Author Topic: 5.6 tons of ancient coins unearthed under house in Jiangxi  (Read 819 times)

rangerrebew

5.6 tons of ancient coins unearthed under house in Jiangxi
« on: October 28, 2017, 01:55:33 pm »

chinadaily.com.cn, October 26, 2017

A villager was the first to discover these coins during the rebuilding of his old home in the Chacun village of Fuliang.

Then, the news spread, and villagers believed the place where the coins were found used to belong to a landlord more than 1,000 years ago, based on local folk tales.

Archaeologists soon came, and the excavation was completed on Oct 22. About 5.6 tons of ancient coins have been unearthed, nearly 300,000 pieces in total.

http://www.china.org.cn/arts/2017-10/26/content_41798261.htm
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 01:56:36 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: 5.6 tons of ancient coins unearthed under house in Jiangxi
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 11:37:28 pm »

chinadaily.com.cn, October 26, 2017

A villager was the first to discover these coins during the rebuilding of his old home in the Chacun village of Fuliang.

Then, the news spread, and villagers believed the place where the coins were found used to belong to a landlord more than 1,000 years ago, based on local folk tales.

Archaeologists soon came, and the excavation was completed on Oct 22. About 5.6 tons of ancient coins have been unearthed, nearly 300,000 pieces in total.

http://www.china.org.cn/arts/2017-10/26/content_41798261.htm
Another article placed some of the coins as Tang Dynasty, even older. Might the accumulation be from a place where people made small offerings to secure good fortune, like a wishing well or even a temple? Especially the latter might be something that would not be raided nor robbed, and the coins would accumulate over time.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 11:40:27 pm »

5.6 tons? Must be huge coins.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 11:43:38 pm »

5.6 tons? Must be huge coins.
That basic type of coin is everywhere the Chinese were. I found one in a barn near Epping, ND, not far from the railroad tracks. My guess is that someone hopping freights spent the night there...back when Chinese were working on the railroad.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 11:46:44 pm »
That basic type of coin is everywhere the Chinese were. I found one in a barn near Epping, ND, not far from the railroad tracks. My guess is that someone hopping freights spent the night there...back when Chinese were working on the railroad.

There was one in a bag of coins my grandmother had collected.  No idea where she picked it up from.  I think it was from the 1820s.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 11:54:04 pm »
There was one in a bag of coins my grandmother had collected.  No idea where she picked it up from.  I think it was from the 1820s.
They got around. :shrug:

C S Lewis