 years old.  His neurologist told him to stay away from marijuana, alcohol and other drugs.  How is medical marijuana supposed to help this child?  Can someone please shed some light on this?

Online Hoodat

My son has been suffering with "seizure disorder (epilepsy) " since he was 12 years old.  His neurologist told him to stay away from marijuana, alcohol and other drugs.  How is medical marijuana supposed to help this child?  Can someone please shed some light on this?

This has nothing to do with the child.  It has everything to do with erasing the Constitution.  Judges are now the new legislators.  They alone get to decide what States must do and not do.

Ain't tyranny great?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Placebo effect?  Wish fulfillment?

Online corbe

I am in no way diminishing the impact of Epilepsy on the Soul, I have first hand experience with it as I'm sure most here do but whoever would write a song about it?  (pretty damn good one if I can say)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7L7pzKxcpI
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline DiogenesLamp

There is an entire corps of Libertarians who take to their keyboards daily to proclaim all the myriad medical miracles wrought by marijuana.   They have so constantly made these claims that many people out there believe them.   

The truth is,  they just want to get high,  and they don't like laws banning marijuana,  so they toss out every single excuse and rationale under the sun in an effort to move public opinion to embrace allowing their stupid drug.   

I don't know if you've had much contact with "libertarians",   but pretty much the single defining characteristic of them is that they invariably insist on legalizing drugs. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
A 12-Year-Old Is Suing Jeff Sessions To Make Medical Marijuana Legal
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2017, 08:19:40 pm »
A 12-year-old Colorado girl believes that medical marijuana should be legal everywhere in the United States. And she just sued U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions to try to make that happen.

Alexis Bortell has epilepsy — and uses a cannabis oil called Haleigh’s Hope to manage her seizure disorder. Having suffered from seizures since the age of 7, Bortell and her family moved to Colorado so that she could be prescribed and take medical marijuana legally. Since her treatment began, Bortell has not had a seizure in three years. In addition to cannabis oil, Bortell also keeps a THC spray on her at all times, a kind of “rescue inhaler” to stop an oncoming seizure should she detect the warning signs — seeing spots — that indicate a seizure is coming.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/12-year-old-suing-jeff-sessions-make-medical-marijuana-legal-195435205.html
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline edpc

Re: A 12-Year-Old Is Suing Jeff Sessions To Make Medical Marijuana Legal
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2017, 08:20:26 pm »
So they moved years ago, but file suit now?  Obvious political stunt.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 08:24:10 pm by edpc »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Offline Applewood

All this medical marijuana nonsense is designed to lead to the eventual legalization of regular pot and probably every other illegal drug out there. 

Meanwhile,  the feds and states are doing their utmost to stamp out opioids, which many law abiding people need for real pain relief.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Alexis Bortell’s family moved to Colorado so they could legally get their hands on the cannabis oil that has proven to be the only effective treatment for her epilepsy. But now the 12-year-old girl can’t go back to Texas, where she hopes to attend college someday. “I would like to be able to visit my grandparents without risking being taken to a foster home,” Bortell said
My common sense proposal:

Go to college in Colorado, and have the grandparents come to visit in Colorado.

* I have heard MJ is useful for chemotherapy side effects, and for glaucoma....

If various claimed benefits turn out to be authentic, more Texans will wander over for their benefits.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
My common sense proposal:

Go to college in Colorado, and have the grandparents come to visit in Colorado.

* I have heard MJ is useful for chemotherapy side effects, and for glaucoma....

If various claimed benefits turn out to be authentic, more Texans will wander over for their benefits.

Way, way too much common sense!

Offline Victoria33

@LottieDah

There is a substance in a certain marijuana plant that stops seizures.  The substance is NOT the part that makes one nuts.  I recall the first time this was used.  A family outside of that state had a little girl who was seizing almost continually.  They went to a farm in Colorado who was growing the type plant that makes this substance.  She stopped having seizures so they moved there for this little girl.  It was a doctor who told them to try that because nothing else worked.

Everything God made on this earth is good.  We get all kinds of medicines from plants.  Because this plant can make people act nutty, people think it is bad.  It is what it is used for that is bad.  The medicinal part is not bad.

Wine is shown to be good for the body.  People overuse it and that makes it bad.  Salt is good for a person but if you eat a whole cup of it, it will kill you.

The problem is, God did not put instructions on plants.  When I see Him, I plan to tell Him that.

Online mountaineer

Heaven forbid we ask for some actual scientific evidence that mj provides even half the medical benefits its proponents claim.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Suppressed

Heaven forbid we ask for some actual scientific evidence that mj provides even half the medical benefits its proponents claim.

Yeah, I recall the Founding Fathers insisting that people can't do anything before proving to the Overlords of the State that it has benefit.

+++++++++

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Less than 200 years ago in America, an MD as we now them barely existed. (Harvard medical started 1782; 3rd oldest medical college)

They were still bleeding follks.

A category of people self-labeled themselves to be "doctors," based on reading various books. Some of those books, described medicinal use of plants.

One such was "Thompsonian" medicine. Based very much on Native American herbal treatments

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Thomson

The empirical evidence was results.

How do you lie the empirical results these days, of opioid pain meds?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online mountaineer

Yeah, I recall the Founding Fathers insisting that people can't do anything before proving to the Overlords of the State that it has benefit.
I didn't say that.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

The salient question......
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline goodwithagun

I don't know that we should base that much on scientific evidence. A recent report (was posted here but I'm too lazy to search) indicated that a significant amount of peer reviewed articles a actually were never peer reviewed. The science industry promotes gloBULL warming, while at the same time muzzling those researching the link between breast cancer and abortion.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline libertybele

The case for medical marijuana is growing especially for seizures, epilepsy, Parkinson, Multiple Sclerosis, Interstitial Cystitis, chronic pain, etc.  These conditions and diseases are debilitating and often times marijuana offers the only relief.

A story I often share is one about when I was taking my father to his chemo appointments.  I encountered a gentlemen who had had stomach cancer and was waiting for his follow up appointment.  He told me that the doctors had given him little hope and that they felt that though the disease was contained in the stomach it was literally eating away at him and would soon metastasize to surrounding organs.  He began chemo and radiation...nothing was working and the disease was progressing. The gentlemen stated that he stopped conventional treatments and to combat the pain he began smoking marijuana and consuming cannabis hemp oil.  Months later and much to the amazement of the doctors, the tumors in his stomach began to shrink...keep in mind that he had stopped the radiation and chemo as they weren't working.  He continued to ingest the hemp oil; after a period of time went by he said that they would not use the word 'cure' but they told him his tumors were undetectable.

So ... disbelieve all you want about the benefits of marijuana  ... my father underwent several rounds of chemotherapy for months that weren't working and his doctor ordered his last round of chemotherapy even though he had an elevated white count.  My father died 1 week after his last chemo treatment.  I firmly believe without question that the chemotherapy killed my father before the cancer did. 
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 12:48:04 am by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline edpc

I’m not going to say it has zero medical applications, but everyone knows the main drive behind legalization isn’t the medical proponents.  If it was a true wonder drug, Bob Marley would be alive and immortal.