Author Topic: Nosedive: NFL Ratings Have Dropped Almost 20 Percent Since 2013  (Read 806 times)

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
Nosedive: NFL Ratings Have Dropped Almost 20 Percent Since 2013
« on: October 28, 2017, 02:47:15 pm »
townhall
Matt Vespa
Posted: Oct 27, 2017 2:02 PM

[excerpt]

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa/2017/10/27/nfl-poll-n2400992

Former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick took a seat and then a knee during the national anthem last year. He set off the first salvo. Then, President Trump gave his thoughts about the Star-Spangled Banner protests in September, saying players who engage in such antics should be fired, suspended, or fined. The National Football League was about to head into war with Trump.

Since the spat, approval for the league is down, ticket sales are down, and almost 40 percent of Americans said they were less likely to watch football because of the protests. Seventy-two percent of Americans felt Kaepernick’s actions were unpatriotic. That was the ballgame. That was the end of this battle in the culture war. Trump won. It could have been for the most popular cause supported by the most respected organization, it still wouldn’t have saved the NFL from this horrendous PR nightmare. When people see you spitting on the flag, our veterans, and those still in uniform—you’ve lost. Even if that wasn’t the intention, the optics still kills it for you. Now, we have this new poll that shows approval for the NFL has dropped almost 20 percent since 2013 (via Fox News):

My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Re: Nosedive: NFL Ratings Have Dropped Almost 20 Percent Since 2013
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 07:20:01 pm »
Since 2013?  That was way before the kneeling crapola.

I just think people are doing other things.

I, however, will continue to watch the Dallas Cowboys and hope no Cowboy kneels.  Haven't so far.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 07:31:46 pm »
First mistake was wearing pink accessories.

....for a freaking entire month! 

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 07:44:59 pm »
Since 2013?  That was way before the kneeling crapola.

I just think people are doing other things.

I, however, will continue to watch the Dallas Cowboys and hope no Cowboy kneels.  Haven't so far.

Democrats, the gift that just keeps on giving.

With the spike in their 'AFFORDABLE' Healthcare Act plans very few can afford the TV hookup to watch them anymore.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline stephen50right

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 07:59:15 pm »
I'd say those NFL franchises aren't worth half of what they were when this season began.

But the owners seem to have a "What Me Worry?" attitude towards the whole thing. Every week, they seem to be digging themselves a deeper hole.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 08:01:37 pm »
Dropped 100% at my house over the last few months.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Applewood

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 08:12:20 pm »
I haven't been watching, but then again, western PA has, up until.a few days ago, enjoyed an extended summer.  So no way in hell am I going to stay home on a nice day and watchthe Steelers. 

But now that wintry weather is almost upon us, I will have to figure out what else to do on game days.  Binge watching something on Netflix is an option. Or catching up on some reading. I'd call my aunt, but she's probably still watching the Steelers.  86 years old and a diehard fan.

But the Steelers have lost me as a fan. Probably wouldn't mean anything to them.  But if enough people get tired of this political karp, maybe their diminishing bottom line will compel the owners to do the right thing and forbid this display of disrespect for our country and the people who fought and died for it.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2017, 08:20:01 pm »
Dropped 100% at my house over the last few months.

Mine too. And whereas I only watched a little bit, my daughter was much more of a fan. She turned the NFL off of her own volition, no push from me at all.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline stephen50right

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2017, 08:21:45 pm »
I haven't been watching, but then again, western PA has, up until.a few days ago, enjoyed an extended summer.  So no way in hell am I going to stay home on a nice day and watchthe Steelers. 

But now that wintry weather is almost upon us, I will have to figure out what else to do on game days.  Binge watching something on Netflix is an option. Or catching up on some reading. I'd call my aunt, but she's probably still watching the Steelers.  86 years old and a diehard fan.

But the Steelers have lost me as a fan. Probably wouldn't mean anything to them.  But if enough people get tired of this political karp, maybe their diminishing bottom line will compel the owners to do the right thing and forbid this display of disrespect for our country and the people who fought and died for it.

I kept waiting for the commissioner to do something with Kaepernick last season. But he just allowed it to fester, game after game, and now of course it's out of control.

Goodell had every justification under current NFL rules: pasted below (sorry if this has been posted before)

The specific NFL rule pertaining to the national anthem is found on pages A62-63 of the league rulebook. It states: The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem.

“During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition.

It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.”

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2017, 08:24:38 pm »
Mine too. And whereas I only watched a little bit, my daughter was much more of a fan. She turned the NFL off of her own volition, no push from me at all.

My wife never was a fan.  My son and I both were to various degrees but no one watches now and no one has said anything about it.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Applewood

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2017, 08:57:32 pm »
@stephen50right

Goodell is totally useless.  Seems he has decided the "feelings" of the players are more important than the fans who keep the league in business.   

And about those rules:  I see a lot of "shoulds" in there.   "Should" sounds more like a request than an order.  Substitute "will" for "should" in that rule and add some form of punishment if a player does not comply, and you now have a rule instead of a suggestion.

Offline stephen50right

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2017, 09:48:18 pm »
@stephen50right

Goodell is totally useless.  Seems he has decided the "feelings" of the players are more important than the fans who keep the league in business.   

And about those rules:  I see a lot of "shoulds" in there.   "Should" sounds more like a request than an order.  Substitute "will" for "should" in that rule and add some form of punishment if a player does not comply, and you now have a rule instead of a suggestion.

I agree with ya.

It would surprise me if Goodell is the commissioner next season. The NFL needs a commissioner to come in and lay down the law such as Kenesaw Mountain Landis...you probably know that story.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 01:16:45 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2017, 01:29:58 am »
I agree with ya.

It would surprise me if Goodell is the commissioner next season. The NFL needs a commissioner to come in and lay down the law such as Kenesaw Mountain Landis...you probably know that story.

Jerry Jones has launched a campaign against renewing Goodell.  He has some influence.  I hope he succeeds.

Goodell has been wildly inconsistent in everything and totally unfair in his vendetta against Ezekial Elliott.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.