Author Topic: ‘What difference does it make how you got the role?’ Russian actresses and directors discuss sexual harassment in the film industry  (Read 385 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Excerpt:

‘What difference does it make how you got the role?’ Russian actresses and directors discuss sexual harassment in the film industry

Agniya Kuznetsova

Theater and film actress, best known for the movies “Cargo 200,” “Everybody Dies But Me,” and “The Dawns Here Are Quiet”
Artem Geodakyan / TASS

Women shouldn’t allow themselves to be touched, and these girls got what they wanted. If you’re presented with conditions where you need to sleep with the director in order to get a role, you either agree or you refuse. I don’t think this is some serial killer who came at Angelina Jolie with a knife and forced her to sleep with him. They [the actresses] have only themselves to blame; they shouldn’t be acting like prostitutes. I feel sorry for this poor man [Harvey Weinstein]. Women were created for schemes like this. Give them the chance, and they’ll weave some plot or turn on you.

I’m sure that the same thing happens in Russia, but not on the same scale. Actresses happily agree to different proposals, and later they expose it as “oh, all these directors are like this!” I won’t name any of the decorated actors who have been accused. You already know their names. And this is everywhere in the theater world. I’ve never found myself in such situations, and I never will, for various reasons. Just look at me. First, I’m not an item that arouses men at first sight. And second, just try to come up to me, let alone offer to rape me. How does that play out for you?

Read more at: https://meduza.io/en/feature/2017/10/18/what-difference-does-it-make-how-you-got-the-role

While I don't feel sorry for Weinstein, I think there is something to what she says.

One of the others interviewed, a male, noted how few women producers and directors there are. That's a good point.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 02:42:03 pm by TomSea »