Author Topic: 'Mass shooting' reported at Sutherland Springs church in Texas  (Read 36459 times)

Offline Suppressed

Re: 'Mass shooting' reported at Sutherland Springs church in Texas
« Reply #375 on: November 06, 2017, 07:36:46 pm »
@Suppressed Where have you seen that?

Looks like I misread things. 

Sutherland Springs Church Shooting: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know
Devin Kelley’s LinkedIn page says that he was a VBS “teacher aid (sic)” for “VBS AT KINGSVILLE FBC” and notes, “Dates volunteered Jun 2013 – Jun 2013 Volunteer duration 1 mo. Cause Children. Teaching children ages 4-6 at vocational bible schools helping their minds grow and prosper.”

So I guess that's a bit older...2013.  The FB like for "Atheism" might indicate a change from then.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #376 on: November 06, 2017, 07:37:12 pm »
Easy enough to do. Easy enough to miss. My wife got a call from animal control last week that they had a Yorkie and the tag number came up as it being our dog.  They had transposed the last two numbers on the tag. They seemed at a loss as to what to do. Why don't you call the people you have as the owners with the tag numbers of our dog???? And fix your clerical error.

@Smokin Joe

States, even counties, are notorious for their lack of information sharing.  To show up on NCIS, you have to be in that system. States don't put everyone into the national database. So he may have been shut down in Texas because he is in their system. But if he wasn't put into the national database by Texas, Colorado, or NCIS, wouldn't have a clue.

But, Fred, would it have been the jurisdiction of Texas or Colorado if it was prosecuted by the Air Force? 

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #377 on: November 06, 2017, 07:39:24 pm »
So basically, the Obama administration dropped the ball.

Again, adding to my last post. Counties here sometimes only care about what you have been convicted of in their county. And the information doesn't go any further.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #378 on: November 06, 2017, 07:41:00 pm »
In a logical world, both court systems should be reporting Lautenberg violations to NICS, right?  (For the record, I don't like the Lautenberg Amendment)

In some cases, the Lautenberg Amendment (and the state precursors) have led to some pretty severe abuse of victims.  "If you're gonna get my guns taken away, b**ch, I'll make you pay!", or out of just plain anger about it.  Some state studies showed that the average violence in confrontations went up after passage of those laws and laws that required police to charge someone in any domestic incident.  Rather than allowing for de-escalation, it pushes things.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #379 on: November 06, 2017, 07:41:10 pm »
But, Fred, would it have been the jurisdiction of Texas or Colorado if it was prosecuted by the Air Force?

Does the military automatically enter their information into NCIS? That is your question. And about that, I do not know.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #380 on: November 06, 2017, 07:42:51 pm »
Texas shooter may have been motivated to kill by domestic situation-NPR

Grandmother-In-Law Of Suspect Among Texas Church Shooting Victims

November 6, 2017 11:50 AM

SUTHERLAND SPRINGS (CBSDFW/AP/CNN) – Officials say that the 26 people killed in a shooting at a small South Texas church range in age from 18 months to 77 years old, including the grandmother-in-law of the suspect.  .  .  .

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2017/11/06/18-month-old-among-texas-church-shooting-victims/
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #381 on: November 06, 2017, 07:44:09 pm »
Does the military automatically enter their information into NCIS? That is your question. And about that, I do not know.

No, I don't either.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #382 on: November 06, 2017, 07:47:02 pm »
No, I don't either.

I don't think there is much information sharing between the military branches, either. And very little between them and the other security agencies, who don't share information with each other,  at the national level.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #383 on: November 06, 2017, 08:13:57 pm »

Grandmother-In-Law Of Suspect Among Texas Church Shooting Victims

November 6, 2017 11:50 AM

SUTHERLAND SPRINGS (CBSDFW/AP/CNN) – Officials say that the 26 people killed in a shooting at a small South Texas church range in age from 18 months to 77 years old, including the grandmother-in-law of the suspect.  .  .  .

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2017/11/06/18-month-old-among-texas-church-shooting-victims/

Texas Department of Public Safety Regional Director Freeman Martin said Monday that the mass shooting stemmed from a domestic situation and was not racially or religiously motivated.

The fact that it was a domestic situation doesn't exclude the possibility that it was also religiously motivated.

I don't like it when officials draw conclusions before the facts are fully presented.

This happens all the time.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline corbe

« Reply #384 on: November 06, 2017, 08:27:29 pm »

Texas church shooting suspect bought guns after checks -seller
Reuters 14 mins ago

The man accused of killing 26 people at a Texas church bought two firearms from stores operated by a sporting goods chain in 2016 and 2017 after being approved in background checks, the company, Academy Sports & Outdoors, said on Monday.

"Both sales were approved by the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS). We are cooperating with law enforcement as they investigate further," privately owned Academy Sports said in a statement.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/breakingnews/texas-church-shooting-suspect-bought-guns-after-checks-seller/ar-AAuwhvF?li=AA4ZnC&ocid=ientp
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #385 on: November 06, 2017, 08:34:02 pm »

Heartbreaking: Eight months pregnant Crystal Holcombe (center) died in the church shooting on Sunday alongside her son Greg (far left), daughters Emily and Megan. Her husband, John (far right) survived alongside two of their children. It's unclear if they are among the injured
 8888crybaby

more
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5055275/Pictured-Mother-five-killed-family-members.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #386 on: November 06, 2017, 08:48:32 pm »
Both sales were approved by the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS). 
'Cuz he lied on the form?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #387 on: November 06, 2017, 08:56:14 pm »
No, I don't either.

IIRC if you receive a Bad Conduct or Dishonorable discharge it goes into the federal system and pops up if you ever try to purchase a weapon.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #388 on: November 06, 2017, 08:57:45 pm »
IIRC if you receive a Bad Conduct or Dishonorable discharge it goes into the federal system and pops up if you ever try to purchase a weapon.

I would think so. 

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #389 on: November 06, 2017, 09:04:08 pm »

A major finding of the 9/11 Commission study was that  LEO agencies had "stove piping" of data. IOW they did NOT share data.

The FBI and CIA and  DIA and others, did not inform their counterparts, of vital information about dangerous people and situations.

There was much talk vowing to do better.

Now we see where 26 people may be dead, due to the same shortcoming of LEO data sharing.

I have noticed this type of shortcoming is merely taken in stride, by government employee types, including LEO.

I live near a locations where 3 different jurisdictions come together; namely city, county and state.

Officers use "field interviews," to note contact with dubious individuals. It is sort of a first warning eg. "I've noted our contact."

The bad guys benefit, since the 3 jurisdictions don't communicate with each other.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #390 on: November 06, 2017, 09:14:33 pm »
A major finding of the 9/11 Commission study was that  LEO agencies had "stove piping" of data. IOW they did NOT share data.

The FBI and CIA and  DIA and others, did not inform their counterparts, of vital information about dangerous people and situations.

Now we see where 26 people may be dead, due to the same shortcoming of LEO data sharing.

I have noticed this type of shortcoming is merely taken in stride, by government employee types, including LEO.

I live near a locations where 3 different jurisdictions come together; namely city, county and state.

Officers use "field interviews," to note contact with dubious individuals. It is sort of a first warning eg. "I've noted our contact."

The bad guys benefit, since the 3 jurisdictions don't communicate with each other.

Mrs. Liberty is from your general area (OC), and she confirms it's like that all over the state.  Sheriff and City are notorious for never talking.  Manson almost got away with the Tate and LaBianca murders because of it.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #391 on: November 06, 2017, 09:23:19 pm »
Easy enough to do. Easy enough to miss. My wife got a call from animal control last week that they had a Yorkie and the tag number came up as it being our dog.  They had transposed the last two numbers on the tag. They seemed at a loss as to what to do. Why don't you call the people you have as the owners with the tag numbers of our dog???? And fix your clerical error.

@Smokin Joe

States, even counties, are notorious for their lack of information sharing.  To show up on NCIS, you have to be in that system. States don't put everyone into the national database. So he may have been shut down in Texas because he is in their system. But if he wasn't put into the national database by Texas, Colorado, or NCIS, wouldn't have a clue.
I think you meant National Instant Check System (NICS) rather than the Naval Criminal Investigative Service (NCIS). In this case, the information sharing would have to be between the Military and the Feds, because he was tried by a Military Court. He still might not be in a NCIS database (not sure), because he was Air Force, and iirc, they mainly cover the Navy and USMC.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #392 on: November 06, 2017, 09:27:34 pm »
Again, adding to my last post. Counties here sometimes only care about what you have been convicted of in their county. And the information doesn't go any further.
NICS is Federal. That background check is ordinarily required.
Perhaps Texas or Colo have an 'easy out' without background check for active duty military (such as exists in some states for CCW holders who have already been background checked in order to get the permit), but he had been out of the service since before his first purchase.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #393 on: November 06, 2017, 09:35:24 pm »

The Gorelick Memo saw to that stovepiping during the Clinton Administration, but it mainly dealt with intelligence data, iirc, and not ordinary criminal case dispositions. Had that stovepiping NOT been present (a legacy of the Clinton Administration, and quite possibly of significant benefit to them) it is possible military intelligence might have been able to compare notes with the FBI, BATF, and CIA and perhaps 9/11 could have been prevented.

Even more obscene is that Gorelick sat on the 9/11 commission, to investigate what went wrong. That was the first solid sense I had that CYA mechanisms were in place for the Clintons, and that became even more corrupt under Obama. If Trump fails to clean house, those people will be a stumbling block for every investigation, like Comey with the E-mails, and the absolute lack of anything done over Benghazi, Fast and Furious, and Now the Uranium deal.

C S Lewis

Offline Applewood

« Reply #394 on: November 06, 2017, 09:36:07 pm »
I disagree.  Meanness isn't a mental illness.  Violence isn't correlated with mental illness.

This is not a killing by a gangsta or gangsta wannabe in a big city like Chicago over turf, women or drugs.  This is about a guy who maybe decided that whatever was wrong in his life was the fault of the parishioners in a church -- including the tiniest baby and the senior citizens -- and decided to slaughter them all.  If that isn't mental illness, I don't know what is. 

I'm old enough to remember the 50s, when such mass murders were unheard of.  When I grew up, I read Truman Capote's In Cold Blood, about the 1950s slaughter of an entire family in a rural farming community by two cons.  The story was shocking simply because such mass murder wasn't common back in those days. 

Today we are seeing mass murder on a weekly basis.  Yes, some of these are being done by jihadis who hate the west, but too many are being committed by ordinary people with no ties to violent hate groups.  Why are these murders becoming so commonplace?  Is there something in the water supply that is causing people to snap?    Might be a good idea to find out, rather than have the Democrat knee jerk reaction of banning and confiscating all firearms. 

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #395 on: November 06, 2017, 09:39:30 pm »
In a logical world, both court systems should be reporting Lautenberg violations to NICS, right?  (For the record, I don't like the Lautenberg Amendment)

I didn't like Senator Lautenberg, but I can't speak ill of the dead. I never voted for him and he was mean to my favorite congressperson of all time, Millicent Fenwick.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #396 on: November 06, 2017, 09:41:43 pm »

Heartbreaking: Eight months pregnant Crystal Holcombe (center) died in the church shooting on Sunday alongside her son Greg (far left), daughters Emily and Megan. Her husband, John (far right) survived alongside two of their children. It's unclear if they are among the injured
 8888crybaby

more
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5055275/Pictured-Mother-five-killed-family-members.html

If she was 8 months pregnant, that is one more life he took, imho, though I apologize to the mods because this shouldn't be on this thread. I'm just upset.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 09:42:38 pm by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #397 on: November 06, 2017, 09:57:42 pm »
I didn't like Senator Lautenberg, but I can't speak ill of the dead. I never voted for him and he was mean to my favorite congressperson of all time, Millicent Fenwick.

@Freya

Millicent Fenwick was awesome.  I remember the National Organization of (Liberal) Women always backing her male Democrat opponent.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #398 on: November 06, 2017, 09:58:05 pm »
If she was 8 months pregnant, that is one more life he took, imho, though I apologize to the mods because this shouldn't be on this thread. I'm just upset.

I think it fits just fine, Freya.  We're upset, too, when we see stories like this one.  I reckon every single person in that town is devastated, because everybody knows somebody who was cut down yesterday.  Hugs! 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #399 on: November 06, 2017, 10:16:20 pm »
This evil bastard broke his stepson's skull and served a year in the brig. That was his first wife. Danielle Shields was his second wife, married in 2014. She is from Sutherland Springs, not the first wife.

He was also charged with animal cruelty in Colorado. He liked to hurt defenseless infants and puppies. Wonder if he wet the bed and started fires as a child.
Principles matter. Words matter.