Author Topic: Trump picks Jerome Powell to succeed Yellen as Fed chair  (Read 730 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

Trump picks Jerome Powell to succeed Yellen as Fed chair
« on: November 02, 2017, 08:13:56 pm »
SOURCE: CNBC

URL: https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/02/trump-picks-jerome-powell-to-succeed-yellen-as-fed-chair.html

by Jeff Cox

President Donald Trump nominated Jerome Powell to run the Federal Reserve once current Chair Janet Yellen's term expires, in a move widely expected and one unlikely to disturb the roaring stock market. Trump made the announcement during an afternoon ceremony in the Rose Garden.

The move follows an extended period of speculation over who would be named to head the central bank, whose aggressive policies have been considered central to a climate of low interest rates and booming asset prices.

"Today is an important milestone on the path to restoring economic opportunity to the American people," Trump said with Powell standing to his right. The president said the Fed requires "strong, sound and steady leadership" and Powell "will provide exactly that type of leadership."

"He's strong, he's committed and he's smart, and if he is confirmed by the Senate, Jay will put his considerable talents and experience to work leading our nation's independent central bank," Trump added.

Powell led a diverse field of potential nominees that included former Governor Kevin Warsh, Stanford economist John Taylor, chief Trump economic advisor Gary Cohn, and Yellen herself.

Trump's relationship with Yellen evolved; during the 2016 presidential campaign he said the Fed chief should be "ashamed" of the way she has run the Fed, arguing that Yellen kept policy loose for political reasons to boost the fortunes of former President Barack Obama.

Since taking office, though, his views changes and he offered warm words for her Thursday despite deciding to replace Yellen and make her the shortest-serving Fed chair since G. William Miller served from 1978-79.

"I think the president has made a spectacular choice, and I'm really supportive of what the president is doing," Cohn told the Economic Club of Washington, D.C. earlier in the day. "I'm really supportive of the president."

Powell was named to fill an unexpired term in 2012 that won't end until 2028. He is viewed as a convenient choice, someone who likely will continue the programs of the Yellen Fed but allow Trump a chance to put his own stamp on the central bank.

(EXCERPT) CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST

Offline endicom

Re: Trump picks Jerome Powell to succeed Yellen as Fed chair
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 08:36:30 pm »
Governor Powell is a strong defender of free enterprise and the independence of the Federal Reserve System.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2017/11/02/trump-announces-the-next-federal-reserve-chairman-n2404072

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 10:54:15 pm »
Career highlights as recorded by Wikipedia:

> Lifelong resident of Washington, DC
> Corporate attorney and banking executive, 1979-1990
> Joined the U.S. Treasury Dept. when one of his bosses joined the George HW Bush administration
> After Clinton was elected, joined Bankers Trust. Within two years, it was caught in a derivatives scandal and he was forced to resign
> Private equity fund manager from 1997 to 2012. From 2008 onward, ran a "green energy"-centric fund
> Paid over $30K (somehow) to McCain's 2008 Presidential campaign
> As a lobbyist, he pushed for raising the debt ceiling in 2011
> Later in 2011, Obama nominates him to the Fed board of governors
> Has spoken against government intervention into big business but, when he votes on it, consistently votes in favor of the policies he criticizes

I'm not particularly impressed
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 10:57:00 pm »
One old white swamp man is replaced with another old white swamp man. Swell. At least they can still use Yellen's stock press photo for this guy and save money.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 10:57:52 pm »
No swamp draining if Jerome Powell can prevent it!

https://www.cato.org/multimedia/media-highlights-tv/george-selgin-discusses-potential-appointees-federal-reserve-chairman

Janet Yellen in a tie. Swamp creature. The market seemed to like him.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 11:07:57 pm »
Bookmark
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 11:11:36 pm »
Janet Yellen in a tie. Swamp creature. The market seemed to like him.

Of course!  They love free money!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 11:18:12 pm »
Of course!  They love free money!

Since I don't own FANG stocks, I'm not making any money in the market. I would much rather have my money in a nice 5% CD like the gold old days.
Principles matter. Words matter.