Author Topic: The Lost Children of Tuam; Ireland Wanted to Forget. But the Dead Don’t Always Stay Buried.  (Read 1369 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
The Lost Children of Tuam

By DAN BARRY OCT. 28, 2017

TUAM, Ireland

Behold a child.

A slight girl all of 6, she leaves the modest family farm, where the father minds the livestock and the mother keeps a painful secret, and walks out to the main road. Off she goes to primary school, off to the Sisters of Mercy.

Her auburn hair in ringlets, this child named Catherine is bound for Tuam, the ancient County Galway town whose name derives from a Latin term for “burial mound.” It is the seat of a Roman Catholic archdiocese, a proud distinction announced by the skyscraping cathedral that for generations has loomed over factory and field.

Two miles into this long-ago Irish morning, the young girl passes through a gantlet of gray formed by high walls along the Dublin Road that seem to thwart sunshine. To her right runs the Parkmore racecourse, where hard-earned shillings are won or lost by a nose. And to her left, the mother and baby home, with glass shards embedded atop its stony enclosure.

more
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/10/28/world/europe/tuam-ireland-babies-children.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=photo-spot-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 12:56:48 am by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Thank you for posting this. John 11:35, indeed.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
@mystery-ak

I am sitting here weeping after reading that story.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
@mystery-ak

I am sitting here weeping after reading that story.
I have read about it in years past,,a very sad story indeed!
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Smokin Joe

I have read about it in years past,,a very sad story indeed!
I have great trouble even imagining such...
Matt 25:44 (KJV):    Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee ahungered, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
45    Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.

I don't even begin to understand the mentality which blames the children for the parent's situation, but it has long been there, and may even declare itself righteous by misreading scripture. To me, a kid is a kid, regardless of the circumstances of their birth.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
I read this article yesterday. I wept.

And I’ve got to give credit where credit is due and sometimes the NYT publishes some excellent writing telling important stories such as this.

I’ve heard some social conservatives, even some pro-life Christians say that we need to go back to the days when out of wedlock pregnancies were stigmatized, the children “rightfully” called “bastards” and unwed mothers shamed and sent away from society to homes for unwed mothers, preferably their bastard children adopted out to “good Christian” married couples, never to know from where they came as a way to discourage it from happening.  This obviously didn’t work back then.

But more importantly, this is an example and sadly not the only one, of some of what happened back in the “good ole days”.

Shameful.

Not to say we as a society should encourage unwed births but treating the children born out of wedlock as so much garbage, in this case quite literally, is neither civil nor “Christian”.
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Keep in mind that this IS the NYT and they are not exactly pro-Catholic, pro-Christian or pro-traditional morality.  I have read of this, and other, such places in Ireland in the past so I don't question that they did exist and weren't the greatest places to have to live.  Growing up in the slums of Ireland weren't either.

Offline endicom

But more importantly, this is an example and sadly not the only one, of some of what happened back in the “good ole days”.

I think such things the historical norm, worldwide.

Offline Smokin Joe

I read this article yesterday. I wept.

And I’ve got to give credit where credit is due and sometimes the NYT publishes some excellent writing telling important stories such as this.

I’ve heard some social conservatives, even some pro-life Christians say that we need to go back to the days when out of wedlock pregnancies were stigmatized, the children “rightfully” called “bastards” and unwed mothers shamed and sent away from society to homes for unwed mothers, preferably their bastard children adopted out to “good Christian” married couples, never to know from where they came as a way to discourage it from happening.  This obviously didn’t work back then.

Shameful.

Not to say we as a society should encourage unwed births but treating the children born out of wedlock as so much garbage, in this case quite literally, is neither civil nor “Christian”.
I am glad these little ones and their mothers are finally being given a voice, and am curious if the hardship was simply a matter of little funding, the desire of the community to ignore those of lesser morals (although half that equation was out there, somewhere, possibly not suffering any repercussions of their part in the situation their children and paramours suffered).

Bastardy was decried everywhere even well into the 1960s, only the Welfare State made it 'acceptable', now almost irrelevant in the eyes of many.

Still, kids are kids, and not responsible for (nor should they be punished for) the circumstances of their birth.

When our oldest granddaughter was on her way to the altar with a little 'bump', but found the groom in flagrante dilecto with an old girlfriend two weeks before the wedding, we backed her decision to keep the child and let her stay with us. Her water broke on the stairs, and my oldest great grandchild was born. I have no regrets, and the kid (now 12) remains a joy.

As for the NYT, they might see the article as a way to attack those who decry abortion, the 'patriarchy', and a Catholic Order (one which may well be quite deserving--not knowing the whole story--only the sad results, as much of a culture as the impropriety of those involved).

C S Lewis

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
I'm bookmarking this.

I can't cry today.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Keep in mind that this IS the NYT and they are not exactly pro-Catholic, pro-Christian or pro-traditional morality.  I have read of this, and other, such places in Ireland in the past so I don't question that they did exist and weren't the greatest places to have to live.  Growing up in the slums of Ireland weren't either.

I've read about this from other sources...One I remember blamed the nuns and implied they actually killed the babies.....I have searched to where I read that..If I remember correctly it was mentioned in another book....
Support the USO

Offline Smokin Joe

I've read about this from other sources...One I remember blamed the nuns and implied they actually killed the babies.....I have searched to where I read that..If I remember correctly it was mentioned in another book....
I think I read that article. I'm not sure what went on there, whether neglect or active homicide were involved. It's dark, sick, and forgot Christ's admonition to "Suffer the children to come unto me."

We don't know what political forces brought by powerful folks or 'respectable' families were brought to bear on the institution, nor what sort of privations were suffered except that poverty was evident in the condition of the children, something many poor folks would do their best to conceal through grooming and upkeep, even if of meager means.

It may be that those children died of malnutrition and disease brought about by a lack of resources (and no antibiotics), more than malice or indifference on the part of the Sisters.

Indifference on the part of the culture itself was evident. These children (and their mothers) were a social embarrassment to the families, to the children's fathers, and carried the stigma of moral looseness for the mothers in a time when the appearance of a virgin bride was expected, even if not so well practiced. Only widows could be single parents and retain any semblance of respectability in the society of the day, regardless of economic status. The morality of the father, if known, was apparently not so much an issue, implying that women were culturally considered to be in control of what liaisons occurred, which may not have always been the case. 

Even the lack of interment amenities howls of doing the best with no resources (catacomb burials once being perfectly acceptable internment, despite the nature of the space), and to be understand how this came to be, we must try to see what happened through the lens of that culture and era, rather than the fundamental revulsion and horror we see through the lens of this time and culture.

Still, I grieve for those who were treated thus, regardless of why.

Yet many who read that piece in the Times will use it to justify, rather than see the horror of the millions who have been shredded and sold as parts or disposed of as medical waste.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 10:21:18 pm by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Yet many who read that piece in the Times will use it to justify, rather than see the horror of the millions who have been shredded and sold as parts or disposed of as medical waste.

So true.

I remember in the late 60's my mother, grandmother and aunt all whispering about my cousin who got pregnant and was sent to some home for unwed mothers...even then it was a shame on a family. Now, although it is not the ideal situation no one really comments or thinks twice if it happens..

We adopted our first son through Catholic Charities...the mother was unmarried, a teenager and from a poor family....he was our son the moment we laid eyes on him..
Support the USO

Offline Smokin Joe

So true.

I remember in the late 60's my mother, grandmother and aunt all whispering about my cousin who got pregnant and was sent to some home for unwed mothers...even then it was a shame on a family. Now, although it is not the ideal situation no one really comments or thinks twice if it happens..

We adopted our first son through Catholic Charities...the mother was unmarried, a teenager and from a poor family....he was our son the moment we laid eyes on him..
We have raised a couple of grandkids, at times had as many as three living under our roof. You don't abandon Family, but you don't enable them, either. While those social standards were inarguably strict, even harsh, look at the result of their absence.  :shrug: The welfare state has enabled that and the moral slide has been staggering.

C S Lewis

Offline berdie

I read this story earlier and it has haunted me all day.

This didn't occur in some third world country 4 or 5 hundred years ago,

It happened in Ireland not that long ago at all.

How tragic.