Author Topic: BREAKING>>Paul Manafort, former Trump campaign head, reported to face charges in Russia investigation  (Read 5469 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

That's because someone made the pronouncement that she'd "suffered enough".

Now...I wonder who that could have been?  :whistle:

I suggest you visit the President's twitter feed today.   :whistle:

Offline Concerned

Trey Gowdy takes a lot of heat on discussion boards for being ineffective.  However, he raised a really good point in regards to Russian collusion on Fox News Sunday.  He said it wasn’t Trump and Republicans handing out reset buttons, making uranium deals, and promising ‘more flexibility’ in their second term.

Yesterday, he also called on Republicans to give Mueller a chance to do his job:

"Rep. Trey Gowdy wants his Republican colleagues to give special counsel Robert Mueller a chance as he reportedly nears arresting people in his probe of Russian interference in the 2016 election.

Gowdy said on “Fox News Sunday” Mueller is known as a non-political person in Washington and has faithfully served the country as both the director of the FBI and a U.S. attorney. He urged Republicans to keep that in mind as the investigation progresses.

“I would encourage my Republican friends, give the guy a chance to do his job. The result will be known by the facts covered by what he uncovers,” he said. “The personalities involved are much less important to me than the underlying facts. I would say give the guy a chance to do his job.”

<snip>

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/trey-gowdy-tells-republicans-to-give-robert-mueller-a-chance-to-do-his-job/article/2638910
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Yeah but making good points on Fox News Sunday isn't solving anything is it?

No, but most people have a historical memory shorter than the lifespan of a mayfly.  It’s never a bad thing to make minor course corrections on long journeys.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline skeeter

Doesn't Count 11 (for example) reference false statements made to the DOJ in 2016 and 2017?  From the indictment:

"On or about November 23, 2016 and February 10, 2017, with the District of Columbia and elsewhere, the defendants Paul J Manafort Jr and Richard W Gate III knowingly and willfully caused to be made a false statement of a material fact and omitted a material fact necessary to make the statement therein not misleading, in a document filed with and furnished to the Attorney General under the provisions of FARA, to wite the underlined statements:"

<snip>

Hardly has anything to do with Trump-Russia collusion.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Gowdy has never done anything other than "make good points".   **nononono*

Actually he has no power to do much of anything else.  ALL they can do in congress is send criminal referrals to DOJ.  It's then up to DOJ to prosecute.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Victoria33

BREAKING: Third Person Charged by Mueller’s Office, Pleads Guilty
https://www.redstate.com/jimjamitis/2017/10/30/breaking-third-person-charged-muellers-office-pleads-guilty/
@mystery-ak

Okay, I read that and "Pap" had substantial contact with Russians, wanted to set up meeting with Russians and campaign, but it didn't happen.  I suggest everyone read that link you provided. 

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Don’t forget this gem on 60 Minutes, after the election.....

“I don't want to hurt them, I don't want to hurt them. They’re, they’re good people,” he said.

Yup there is that too.

The thing with Manafort is probably just a second bit at the apple in relation to his dealings with the Ukraine that were looked into and drooped a couple years ago.  It's a "let's get him on something" kind of charge.

And while it does distract somewhat from the Uranium One deal...I'm curious to know where the outrage about this from the right and from the GOP was back in 2015 when it first broke.  This has been a known thing for some time.  Why choose to get angry about it now?

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Concerned

Hardly has anything to do with Trump-Russia collusion.

My read is that this indictment absolutely has nothing to do with Trump or the Trump campaign.  Of course, I never said it did.  In fact, I’ve publicly stated I’d be shocked if the Mueller investigation results in any substantive evidence of “collusion” between the nominee and Russia; however, that wasn’t what I was addressing.  I was addressing the statement that all the individual counts are between 2008 and 2012.  I don’t think that’s true based on my read of the indictment (e.g., Count 11).

All the individual counts are from between 2008 and 2012. I'm fairly certain Trump was no where in the picture at that time. But Podesta sure was.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 03:11:57 pm by Concerned »
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Developing from AP
Court papers: Former Trump campaign aide George Papadopoulos pleads guilty to lying to FBI agents in Mueller probe
Oct 30, 2017

Really? Webster’s dad is involved in this?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Actually he has no power to do much of anything else.  ALL they can do in congress is send criminal referrals to DOJ.  It's then up to DOJ to prosecute.

Good point.  Has Gowdy ever done this?

Offline The_Reader_David

I predicted it to my wife last night when she read me a headline on a story without details of who would be charge:  It will be Manfort and the charges will have to do with his work for the pro-Russian party in the Ukraine and have nothing to do with the 2016 election.  That they'd have to go the Al Capone route and just charge him with tax law violations I did not predict.

And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Good point.  Has Gowdy ever done this?

I think there were several during the Obama era none of which were ever acted upon.  But my memory isn't what it once was!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Garrett M. Graff‏Verified account @vermontgmg 26m26 minutes ago

Every bit of Papadopoulos news is a bombshell—larger and more immediately significant than Manafort—but Manafort’s just getting started…
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Mom MD

Jack Posobiec
🇺🇸‏Verified account @JackPosobiec

In before Paul Manafort flips and gives up everything he knows about the Podestas, Clintons, and Uranium One

Which will promptly be ignored by the special prosecutor and the FBI because they are not targets of the investigation....   only republicans and those tied to Trump are in any jeopardy from this circus
God is still in control

Offline Frank Cannon

Anyone else bothered that the Special Prosecutor looking into 2016 Russian election interference is indicting someone on something that has nothing to do with the election? This Manafart stuff is from 9 years ago.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Forget Manafort Papadopoulos is the one to watch..he already pleaded guilty..was there a deal?

Trump campaign emails show aide’s repeated efforts to set up Russia meetings
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-campaign-emails-show-aides-repeated-efforts-to-set-up-russia-meetings/2017/08/14/54d08da6-7dc2-11e7-83c7-5bd5460f0d7e_story.html?utm_term=.0ffa8167a239

excerpt;
But Papadopoulos, a campaign volunteer with scant foreign policy experience, persisted. Between March and September, the self-described energy consultant sent at least a half-dozen requests for Trump, as he turned from primary candidate to party nominee, or for members of his team to meet with Russian officials. Among those to express concern about the effort was then-campaign chairman Paul Manafort, who rejected in May 2016 a proposal from Papadopoulos for Trump to do so.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 03:25:41 pm by mystery-ak »
Support the USO

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Anyone else bothered that the Special Prosecutor looking into 2016 Russian election interference is indicting someone on something that has nothing to do with the election? This Manafart stuff is from 9 years ago.

Yeah! We noticed that @Frank Cannon!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Millee

Gowdy has never done anything other than "make good points".   **nononono*

Sad, but true. 

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Former US Attorney Andy McCarthy on Beck’s show saying the indictment is classic example of prosecutorial overcharge.  It’s meant to sound greater than it is to accomplish two things:

Gain leverage over accused for purposes of cooperation and/or deal making.

Demonstrate legitimacy of investigation purpose.

I look forward to his full, written analysis at some point.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online corbe

The attempts to distance Trump from Manafort
Dave Lawler  1 hr ago

When Paul Manafort joined the Trump campaign in March of 2016, his history of consulting work for strongmen in Ukraine and elsewhere was well known. So chaotic was the Trump operation, though, that Manafort was widely viewed as the adult in the room, arriving to provide structure ahead of a possible convention fight.

By the following March, the White House was attempting to downplay any and all links between President Trump and his former campaign chairman. Then-White House press secretary Sean Spicer went so far as to say Manafort had "played a very limited role for a very limited period of time."

<..snip..>

https://www.axios.com/the-attempts-to-distance-trump-from-manafort-2503822735.html
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
If the reporting is correct he made a lot cash transactions that can be questioned.  I read that the FBI had looked into some of these transactions before.  Didn't do anything then.

I have been told (unverified) that these transactions are from 2005.  The statue of limitations would be six years from commission or discovery, whichever is later.  So the timing of the FBI investigation is important.  If the FBI started their investigation prior to 2012, then the statue of limitations has already run out.  This might just turn out to be another "nothing burger".

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Sam Stein‏Verified account @samstein 49m49 minutes ago

The WH talking point that none of this is related to the campaign sort of dies with this Papadopoulos file
Support the USO

Offline Mom MD

Unfortunately there is no limit to the scope of a special prosecutor.  And they are under a lot of pressure to produce some kind of result for all the $ spent.  That means they will go as far and
Wide as they have to to produce indictments.  Once a special prosecutor is appointed Pandora’s box is opened.   In my opinion one should be appointed only rarely and in extraordinary circumstances
God is still in control

Offline Frank Cannon

Former US Attorney Andy McCarthy on Beck’s show saying the indictment is classic example of prosecutorial overcharge.  It’s meant to sound greater than it is to accomplish two things:

Gain leverage over accused for purposes of cooperation and/or deal making.

Demonstrate legitimacy of investigation purpose.

I look forward to his full, written analysis at some point.

I just listened to him too and walked away thinking this really was a Hail Mary to make Mueller look relevant. There is a whole lot of nothing here that has to do with Mueller's mission.....taking out Donny.