Author Topic: GOP Sen. Ben Sasse Blasts Roy Moore, Condemns ‘White Backlash Grievance’ on the Right  (Read 13873 times)

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I don't believe the Constitutions says we can't have opinions.

Somebody's gonna have to prove to me that Islam is a religion and not a cult.

It isn't either.  It is, and always has been, a political movement cloaked in religion.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
It isn't either.  It is, and always has been, a political movement cloaked in religion.
Correct. It is a totalitarian plan for cultural and political conquest and occupation.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
One could say the same thing about Mormonism. For many decades, they said the same thing about Roman Catholicism.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
One could say the same thing about Mormonism. For many decades, they said the same thing about Roman Catholicism.

On e can say anything.  Doesn't make it true!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

I don't care what 'one could say' , Catholics and Mormons never used power and hate to convert people.

'
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
I don't care what 'one could say' , Catholics and Mormons never used power and hate to convert people.

'

I do not know Mormons ever did, but Catholics had "Inquisitions" in well known Spain (1492) and lesser known France and Italy.

Most religions and denominations have some unsavory histories.   
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Silver Pines

I'm sure Roy Moore if elected, will rack up a good "Heritage Action" scorecard. I'm not sure though, if this proves he is ideal.

It is good if that is how these politicians think and that these are principles that they stand for but it's not an end-all.

Stands up for freedom of religion, check.
Advocates the right to bear arms, check.
Is for border security, check.
Wants tax and healthcare reforum, double-check.

And so on.

@TomSea

Yeah, records and histories are so pre-Trump.  Who needs 'em.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
I do not know Mormzons ever did, but Catholics had "Inquisitions" in well known Spain (1492) and lesser known France and Italy.

Only one, what shall I call it,  with a 1400+ year history of pursuing it unajbated.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

I do not know Mormons ever did, but Catholics had "Inquisitions" in well known Spain (1492) and lesser known France and Italy.

Punishment

A council in Tours in 1164, presided over by Pope Alexander III, ordered the confiscation of a heretics goods. Of 5,400 people interrogated in Toulouse between 1245–1246, 184 received penitential yellow crosses, 23 were imprisoned for life, and none were sent to the stake.[26]

The most extreme penalty available in antiheretical proceedings was reserved for relapsed or stubborn heretics. The unrepentant and apostates could be "relaxed" to secular authority, however, opening the convicted to the possibility of various corporal punishments, up to and including being burned at the stake. Execution was neither performed by the Church, nor was it a sentence available to the officials involved in the inquisition, who, as clerics, were forbidden to kill. The accused also faced the possibility that his or her property might be confiscated. In some cases, accusers may have been motivated by a desire to take the property of the accused, though this is a difficult assertion to prove in the majority of areas where the inquisition was active, as the inquisition had several layers of oversight built into its framework in a specific attempt to limit prosecutorial misconduct.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 10:46:15 pm by Smokin Joe »

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Silver Pines

I don't believe the Constitutions says we can't have opinions.

@Emjay

Because of course, that's what I claimed.

Offline skeeter

So let me get this straight: he opposes Roy Moore specifically because Moore is on record wanting to ignore Article VI of the Constitution, and now people want to throw him under the bus?

I'm sorry, but I'm giving Sen. Sasse a pass on this one.

Sasse also threw out the term 'white grievance', and accused those falling under the rhubric of not having principles.

I know 'white supremist' is the new 'racist' and cold mean anything from KKK to anyone who are against amnesty for illegals. I'll need him to clarify what he means by his term before I decide whether I'm with those who have no more use for him.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 11:01:22 pm by skeeter »

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
@TomSea

Yeah, records and histories are so pre-Trump.  Who needs 'em.

Glad you said it, "records and histories" as in results, as in Governors such as Walker, Perry, Pence, Kasich, Christie. Actual doing. I don't see these governors on that chart.

http://heritageactionscorecard.com/members

Governors like R. Reagan.

@CatherineofAragon

Silver Pines

Glad you said it, "records and histories" as in results, as in Governors such as Walker, Perry, Pence, Kasich, Christie. Actual doing. I don't see these governors on that chart.

http://heritageactionscorecard.com/members

Governors like R. Reagan.

@CatherineofAragon

@TomSea

Records as in results already accomplished.

Stop pretending to be grossly obtuse.

Offline TomSea

@TomSea

Records as in results already accomplished.

Stop pretending to be grossly obtuse.

No, I'm not.
Have you ever heard people say "Oh, Senators, they don't make good presidents", well it has been said, it is said of Obama, prior to that, let's see, we had Bush 43, Governor, Clinton, Governor, Bush 41 Vice President, Reagan, Governor, Carter Governor.

Nothing obtuse about it.

@CatherineofAragon

« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 12:40:19 am by TomSea »

Silver Pines

No, I'm not.
Have you ever heard people say "Oh, Senators, they don't make good presidents", well it has been said, it is said of Obama, prior to that, let's see, we had Bush 43, Governor, Clinton, Governor, Bush 41 Vice President, Reagan, Governor, Carter Governor.

Nothing obtuse about it.

@CatherineofAragon

@TomSea, maybe you were under a rock for the last eight years, I don't know.  If so, you ought to know that former senator Obama enacted a pretty big part of his agenda.  We might not like the results, but he was a success in doing what he wanted to do. 

Offline Smokin Joe

@TomSea, maybe you were under a rock for the last eight years, I don't know.  If so, you ought to know that former senator Obama enacted a pretty big part of his agenda.  We might not like the results, but he was a success in doing what he wanted to do.
Precisely. Just because the "fundamental transformation" was NOT what we wanted, does not mean he was not highly effective (at wrecking things, siphoning off tax money, damaging the military, setting race relations back 50 years, ruining the best healthCARE system in the world, and increasing the national debt. That's a partial list, so I'd say he was devastatingly effective.)

C S Lewis

Offline TomSea

Call him a good president if that is what you think.

Iran deal, ISIS, North Korea, that on foreign affairs cinches it, what a sad time, what horrible decisions.

Sure, he got healthcare through, probably any Democrat would have gotten it through with both Houses controlled by Democrats and that being the Democrat agenda.

Offline TomSea

If I use any search engine:

"senators do not make good presidents"

Believe me I get hits, even Ann Coulter comments on this.  It's conventional wisdom that is often repeated, no matter who comes to one's aid and says "Yes, that's right, I agree with you".

@CatherineofAragon  @Smokin Joe

http://www.foxnews.com/transcript/2015/04/14/ann-coulter-senators-do-not-make-good-presidential-candidates.html
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 01:12:50 am by TomSea »

Offline Smokin Joe

Call him a good president if that is what you think.

Iran deal, ISIS, North Korea, that on foreign affairs cinches it, what a sad time, what horrible decisions.

Sure, he got healthcare through, probably any Democrat would have gotten it through with both Houses controlled by Democrats and that being the Democrat agenda.
Not a good president, an EFFECTIVE one.
He got his country wrecking agenda done, pretty much, despite resistance.
I can't really think of anything he did that I agree with, at least until he moved out of our White House.

We need someone even more effective (and Conservative) to reverse that damage.

C S Lewis

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
j. myrle wrote:
"One could say the same thing about Mormonism"

I wouldn't say that.
If one has a falling out as a Saint, one can end up disfellowshipped or excommunicated.
If a muslim goes against islam we all know what they do to apostates.

I've been reading a lot regarding Joseph Smith and the Saints lately (currently reading "Rough Stone Rolling").

Except for a period during which they were under intense attack from Missourians, the Saints didn't use violence against those who opposed them (and there were MANY who opposed them). They often were victims of horrible abuse, and chose to move on as a result.

It's true that some politics got mixed into their religion, however. One reason others feared the Saints is that they tended to vote as a block, according to Joseph's wishes. Smith even went to Washington to appeal to president Martin Van Buren for relief in Missouri. Van Buren gave Smith an audience but ultimately said that he "could do nothing for him". Later on, Smith went so far as to announce his own candidacy for the presidency, which of course went nowhere beyond his own people.

But to consign the Mormons to the same level of behaviour as the muslims?
That goes beyond stretching the bounds of reason...

Offline Smokin Joe

j. myrle wrote:
"One could say the same thing about Mormonism"

I wouldn't say that.
If one has a falling out as a Saint, one can end up disfellowshipped or excommunicated.
If a muslim goes against islam we all know what they do to apostates.

I've been reading a lot regarding Joseph Smith and the Saints lately (currently reading "Rough Stone Rolling").

Except for a period during which they were under intense attack from Missourians, the Saints didn't use violence against those who opposed them (and there were MANY who opposed them). They often were victims of horrible abuse, and chose to move on as a result.

It's true that some politics got mixed into their religion, however. One reason others feared the Saints is that they tended to vote as a block, according to Joseph's wishes. Smith even went to Washington to appeal to president Martin Van Buren for relief in Missouri. Van Buren gave Smith an audience but ultimately said that he "could do nothing for him". Later on, Smith went so far as to announce his own candidacy for the presidency, which of course went nowhere beyond his own people.

But to consign the Mormons to the same level of behaviour as the muslims?
That goes beyond stretching the bounds of reason...
Way beyond, IMHO. I worked with both Mormons and Muslims in the oil patch. I'd gladly work with Mormons again.

C S Lewis

Offline TomSea

Conventional wisdom, clearly there can be exceptions, like someone with a background like Senator Tom Cotton, served in Iraq, has a lot of foreign policy experience.

Offline TomSea

Not a good president, an EFFECTIVE one.
He got his country wrecking agenda done, pretty much, despite resistance.
I can't really think of anything he did that I agree with, at least until he moved out of our White House.

We need someone even more effective (and Conservative) to reverse that damage.

You admitted it,  not a good president, that's all one was asking.

Silver Pines

Precisely. Just because the "fundamental transformation" was NOT what we wanted, does not mean he was not highly effective (at wrecking things, siphoning off tax money, damaging the military, setting race relations back 50 years, ruining the best healthCARE system in the world, and increasing the national debt. That's a partial list, so I'd say he was devastatingly effective.)

@Smokin Joe

Exactly my point.  Yet the gibbering moron I've been talking with paints it as an attempt to compliment Obama because he can't differentiate between fact and flattery.

I suspect @TomSea would change his tune in a second if he knew that Rush Limbaugh, the bringer of gospel, made the same argument you and I are making now.

Offline Smokin Joe

@Smokin Joe

Exactly my point.  Yet the gibbering moron I've been talking with paints it as an attempt to compliment Obama because he can't differentiate between fact and flattery.

I suspect @TomSea would change his tune in a second if he knew that Rush Limbaugh, the bringer of gospel, made the same argument you and I are making now.
An artillery round may be effective, no matter where it lands. On the enemy:"good" on your own troops: "bad". Some people don't understand the difference between effectiveness and desirability of the result.

I wish that SOB had been ineffective, but he wasn't.

C S Lewis