Author Topic: GOP Sen. Ben Sasse Blasts Roy Moore, Condemns ‘White Backlash Grievance’ on the Right  (Read 13806 times)

Online kevindavis007

Sen. Ben Sasse (R-NE) has never exactly been in lockstep with the GOP establishment during his time on Capitol Hill. And his latest comments are unlikely to endear him to those in the mainstream wing of the party.

Speaking with conservative pundit Jonah Goldberg on The Remnant podcast (in remarks transcribed via The Hill), Sasse discussed the state of the GOP in the context of the Alabama Senate race — in which highly controversial conservative candidate Roy Moore defeated mainstream incumbent Luther Strange in the Republican primary.

Read More: https://www.mediaite.com/online/gop-sen-ben-sasse-blasts-roy-moore-condemns-white-backlash-grievance-on-the-right/
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Fantom

Sen. Ben Sasse (R-NE) has never exactly been in lockstep with the GOP establishment during his time on Capitol Hill. And his latest comments are unlikely to endear him to those in the mainstream wing of the party.

Speaking with conservative pundit Jonah Goldberg on The Remnant podcast (in remarks transcribed via The Hill), Sasse discussed the state of the GOP in the context of the Alabama Senate race — in which highly controversial conservative candidate Roy Moore defeated mainstream incumbent Luther Strange in the Republican primary.

Read More: https://www.mediaite.com/online/gop-sen-ben-sasse-blasts-roy-moore-condemns-white-backlash-grievance-on-the-right/

Thank you. For clarification of my understanding.

Ben Sasse died with me tonight.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

It is becoming quite apparent that Ben Sasse is not what he represented himself to be in order to get himself elected.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline RetBobbyMI

Chalk another up as succumbing to the DeeCee swamp disease.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 12:25:32 am by RetBobbyMI »
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Fantom

It is becoming quite apparent that Ben Sasse is not what he represented himself to be in order to get himself elected.

Nope, another McCain/Flake slime-ball.... it seems
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Sasse gettin' sassy.

Primary him next time around.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

So this was ok with you already?

Sen. Ben Sasse asks if President Trump is 'recanting' his oath of office

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2017/10/12/sen-ben-sasse-asks-if-president-trump-recanting-his-oath-office/757182001/
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
So let me get this straight: he opposes Roy Moore specifically because Moore is on record wanting to ignore Article VI of the Constitution, and now people want to throw him under the bus?

I'm sorry, but I'm giving Sen. Sasse a pass on this one.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Frank Cannon

Can someone tell me who this Ben is and what he has done in his life to be noteworthy?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 04:21:54 am by Frank Cannon »

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

So let me get this straight: he opposes Roy Moore specifically because Moore is on record wanting to ignore Article VI of the Constitution, and now people want to throw him under the bus?

Roy Moore laid out a convincing argument in his editorial that the principals of the Koran are incompatible with the US Constitution and Declaration of Independence, our foundational documents.

You say Moore is ignoring Article VI.  That is not within the mentioned article written by him.  He never claimed that a religious test be made as prohibited in Article VI.

What he did say was that Congress not seat him.  His stated oath to uphold our Constitution was made on a Koran which specifically rejects areas of our Constitution.

In other words, he is either going to avoid being faithful to his faith or being faithful to our country.  He cannot do both.

Moore is actually asking Congress to enforce Article VI, not ignore a part of it.  The part being enforced is related to the oath of office and is in bold.  You are focusing on the latter part only

The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States.

Do you have some other record of Moore other than this article which states he actually says what you say he says?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

What part of Article IV? This one?
Section 1.

Full faith and credit shall be given in each state to the public acts, records, and judicial proceedings of every other state. And the Congress may by general laws prescribe the manner in which such acts, records, and proceedings shall be proved, and the effect thereof.

Why isn't my CCW permit good in all states and Federal Properties?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Fantom

So this was ok with you already?

Sen. Ben Sasse asks if President Trump is 'recanting' his oath of office

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2017/10/12/sen-ben-sasse-asks-if-president-trump-recanting-his-oath-office/757182001/

Oh my, you are so correct.....now I have the vapors.....where oh where is my fainting couch?  Sasse.. you fool , get off of it.

Let me get your point correct, if the democrat press started calling for all blacks to be hung... you and Sasse would be fine with that? Correct?

@IsailedawayfromFR
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 09:46:06 am by Fantom »

Frederick Douglass

Offline Fantom

Can someone tell me who this Ben is and what he has done in his life to be noteworthy?

Well, he did crack corn... er nope that was Jimmy....my bad.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Roy Moore laid out a convincing argument in his editorial that the principals of the Koran are incompatible with the US Constitution and Declaration of Independence, our foundational documents.

You say Moore is ignoring Article VI.  That is not within the mentioned article written by him.  He never claimed that a religious test be made as prohibited in Article VI.

What he did say was that Congress not seat him.  His stated oath to uphold our Constitution was made on a Koran which specifically rejects areas of our Constitution.

In other words, he is either going to avoid being faithful to his faith or being faithful to our country.  He cannot do both.

Moore is actually asking Congress to enforce Article VI, not ignore a part of it.  The part being enforced is related to the oath of office and is in bold.  You are focusing on the latter part only

The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States.

Do you have some other record of Moore other than this article which states he actually says what you say he says?

GREAT post and absolutely on target!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 01:07:58 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline aligncare

Sasse gettin' sassy.

Sean Hannity pushed hard for Ben Sasse during Sasse’s campaign but has since apologized to his audience for the mistake. Sean admitted he was suckered in by Sasse’s posturing to get voters to believe he was a model conservative.

Offline dfwgator

Sasse gettin' sassy.

Silver Pines

Sean Hannity pushed hard for Ben Sasse during Sasse’s campaign but has since apologized to his audience for the mistake. Sean admitted he was suckered in by Sasse’s posturing to get voters to believe he was a model conservative.

@aligncare

I liked Sasse's comeback: "Sorry, Sean. you're the one who's changed.  Some of us still believe in the Constitution."

Silver Pines

Sasse's Heritage Action scorecard is 94%---the same as Ted Cruz and Dave Brat.  But here we go again...he says one thing that ignites the outrage and we're going to throw him out.

Yeah, no.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Republicans lose often because of this "abandoning" of politicians...

I don't know if Mourdock, Christine O'Donnel, Todd Akin all went too far in what they said; but it has been pointed out, the Democrats often don't throw their candidates under the bus for some perceived outrage.

Also, I value honesty, even if sometimes, I will hear so and so says something I disagree with.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

Good one.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Sasse's Heritage Action scorecard is 94%---the same as Ted Cruz and Dave Brat.  But here we go again...he says one thing that ignites the outrage and we're going to throw him out.

Yeah, no.

Well, apparently some of us are.  I don't like what he said and I don't want a Muslim to have any political office in the United States.

I would prefer that we didn't have any Muslims in the country period.

I don't know what that makes me but it's the way I feel.

Silver Pines

Well, apparently some of us are.  I don't like what he said and I don't want a Muslim to have any political office in the United States.

I would prefer that we didn't have any Muslims in the country period.

I don't know what that makes me but it's the way I feel.

@Emjay

Well, I feel the same way you do about that, but not being a leftist, my feelings are not the be-all and end-all of it.  The Constitution is the law, and we better amend it if we don't like what it says.

Offline TomSea

Yeah, no.

I'm sure Roy Moore if elected, will rack up a good "Heritage Action" scorecard. I'm not sure though, if this proves he is ideal.

It is good if that is how these politicians think and that these are principles that they stand for but it's not an end-all.

Stands up for freedom of religion, check.
Advocates the right to bear arms, check.
Is for border security, check.
Wants tax and healthcare reforum, double-check.

And so on.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 07:35:05 pm by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

I wonder how many people actually read this article to read what Ben said before deciding they want nothing to do with him.

From the few things in the article, what is false?

"White backlash"? Well, as much as I dislike that terminology, I'd say it's accurate.

I really wish ace conservative Mo Brooks would have won. One can look him up and he's pretty solid, I think and that is whom I would have vote in that first election.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
@Emjay

Well, I feel the same way you do about that, but not being a leftist, my feelings are not the be-all and end-all of it.  The Constitution is the law, and we better amend it if we don't like what it says.

I don't believe the Constitutions says we can't have opinions.

Somebody's gonna have to prove to me that Islam is a religion and not a cult.