Author Topic: Roy Moore declines to debate Dem opponent  (Read 753 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Roy Moore declines to debate Dem opponent
« on: November 10, 2017, 03:39:00 pm »
Roy Moore declines to debate Dem opponent
The Hill, Nov 9, 2017, Julia Manchester

Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore (R) has turned down an opportunity to debate his opponent, Doug Jones (D), because the differences between the two candidates are "crystal clear," according to Moore's campaign.

"While we appreciate the invitation from WHNT, the differences between the two candidates are crystal clear," Moore's campaign chairman, Bill Armistead, said in a statement to WHNT-TV in northern Alabama.

The CBS affiliate said on Wednesday that Moore's campaign had declined to debate Jones, adding that the station would have allowed both campaigns to agree on a preferred format and offered six potential dates between Nov. 27 and Dec. 7.

More:  http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/359578-roy-moore-declines-to-debate-dem-opponent

Offline endicom

Re: Roy Moore declines to debate Dem opponent
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 03:48:54 pm »
The vibes here are not real good.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 04:23:43 pm »
I saw this on the news yesterday, why not Roy? He almost needs to come out fighting now. I wonder if he had a whiff of this "alleged" scandal before it broke?

I wish he would debate his opponent.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 04:25:40 pm »
I saw this on the news yesterday, why not Roy? He almost needs to come out fighting now. I wonder if he had a whiff of this "alleged" scandal before it broke?

I wish he would debate his opponent.

It's Politics 101. You don't debate your opponent if you are way up in the polls. Why commit an unforced error.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 04:30:11 pm »
The problem with debates these days is the moderator. Usually the media, and they are biased. You have to weigh whether your willing to walk into a setup v. the possibility that not debating may cost you votes.

You can get your message across well with good campaign ads and other vehicles such that debates are not even necessary anymore.
The Republic is lost.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 04:31:08 pm »
The problem with debates these days is the moderator. Usually the media, and they are biased. You have to weigh whether your willing to walk into a setup v. the possibility that not debating may cost you votes.

You can get your message across well with good campaign ads and other vehicles such that debates are not even necessary anymore.

True... but this is going to be in Alabama after all.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 04:31:53 pm »
It's Politics 101. You don't debate your opponent if you are way up in the polls. Why commit an unforced error.

Absolutely so.

It's also kind of why I wonder if Moore knew these allegations were coming out ahead of time. It sounds like he did not.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 07:34:37 pm »
Some tough guy
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 08:04:49 pm »

And once more,   Frank is bringing the common sense.   

To Debate him now would be tantamount to begging to lose.    His opponent would force the conversation into Moore denying the allegations made against him,  and the entire debate would focus on that.   

The media would spin it as a horrible loss for Moore,  and the media would claim every answer he gave was dishonest and further proof of his guilt.     

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 11:22:30 pm »
the differences between the two candidates are crystal clear

Isn't Crystal Clear one of Moore's accusers?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 11:28:05 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2017, 04:15:33 am »

Especially with this newest stink in the air.

Debate wouldn't be about issues but the Dem and Moderators playing 'Got'cha' for at least 80% of it.

Moore would be a fool to take the stage under those conditions.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2017, 04:24:17 am »
Some tough guy

Yup, like every other coward who has refused to debate in recent years.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2017, 04:32:24 am »
Especially with this newest stink in the air.

Debate wouldn't be about issues but the Dem and Moderators playing 'Got'cha' for at least 80% of it.

Moore would be a fool to take the stage under those conditions.

It’s just a crude political ploy.

Btw It doesn’t surprise me that the usual characters with their impeachment wet dreams want a Democrat in that seat.