Author Topic: North Korea defector urges US to use soft power  (Read 447 times)

Offline Suppressed

North Korea defector urges US to use soft power
« on: November 02, 2017, 03:34:38 pm »
North Korea defector urges US to use soft power
9 hours ago
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-41840866

A high-level defector has told the US Congress that spreading outside information in North Korea is the best way to deal with the regime.

Thae Yong-ho said undermining Kim Jong-un's God-like status among his people could be key to weakening his rule.

North Koreans "don't care about state propaganda but increasingly watch illegally imported South Korean movies and dramas," he added.

[...]

People were getting more access to outside information, including through micro SD cards which were small enough to be easily smuggled into the country, he added.

Young North Koreans have begun calling said devices "nose cards" because they can be smuggled even inside one's nostrils, he cited as an example.

[...]

"The US is spending billions of dollars to cope with the military threat and yet how much does the US spend each year on information activities involving North Korea in a year? Unfortunately, it may be a tiny fraction," he said.

[...]

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

Re: North Korea defector urges US to use soft power
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 03:37:47 pm »
Human Rights Foundation and Forum 280 are collecting flash drives to give to North Korean, refugee-led organizations that fill them with films, books, and internet content, and smuggle them into North Korea.

You can check out their website here:
http://www.flashdrivesforfreedom.org/

They issue tax receipts for donated drives.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 04:28:37 pm »
"nose cards"

The nose cards, I heard about those, hide them in the nostril, safe from searches, at least that's the insinuation.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 04:31:20 pm »
at least that's the insinuation.

I hope they don't get insinuated.  That would be hard to get out.

+++++++++