Author Topic: Gordon Brown says Pentagon misled UK over case for Iraq invasion  (Read 586 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Gordon Brown says Pentagon misled UK over case for Iraq invasion
« on: November 06, 2017, 06:45:18 am »
Gordon Brown says Pentagon misled UK over case for Iraq invasion
The Guardian Michael Savage 23 hrs ago
Tony Blair and Gordon Brown: Gordon Brown claims Tony Blair used the assertion that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction to argue that Britain needed to join the military action. © Reuters

The US defence department knew that Saddam Hussein did not have weapons of mass destruction but kept Britain in the dark, according to an explosive new claim from Gordon Brown.

In an extraordinary allegation, the former prime minister states that a secret US intelligence report into Iraq’s military capabilities was never passed to Britain and could have changed the course of events. The revelation leads Brown to conclude that the “war could not be justified as a last resort and invasion cannot now be seen as a proportionate response”.

He adds that the evidence in question was never examined by the Chilcot inquiry into the Iraq war, which concluded that Britain chose to join the invasion before “peaceful options for disarmament” had been exhausted. Brown’s intervention will reopen the debate about Britain’s decision to join the US-led invasion of Iraq. Tony Blair used the assertion that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction to argue that Britain needed to join the military action.

Continued at: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/gordon-brown-says-pentagon-misled-uk-over-case-for-iraq-invasion/ar-AAusrOs?OCID=ansmsnnews11

A few different takes on this story, this report is more mild than some I have seen. Pretty bad if so, it will reopen the debate on the topic as stated in the article.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Gordon Brown says Pentagon misled UK over case for Iraq invasion
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 06:50:19 am »
George W Bush knew there was NO evidence of WMDs and duped Tony Blair into the Iraq War, says Gordon Brown

In his new book, the former PM says the UK would NEVER have invaded if they had seen secret intelligence report

Nigel Nelson Political Editor

00:01, 5 NOV 2017Updated08:17, 5 NOV 2017

Former American President George W. Bush duped Tony Blair into the 2003 Iraq War, Gordon Brown sensationally reveals today.

The US kept quiet about a top secret intelligence report which showed there was NO evidence Iraq had weapons of mass destruction.

And Mr Brown, Chancellor at the time, says Britain would not have invaded Iraq had we known about it.

Continued at: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/gordon-brown-claims-knew-no-11469120
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 06:51:40 am by TomSea »

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 06:53:28 am »
Brown wasn't there and he is a disgraced loser. Brown was in the middle of ruining Britain's economy and selling all their gold in 2003. He wasn't involved in anything foreign policy related. I tell him to find a clue, but he is blind as a bat.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 06:55:33 am »
You just posted the same GD story Tom....

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,289805.msg1506268.html#msg1506268

Are you on some sort of Jihad about the war or is your head up your ass?

Online Hoodat

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 02:29:30 pm »
Gordon Brown is full of it.  If anything, the Brits duped us with their intelligence report that they still to this day stand by.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 02:33:58 pm »
This graphic was taken from the 2004 report from Congress on Iraqi WMDs, found after the invasion.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 02:34:58 pm by Just_Victor »
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 02:38:06 pm »
There was plenty of WMD in Iraq but that slick bastard Saddam had it all labeled "Insecticide"!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Hoodat

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 02:43:30 pm »
The whole WMD argument is worthless anyway.  The reason for going to war was that Iraq was in violation of the cease fire agreement of 1991, which the Authorization for Use of Force clearly pointed out.

It galls me to no end to see posters here reciting 15-year-old discredited Democrat talking points.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Mod1

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 06:37:51 pm »
Threads merged. There's no reason for multiple threads on the same report.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 09:39:28 pm »
I must be wrong, I thought all our major allies were in agreement that there were WMD's and Saddam was too dangerous a threat to ignore. Did we not also watch shipment after shipment of WMD's leaving Iraq prior to the invasion as well as WMD's found in Iraq itself? This is just more liberal revisionism of history. I wonder how many years it will take to find out how much of American history has been revised by obungo and his stooges.