Author Topic: Is Most Back Pain Caused by Repressed Emotions?  (Read 1491 times)

rangerrebew

Is Most Back Pain Caused by Repressed Emotions?
« on: October 30, 2017, 10:45:54 am »

Is Most Back Pain Caused by Repressed Emotions?

October 25, 2017

Worldwide, 1 in 10 people suffers from lower back pain and it’s the No. 1 cause of job disability. In the U.S., $90 billion is spent on back pain each year
    Few people want to be told that their pain is psychological or emotional in origin, but there’s quite a bit of evidence that backs this up. Studies suggest that, to be effective, pain needs to be addressed from a biopsychosocial perspective
    The late Dr. John Sarno used mind-body techniques to treat patients with severe low back pain. He believed you unconsciously cause your own pain, and that pain is your brain’s response to unaddressed stress, anger or fear

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2017/10/25/back-pain-repressed-emotions.aspx

Online mountaineer

Re: Is Most Back Pain Caused by Repressed Emotions?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 11:33:20 pm »
After seeing a report by John Stossel, I obtained a copy of a book written by one of Dr. Sarno's devotees (a Florida physician) about the whole mind-body connection. I read it carefully and tried to follow all the directions for freeing myself of pain by getting rid of the guilt, shame, resentment, pain, etc., etc., that he believed were the true cause of back pain.
It didn't work for me.  8888crybaby
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 11:41:28 pm »
I'm betting most back pain is from low muscle strength and endurance in the abdomen.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 11:44:17 pm »
I’m glad to know that the x-rays I had that showed narrowing of several disks, spurring, arthritis and a tilted pelvis, is all in my head, that it is just my brain’s response to unaddressed stress, anger or fear. Same with my brother who suffered from spinal stenosis and got to the point he couldn’t stand live alone walk and underwent successful, but evidently unnecessary surgery to correct it. We should just follow the “don’t worry, be happy method”.

You know what really makes me stressed? People who read crap from Mercola.com (and Mike Adams, a.k.a. the Health Ranger @ www.naturalnews.com) and believe it.

You know what really makes me angry? The snake oil that Mercola.com peddles to the gullible.

You know what I fear? That people could suffer or even die by following this crap instead of seeking legitimate medical care and wasting money on products from his website like this:

Earthing Universal Mat with Cover: 2-Pack
http://shop.mercola.com/product/1106/1/earthing-universal-mat-with-cover-2-pack

When you walk barefoot on the Earth, there's a transfer of free electrons from the Earth into your body that spread throughout your tissues. The effect is sufficient to maintain your body at the same negatively-charged electrical potential as the Earth. This simple process is called 'grounding.'

If you constantly wear materials like rubber or 'plastic' shoes, which are both very effective insulators, you'll be disconnected from the natural energy that flows from the Earth. You might not have thought of this, but remember that both plastic and rubber are excellent insulators and are frequently used to insulate electric wires to keep the conductors from touching each other and shorting out.

But there is a way you can stay connected with the Earth… regardless of where you live, work, and play. But in order to be effective, the home or building where you work must have grounded electrical outlets.

The Earthing Universal Mat with Cover can help you stay connected with the earth. It comes with the following:
[/i]

What? No vaginal stones?

So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Online mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 11:50:08 pm »
@Neverdul   :beer:

Actually, this school of thought says that even if you have herniated, bulging and dessicated disks and whatever else might show up on X-rays and MRIs, you still can be pain free - by dealing with your emotions.  :shrug:

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 11:55:23 pm »
After seeing a report by John Stossel, I obtained a copy of a book written by one of Dr. Sarno's devotees (a Florida physician) about the whole mind-body connection. I read it carefully and tried to follow all the directions for freeing myself of pain by getting rid of the guilt, shame, resentment, pain, etc., etc., that he believed were the true cause of back pain.
It didn't work for me.  8888crybaby

I also saw Stossel's show, and so I bought and read Sarno's book.  I have sciatica, which originates in my lower back.  I do believe there is value to Sarno's approach, but, like you, I tried his therapy and found it only marginally helpful.  Now i do a half hour of physical therapy each day, and that keeps things bearable.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 12:04:31 am »
I'm betting most back pain is from low muscle strength and endurance in the abdomen.

What's your prognosis for a pain in the ass?

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2017, 12:06:53 am »
What's your prognosis for a pain in the ass?

I made you cry last night. Do you really want me to answer that question?

Offline aligncare

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2017, 12:17:34 am »

I’m a chiropractor thirty seven years. Lumber pain, particularly lumbosacral pain is no mystery to me. If organic disease has been ruled out, LBP is 100 percent biomechanical, though how a particular individual gets to that point is multifactorial.

However, if someone has had chronic LBP for years, which is not uncommon, they may benefit from counseling and other guided pain management and self help strategies.

Nuff said.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2017, 12:33:22 am »
@RoosGirl
@massadvj
@mountaineer

Yes and no.

A lot people with back problems benefit from core stability strengthening exercises. It was one of the things I learned back in 2003 when my orthopedic sent me to physical therapy or what he called “back school”. But you have to be careful of what you do. It’s not about getting six pack abs and traditional crunches are a bad idea especially for someone with back problems.

But on the other hand part of my back problem (and believe it or not, my foot problem - plantar fasciitis) stems from having very tight, very large probably overdeveloped hamstring and calf muscles, so stretching is key.

Quote from:  link=topic=288576.msg1500137#msg1500137 date=1509407723
I also saw Stossel's massadvj show, and so I bought and read Sarno's book.  I have sciatica, which originates in my lower back.  I do believe there is value to Sarno's approach, but, like you, I tried his therapy and found it only marginally helpful.  Now i do a half hour of physical therapy each day, and that keeps things bearable.

Absolutely. It does take a commitment however and some self-discipline that I will admit I don’t always have, but if I do my core exercises and my stretches that I learned in PT, every day, religiously, once in the morning, once before bed and after any type of exercise, and I also keep the weight off and I walk a couple of miles a couple of times a week, my back feels great. If I get lazy or I get busy and don’t do those things….one wrong move like twisting while getting up from a chair and I’m doubled over with the shooting nerve pain and with muscle spasms and laid up for a couple of days.

@Neverdul   :beer:

Actually, this school of thought says that even if you have herniated, bulging and dessicated disks and whatever else might show up on X-rays and MRIs, you still can be pain free - by dealing with your emotions.  :shrug:

The only thing that I can see that may have some value in as far as stress goes, is that when I’m stressed, I tend to feel it as muscle tightness in my neck and shoulders and working a desk job doesn’t help. While I don’t believe that emotions cause back pain, to some extent they can aggravate it. But having positive emotions isn’t going to cure physical problems like herniated, bulging disks, stenosis, etc.
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Online mountaineer

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2017, 12:54:30 am »
The only thing that I can see that may have some value in as far as stress goes, is that when I’m stressed, I tend to feel it as muscle tightness in my neck and shoulders and working a desk job doesn’t help. While I don’t believe that emotions cause back pain, to some extent they can aggravate it. But having positive emotions isn’t going to cure physical problems like herniated, bulging disks, stenosis, etc.
Agreed.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2017, 01:23:32 am »
I’m a chiropractor thirty seven years. Lumber pain, particularly lumbosacral pain is no mystery to me. If organic disease has been ruled out, LBP is 100 percent biomechanical, though how a particular individual gets to that point is multifactorial.

@aligncare

I agree in very large part.

However, part of my long term illness was diagnosed as Fibromyalga, which is largely due to poor sleep and stress, which was acting as a force multiplier - Exponentially increasing pain and inflammation. A big, big portion of my recovery is due to recognizing symptoms of fibro inflammation at it's start, generally firstly emanating in me from neck and between the shoulder blades and from very low back...  If it got into the fibro points in arms and legs, I was already very far gone...

If I took immediate action at the inception of symptoms to de-stress and guarantee sleep, the fibromialgic  outbreak was fairly easy to nip in the bud,  If I did not, months of torture ensued from the fibro feedback loop into my already high pain experience. Fibro causes inflammation, and inflammation causes pain. In my case, way more pain.

So in my case at least, I will concur with this OP to a great degree. I am going to hurt. That is likely to always be true. But if the fibro gets ahead of me, I am going to hurt a whole helluva lot more.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2017, 01:34:40 am »
@aligncare

I might add that all the way along, the one profession that would have helped me most was yours - And it was the only profession that I had no access to.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2017, 02:09:55 am »
Silly me! You mean all I had too do was think in a positive manner and I could have mentally decompressed my lumbar discs and eased my pinched nerves? I wonder would that miraculously reconstituted the four disintegrating cervical disks I had to have replaced with cadaver bone? Who knew I didn't have to go through four and five hours of surgery with that intubating tube and weeks of rehab, damnit! Why couldn't I have seen this earlier, before I went for the oh so pleasant epidural. 9999hair out0000

Online mountaineer

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2017, 02:24:15 am »
Interesting,  @roamer_1  .I suspect fibromyalgia is part of my problem, but doctors look at me like I'm nuts when I ask.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2017, 02:44:12 am »

However, if someone has had chronic LBP for years, which is not uncommon, they may benefit from counseling and other guided pain management and self help strategies.

Nuff said.
Sciatica (due to injuries) has been something my chiropractor has been able to relieve, even cure, and a good cervical spine adjustment has been known to eliminate devastating headaches. A competent chiropractor can provide lasting relief.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2017, 02:45:44 am »
Silly me! You mean all I had too do was think in a positive manner and I could have mentally decompressed my lumbar discs and eased my pinched nerves? I wonder would that miraculously reconstituted the four disintegrating cervical disks I had to have replaced with cadaver bone? Who knew I didn't have to go through four and five hours of surgery with that intubating tube and weeks of rehab, damnit! Why couldn't I have seen this earlier, before I went for the oh so pleasant epidural. 9999hair out0000
Didn't your doctor tell you it was "All in your head"?

Usually the last thing a doctor gets to say to me before I ask them who they would recommend, and avoid them, too. 

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2017, 02:50:16 am »
The best thing I ever did for my back is get a breast reduction.

G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2017, 02:51:43 am »
The best thing I ever did for my back is get a breast reduction.
I believe you. My stepdaughter went from a HH to a C and is happier than ever, and in much less pain. I really don't know how her shoulders could take the weight.

C S Lewis

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2017, 03:03:54 am »
I’m a chiropractor thirty seven years.
@aligncare

Let me explain backs to you.  I have little or no cartilage left in L4/L5.
The reason for this is God screwed up making backs and knees.
As soon as I see Him, I will explain to Him he needs to redo the bone structure of humans and include extra parts to insert them and take out the old ones.
I give you this information free of charge.   :silly:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2017, 04:37:49 am »
Interesting,  @roamer_1  .I suspect fibromyalgia is part of my problem, but doctors look at me like I'm nuts when I ask.

If so, @mountaineer , you have my sympathies.
Sleep is the big deal. The garbage trucks only run to your cells after hours when you are in deep sleep. If you don't get there, the trucks don't run, and the cells start stacking it up, at the cellular level. That's the swelling and inflammation.

For me, opiates didn't help that much - I did get relief, and sleep, but the sleep was shallow and short, so I never got to deep restorative sleep... So the pain loop never broke, and the cycle just continued: The more pain, the more lortab/norcs, vikes, or oxys it took to get the wrong sleep, and the more pain, which put me further from restoration. Months and months of excruciating pain at a time. It was a vicious, vicious cycle. And the stress of pain and the worry only exacerbated it.

Fortunately, I have a reset button... My whole gig is tied to barometric change -- Low barometer does it... Normal falling barometer brings arthritic pain, and wrecks me pretty bad... But if the low is big enough (a very precipitous drop in pressure), I zonk out. Comatose. Nearly hypothermia, as my blood pressure craters and my temp goes way down. I get about 20 mins to feel that coming on before I tip over, so I better be under heavy down and ready for it... Usually lasts for 12-72 hours, and I have a really hard time crawling back out of it to the land of the living... But guess what? The garbage trucks run bigtime. That's how I figured it out. OMG, how I used to pray for a big winter storm to roll through! Because once I woke up and creaked back into existence, the pain would be nearly gone.

So the answer for me was to encourage sleep, and maintain circadian rhythm... Hard to do with pain. But it is the important part. Normally, 9pm the lights are all off, and the computer is out of my face... Out to the porch for sleepy time tea and a big dose  of darkness. On-and-off trading between melatonin and magnesium doses to encourage natural tired... Super hot shower and in bed by 11pm. And I wake up whenever I do... sometimes 6:30, sometimes 10 or 11. Makes me unreliable, but I don't hurt anymore (well, I do, but nowhere near what it was).

And stress relief - If I feel it coming on, I stop everything and de-stress. A fishing pole is medicine to me. Even the little creek by my house - I'll grab my kit, gimp off to find some lonely, build a fire, brew a cup, fly a tarp, and throw a worm. Four hours later I'll be straight as a string.

There's an old woman that lives where I enter the woods, and she stopped me one day to make mention, and ask me why it was that I was all gimped up walking in and walking fine on the way out - There's that much difference.

So work on those two things and you can diagnose yourself, separate from the doctors... Find what de-stresses you and do it (regardless of circumstance), and make sure you get the best sleep possible, all the time (regardless of circumstance)...  If your symptoms improve, TADA! Thereafter it is a matter of refinement, and whatever the docs have that might help you along.

Hope that helps. I am entering my second winter without morphine, using turmeric milk and willow bark for pain relief... I am still not done, I still hurt... But by and large, I can manage it without doctors and dependencies. And that is priceless.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 04:38:23 am by roamer_1 »

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2017, 04:45:08 am »
Sciatica (due to injuries) has been something my chiropractor has been able to relieve, even cure

YEP.

A competent chiropractor can provide lasting relief.

That's a fact. I'll trust a bone-crusher more than any other. Funny how most guys that work(ed) for a living know that.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2017, 05:34:38 am »
Didn't your doctor tell you it was "All in your head"?

Usually the last thing a doctor gets to say to me before I ask them who they would recommend, and avoid them, too.
No after the MRI's the only thing I heard from the Radiologist to the pain management doctor to the Orthopedist was progressively "this looks bad", "this looks really bad" and "oh shit!". When it's obvious to a laymen that discs are compressed to the point that there is almost no space between vertebrae it's hard not to agree to surgery, let alone dealing with the pain. As an aside, once I had the spinal surgeries completed I regained over almost an inch and a half in height. Somehow I don't believe positive thinking would have achieved that.
Afterthought, to answer your first question, yes I did have an Ortho tell me it was all in my head and to just wait and it would be better. He was a Kaiser Ortho and Kaiser had played the "It's all in your head" game with me for years. Surprisingly only when I had been unemployed for years and bottomed out with MediCal did I get better medical treatment than I had paid high dollars for when employed. If it wasn't so friggin absurd and aggravating it would be funny.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 05:41:59 am by GtHawk »

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2017, 11:30:08 pm »
"Is Most Back Pain Caused by Repressed Emotions?"

Heh.

Back pain is in the back, not in the head.

(wanna talk about "quacks"? Here's one for ya...)