Author Topic: BREAKING>>>Multiple people reported down in shooting at Colorado Walmart: Police  (Read 2218 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
From that story:
Yes, that is the official line right now.

Sad, the injured person passed away, 3 dead. Maybe he was a random shooter and after he shot 3, he decided he wanted to escape or not continue.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
It would be very unusual for the guy to shoot just a few random people. I bet there is a connection.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
It would be very unusual for the guy to shoot just a few random people. I bet there is a connection.

We just might be living in unusual times.

Offline Millee

My daughter's friend was there at the shooting.  Thankfully, she was across the store, but she was still pretty shaken.   **nononono*

I'm guessing we'll learn more about this guy than we ever will about Stephen Paddock. 

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
I'm guessing we'll learn more about this guy than we ever will about Stephen Paddock.

I've learned over time that the media will "disappear" a story of the facts are inconvenient. That would be Paddock and the driver in Charlottesville. Both stories just disappeared after a while.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Applewood

I'm learning as we see more and more of these shootings/terrorist acts that nothing is all that unusual.

Offline TomSea

As morbid as it is to say, I wonder if this guy, Ostrem, just walked up behind people and shot them in the back of the head. That's kind of scary to think about.  I've thought of how at times, we are vulnerable, even the most secured-minded people.

I think there was once some sort of incident in a Walmart where some troublemaker was taken down by a person carrying a weapon. Of course, all of this gets into "no gun zones" and all of that and this event will prove to be a headache for Walmart and other similar stores.

Offline Applewood

As morbid as it is to say, I wonder if this guy, Ostrem, just walked up behind people and shot them in the back of the head. That's kind of scary to think about.  I've thought of how at times, we are vulnerable, even the most secured-minded people.

I was thinking he just pointed and shot.  Then again when I saw the photo of the suspect's car with another car, I at first thought "road rage."  But what do I know?

I'm going to guess that eventually, you won't be able to enter any building without going through a metal detector or getting goosed by some TSA person or TSA wannabe.  It's just too dangerous to go anywhere in public.  If you have a firearm and can carry, do so.

Offline Suppressed

With three out of three being fatalities, that is a good guess.

I think there was once some sort of incident in a Walmart where some troublemaker was taken down by a person carrying a weapon. Of course, all of this gets into "no gun zones" and all of that and this event will prove to be a headache for Walmart and other similar stores.

As I've posted before, carrying a firearm helps in many cases, but is no panacea (except in the imagination of the rabid TOSsers who are always on full alert and can aim a bullet directly between the right and left sides of the perp's heart from 50 paces, before he can get off a shot).

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline thackney

As I've posted before, carrying a firearm helps in many cases, but is no panacea (except in the imagination of the rabid TOSsers who are always on full alert and can aim a bullet directly between the right and left sides of the perp's heart from 50 paces, before he can get off a shot).

It is also a deterrent for the situation to not arise.  There is a reason we don't see random shootings in gun stores and police stations.  If armed carry is common in your area, those wanting to shoot randomly and escape seek other locations.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline TomSea

Also, I suppose it is said the murder rate, crime rates have actually come down.

06/15/2016Ryan McMaken

The US homicide rate in 2014, the most recent year available, was 4.5 per 100,000. The 2014 total follows a long downward trend and is the lowest homicide rate recorded since 1963 when the rate was 4.6 per 100,000. To find a lower homicide rate, we must travel back to 1957 when the total homicide rate hit 4.0 per 100,000.

https://mises.org/blog/fbi-us-homicide-rate-51-year-low

Even with horrific crimes like Vegas or this incident last night, it's good to keep it in perspective.

Offline TomSea

It is also a deterrent for the situation to not arise.  There is a reason we don't see random shootings in gun stores and police stations.  If armed carry is common in your area, those wanting to shoot randomly and escape seek other locations.

Conjecture.

I don't know if the Thornton Walmart is a gun-free zone, I assume it was but I don't know if it has been confirmed.

Offline Suppressed

Definitely.

However that's statistical. 

When you have an attacker who isn't concerned about his own safety, whether because of ideology or lack of caring, or an arrogant attacker who believes he can get away anyway after an ambush, then the deterrent isn't effective.

I don't think the Thornton Walmart is a gun-free zone, and there are people who carry in that area.  Colorado is a shall-issue CCW permit state.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline TomSea

Definitely.

However that's statistical. 

When you have an attacker who isn't concerned about his own safety, whether because of ideology or lack of caring, or an arrogant attacker who believes he can get away anyway after an ambush, then the deterrent isn't effective.

I don't think the Thornton Walmart is a gun-free zone, and there are people who carry in that area.  Colorado is a shall-issue CCW permit state.

If that is so, then states with the most lenient gun laws (less gun control) should have the lowest murder rates:

Offline TomSea

Pawn shops get robbed all the time, they carry weapons. I've even been to pawn shops where they have to buzz you in if you want to see the store.

Offline TomSea

People go to banks or the 7-11 to hold up businesses, not the police station.  *****rollingeyes*****

Offline thackney

People go to banks or the 7-11 to hold up businesses, not the police station.  *****rollingeyes*****

I spoke of random shootings and wanting to escape.  I did not target all crime.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
If that is so, then states with the most lenient gun laws (less gun control) should have the lowest murder rates:

Remember, the majority of "gun deaths" are suicides, and there are several urban areas (Memphis, New Orleans for example) that skew the numbers.

Offline TomSea

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/11/02/victims-thornton-walmart-shooting-have-been-identified/

The victims, by coincidence or not, I'm seeing what are likely, 3 Hispanic names.

Marques, Moreno, Vasquez.  Rest In Peace All.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Worried for a minute, my cousin lives there. She's been posting about it on Facebook, so I know all is well.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Meldrew

Remember, the majority of "gun deaths" are suicides, and there are several urban areas (Memphis, New Orleans for example) that skew the numbers.

True.  Also this chart is from the CDC.  They are not known for their 2A objectivity.