Author Topic: 'Mass shooting' reported at Sutherland Springs church in Texas  (Read 36364 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Re: 'Mass shooting' reported at Sutherland Springs church in Texas
« Reply #625 on: November 09, 2017, 12:29:18 am »
Some thoughts on the " Good guy with a gun" Stephen Willeford who put two bullets into the shooter. Thank God for him. Who knows how many more may have died. Maybe he was planning on hiting another church, or maybe police hurt in a shootout, who knows.   But a lesson to be had here. Once his gun safe was open he had to grab a box  of bullets and load the empty magazine to his AR-15. How many people were killed with the pop pop pop sound he said he was hearing as he loaded the magazine? I' sure that thought was rolling in his head as well, for what must have seemed like an eternity.   
A gun in a safe is perfectly fine, essecially if you have kids, but have it ready to rock as soon as the safe is open.  Empty magazines make no sense.

QFT!

Well said.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #626 on: November 09, 2017, 01:17:05 am »
Maybe if murder were against the law, these senseless killings would stop.

Too many senseless people.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #627 on: November 09, 2017, 02:52:33 am »
So you're against keeping a data base of folks with felony convictions that gun stores must check before selling a firearm?   According to Hoodat, that law prevents 48,000 legal sales per year.
GIGO. It didn't work because it wasn't followed by the agencies which should have reported the problem in the first place, so the firearm could not have been legally purchased. A relatively minor impediment, but one that may have heralded a problem that was developing. That would not have stopped the determined criminal form getting one, but it would have stopped him from purchasing the rifle legally.

However, that law didn't work. Because his priors had not been reported by the Air Force, and likely another law (HIPAA) prevented the release of the mental Health information that also could have been enough to prevent that sale or flag the attempt.

We don't need any more stinking laws. We need for the people who are charged with enforcing those laws to do so, with the laws we have.

In the mean time, If I want to buy, sell, or trade my legally owned firearms with another person, someone who is not a criminal or mentally deficient, I am free to do so.  If something seems sketchy about that, i am always free to nix the deal, and would feel morally obligated to not conduct a private deal.

Concentrating on the tool ignores the hand that wields it, and imho, that is the problem here, not the same type of rifle that ended the rampage, but the type of person behind it.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #628 on: November 09, 2017, 02:59:36 am »
So you're against keeping a data base of folks with felony convictions that gun stores must check before selling a firearm?   According to Hoodat, that law prevents 48,000 legal sales per year.

How many illegal sales did it prevent,  @Jazzhead?  I can think of a few right now, can you? 
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 02:59:55 am by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #629 on: November 09, 2017, 03:11:27 am »
Suggesting that those who favor laws that reasonably restrict the right of felons and domestic abusers to legally purchase firearms "don't support the Constitution" is exactly the sort of extremism that hurts the pro-RKBA cause.
You ignore that the Lautenberg Amendment was an ex post facto law, when it came to those convicted of even misdemeanor domestic violence prior to the passage of the law. That's specifically forbidden by the Constitution. So there was a problem from the git-go with that. Had it been from the date the law took effect, it would have been copacetic, despite not encompassing those abusers who had been convicted prior to the passage of the Amendment.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #630 on: November 09, 2017, 03:16:21 am »
Sorry, but I don't believe a moment of it - Likely opportunist criminals telling them what they want to hear fr an expected reward. It is SO simple to buy second hand, and even more simple to commit a burglary, that the reference you make can only be baloney.
I think it depends on the crime. Some urges to commit a criminal act are flashes in the pan, so to speak, and hampered, even for a little while, just might not happen. Crimes of passion might be curtailed, or just forced to use a different weapon.

The ones which will not be deterred were smoldering for a bit before the flames came along. Those are hatreds developed and nursed over a period of time, and allowed to become obsessions. Someone with a longstanding grudge is more patient and will do what it takes to settle the score. Others will just supply themselves with the tools they think they will need for a robbery, etc.; just something else to check off on the supply list.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #631 on: November 09, 2017, 03:33:43 am »
@austingirl, I just watched this video of Johnny Langendorf.  I had seen him interviewed before and thought, well, he's a little funny looking, but he speaks OK.  This is a better interview, and may just restore a bit of faith in humanity.  Well worth watching all the way through. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9xyY0wbcKo
Some folks instinctively run toward the sound of trouble.

The CNN guy cracks me up, saying it is uncertain whether the shooter died of wounds inflicted near the church or by his own hand. (If he had already died of previously inflicted wounds, how would he have shot himself?)

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

« Reply #632 on: November 09, 2017, 03:45:04 am »
I think it depends on the crime. Some urges to commit a criminal act are flashes in the pan, so to speak, and hampered, even for a little while, just might not happen. Crimes of passion might be curtailed, or just forced to use a different weapon.

Perhaps, but the point is whether gun registries and criminal registries literally stop criminals from getting guns. That my friend, is utter fallacy... a position which your sojourns dressed in gypsy leather, if no other reasons, should have left you readily disabused of any modicum of truth it may pretend...

It disheartens me that our fellows express astonishment rather than ire that the system works at all - a tribute to a naivete built of gossamer threads, oblivious to the heaving masses just below, that await nothing more than the day that they can rise up against an undefended people...

And I know you know it.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #633 on: November 09, 2017, 04:02:38 am »
Some folks instinctively run toward the sound of trouble.

The CNN guy cracks me up, saying it is uncertain whether the shooter died of wounds inflicted near the church or by his own hand. (If he had already died of previously inflicted wounds, how would he have shot himself?)

Can't watch video, but...couldn't the guy have bled out from earlier wounds?
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Idiot

« Reply #634 on: November 09, 2017, 04:16:18 am »
When I heard about this shooting, it made my physically ill.  I can't imagine the hate this man must have had. 

May God wrap His loving arms around these precious people.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #635 on: November 09, 2017, 04:27:58 am »
Can't watch video, but...couldn't the guy have bled out from earlier wounds?
My point being that if he'd bled out, how would he shoot himself? Sure, something killed him, but it's tough to shoot yourself after you're dead (unless you have been hanging out with the Clintons).

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #636 on: November 09, 2017, 04:35:05 am »
Perhaps, but the point is whether gun registries and criminal registries literally stop criminals from getting guns. That my friend, is utter fallacy... a position which your sojourns dressed in gypsy leather, if no other reasons, should have left you readily disabused of any modicum of truth it may pretend...

It disheartens me that our fellows express astonishment rather than ire that the system works at all - a tribute to a naivete built of gossamer threads, oblivious to the heaving masses just below, that await nothing more than the day that they can rise up against an undefended people...

And I know you know it.
Sure I know it. I was just looking for crimes that the NICS might, once in a while, prevent.

We both know that if a serious criminal wants a gun, they'll have one within 24 hours or be back in custody over trying to, and the smart money is on the former. Crazy people aren't stupid, they're crazy. They can plan and scheme and do some pretty elaborate stuff--as elaborate as the delusions that drive them.

C S Lewis

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #637 on: November 09, 2017, 01:09:16 pm »
GIGO. It didn't work because it wasn't followed by the agencies which should have reported the problem in the first place, so the firearm could not have been legally purchased. A relatively minor impediment, but one that may have heralded a problem that was developing. That would not have stopped the determined criminal form getting one, but it would have stopped him from purchasing the rifle legally.

However, that law didn't work. Because his priors had not been reported by the Air Force, and likely another law (HIPAA) prevented the release of the mental Health information that also could have been enough to prevent that sale or flag the attempt.

We don't need any more stinking laws. We need for the people who are charged with enforcing those laws to do so, with the laws we have.

In the mean time, If I want to buy, sell, or trade my legally owned firearms with another person, someone who is not a criminal or mentally deficient, I am free to do so.  If something seems sketchy about that, i am always free to nix the deal, and would feel morally obligated to not conduct a private deal.

Concentrating on the tool ignores the hand that wields it, and imho, that is the problem here, not the same type of rifle that ended the rampage, but the type of person behind it.

In the context of this particular crime,  I agree that there was already a law in place and the lack of enforcement of that law (i.e., the Air Force's failure to provide the information to fill the data base) is the issue.   

But the larger issue,  as you and roamer have cited,  is ease at which bad guys can illegally obtain guns.  I've heard the response that no new laws are needed because criminals can "always" get the guns they need.   In a nation where the number of guns far outstrips the number of people, illegal transfers of firearms are simply a fact of life, and the carnage caused by illegal guns is the price we pay for living in this country. 

I can't agree with that.  That is why I continue to advocate a similar regime as we require for motor vehicle ownership - registration and insurance.    Own as many guns as you want, so long as they are registered and insured.   

The insurance I'd propose is similar to PIP insurance that most states require of car owners.   Simple no-fault insurance that will pay the medical bills and restore lost income to the victims of injury caused by an insured gun.   The way I'd work it is to require insurance up until the time when a gun is legally sold, transferred or reported lost to the police.   That will provide a monetary incentive to report sales, transfers and losses, and to keep guns safely stored so as to prevent losses.   It would help address the abuse where sellers don't have your sense of moral obligation not to conduct a private sale when the buyer is "sketchy".   Conduct a private sale or swap,  but only upon such conditions that permit your obligation to continue to insure that gun to be lifted.   

We live with such requirements routinely with our cars - useful but potentially deadly implements just as guns are.   The burden of insurance causes us to make sure unauthorized use is monitored, and that transactions take place with proper transfer of title and registration.     
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 01:14:02 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline thackney

« Reply #638 on: November 09, 2017, 01:30:27 pm »
In the context of this particular crime,  I agree that there was already a law in place and the lack of enforcement of that law (i.e., the Air Force's failure to provide the information to fill the data base) is the issue.   

But the larger issue,  as you and roamer have cited,  is ease at which bad guys can illegally obtain guns.  I've heard the response that no new laws are needed because criminals can "always" get the guns they need.   In a nation where the number of guns far outstrips the number of people, illegal transfers of firearms are simply a fact of life, and the carnage caused by illegal guns is the price we pay for living in this country. 

I can't agree with that.  That is why I continue to advocate a similar regime as we require for motor vehicle ownership - registration and insurance.    Own as many guns as you want, so long as they are registered and insured.   

The insurance I'd propose is similar to PIP insurance that most states require of car owners.   Simple no-fault insurance that will pay the medical bills and restore lost income to the victims of injury caused by an insured gun.   The way I'd work it is to require insurance up until the time when a gun is legally sold, transferred or reported lost to the police.   That will provide a monetary incentive to report sales, transfers and losses, and to keep guns safely stored so as to prevent losses.   It would help address the abuse where sellers don't have your sense of moral obligation not to conduct a private sale when the buyer is "sketchy".   Conduct a private sale or swap,  but only upon such conditions that permit your obligation to continue to insure that gun to be lifted.   

We live with such requirements routinely with our cars - useful but potentially deadly implements just as guns are.   The burden of insurance causes us to make sure unauthorized use is monitored, and that transactions take place with proper transfer of title and registration.   

It seems to be contradictory line of thought.  The ease of buying stolen or illegal property negates the effectiveness of registering and insuring guns.  Especially the insuring part.  Your existing insurance is not going to cover you for illegals actions on your part.  It will be the same guns.  Do you think the owner of a stolen car is responsible to provide the medical insurance for the people the thief runs over?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #639 on: November 09, 2017, 01:34:16 pm »

Registration of all guns?  Nope.  And your concept of "insurance" is just a back-door way of inflating the cost.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #640 on: November 09, 2017, 02:02:25 pm »
It seems to be contradictory line of thought.  The ease of buying stolen or illegal property negates the effectiveness of registering and insuring guns.  Especially the insuring part.  Your existing insurance is not going to cover you for illegals actions on your part.  It will be the same guns.  Do you think the owner of a stolen car is responsible to provide the medical insurance for the people the thief runs over?

I'm suggesting a simple no-fault rule - insurance to pay for the medical bills of persons caused by a gun under your ostensible custody and control.

I believe the rule is that you can be held liable for the damage your car causes to others,  including by reason of unauthorized use, unless and until the car is reported stolen or missing.   That's what I'm trying to get at here -  a regime of liability for damage done by a gun under your custody and control provides an incentive to report thefts (and to keep a gun stored safely to deter thefts), since the filing of a police report absolves you of liability.

From an insurance company website:

Informing your insurance carrier of the vehicle theft could help protect you if the thief causes damage to others with your car.  Your liability coverages normally don't cover damages that your stolen car does to others since you cannot usually be held liable when the car is under the control of a thief.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #641 on: November 09, 2017, 02:03:48 pm »
Seems eminently logical, which is why a liberal will never agree.

Some people continue pounding the idea that guns are the problem and it is that bad people are the problem instead.

This guy would have killed more people if he had simply locked the doors of the church and torched it.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #642 on: November 09, 2017, 02:05:20 pm »
Registration of all guns?  Nope.  And your concept of "insurance" is just a back-door way of inflating the cost.

Yes, insurance carries a cost.  I know that twice a year when I cut a check.  But my car is both useful to me and potentially dangerous to others.   So I must both register and insure it.   

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #643 on: November 09, 2017, 02:07:56 pm »

Some people continue pounding the idea that guns are the problem and it is that bad people are the problem instead.

Both are the problem.   You cannot deny that a gun - like an automobile - is an inherently dangerous implement.   Registration and insurance can be an effective means of helping to deter guns from falling into the hands of bad people.   

Offline libertybele

« Reply #644 on: November 09, 2017, 02:08:34 pm »
Some thoughts on the " Good guy with a gun" Stephen Willeford who put two bullets into the shooter. Thank God for him. Who knows how many more may have died. Maybe he was planning on hiting another church, or maybe police hurt in a shootout, who knows.   But a lesson to be had here. Once his gun safe was open he had to grab a box  of bullets and load the empty magazine to his AR-15. How many people were killed with the pop pop pop sound he said he was hearing as he loaded the magazine? I' sure that thought was rolling in his head as well, for what must have seemed like an eternity.   
A gun in a safe is perfectly fine, essecially if you have kids, but have it ready to rock as soon as the safe is open.  Empty magazines make no sense.
888high58888  Excellent point Navy!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #645 on: November 09, 2017, 02:14:09 pm »

Quote from: Jazzhead

How many illegal sales did it prevent,  @Jazzhead?  I can think of a few right now, can you?

@Cyber Liberty

Just to be clear, I never said that the law prevents 48,000 'legal' sales per year.  I am saying that failure to prosecute these felonious attempts is the reason there were 48,000 attempts.

@Jazzhead , look at it this way.  For the sake of argument, let's say the background checks have a 98% success rate.  So for the 48,000 who got caught, there were another 980 who did not.  That's 980 convicted felons who made it through the background check process and 'legally' purchased firearms.

So considering your 2% failure rate, would you rather have 49,000 felons attempting to purchase firearms each year, or would you rather have only 500.  I don't know about your math, but 2% of 500 is a hell of a lot less than 2% of 48,980.  And what is the best way to reduce that 49,890 number?  Start prosecuting felons who get caught lying on Form 4473.

Because catching 490 out of 500 felons trying to purchase guns should be the target here instead of catching 48,000 out of 48,980.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #646 on: November 09, 2017, 02:16:19 pm »
Yes, insurance carries a cost.  I know that twice a year when I cut a check.  But my car is both useful to me and potentially dangerous to others.   So I must both register and insure it.

There isn't a constitutionally affirmed right to a car.  Your car analogy is invalid.  it's just another attempt to boost the cost of asserting a constitutional right.

You have been pulling our legs about being "pro-Second Amendment."  It's a shame, too.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #647 on: November 09, 2017, 02:18:25 pm »
Registration and insurance can be an effective means of helping to deter guns from falling into the hands of bad people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #648 on: November 09, 2017, 02:20:57 pm »
There isn't a constitutionally affirmed right to a car.  Your car analogy is invalid.  it's just another attempt to boost the cost of asserting a constitutional right.

You have been pulling our legs about being "pro-Second Amendment."  It's a shame, too.

And how come we continue to insure inanimate objects (cars) which can do absolutely nothing without human intervention?  Shouldn't we be insuring drivers instead of cars?  Except for the insurance lobby we would be!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #649 on: November 09, 2017, 02:23:43 pm »
You cannot deny that a gun - like an automobile - is an inherently dangerous implement. 

So is drain cleaner, steak knives and boiling water.
Countdown to Resignation