Author Topic: Trump declares opioid crisis a 'public health emergency'  (Read 2863 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Trump declares opioid crisis a 'public health emergency'
« on: October 26, 2017, 09:42:29 pm »
Trump declares opioid crisis a 'public health emergency'
Fox News, Oct 26, 2017, Barnini Chakraborty

Calling it a “national shame” and “human tragedy,” President Trump on Thursday declared the opioid epidemic crippling American communities a “public health emergency” and pledged federal resources to help combat the growing problem.

“Addressing it will require all of our effort, and it will require us to confront the crisis in all of its real complexity,” Trump said during a speech in the East Room of the White House.

“As Americans, we cannot allow this to continue,” Trump said. “It is time to liberate our communities from the scourge. ... We can be the generation that ends the opioid epidemic.”

More:  http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/10/26/trump-to-declare-opioid-public-health-emergency.html

Online roamer_1

Re: Trump declares opioid crisis a 'public health emergency'
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 09:45:43 pm »
and pledged federal resources to help combat the growing problem.

woohoo! Spend dat money, boy! You can make more!

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 09:46:23 pm »
Trump speaks emotionally of the brother he lost to alcoholism as he and Melania declare opioid addiction a 'national public health emergency'
Daily Mail/UK, Oct 26, 2017

President Donald  Trump proclaimed the opioid epidemic a 'national public health emergency' Thursday afternoon and made it personal by talking about his late brother Fred.

'We will defeat this opioid epidemic,' Trump declared. 'We are going to overcome addiction in America,' the president assured.

Trump made the crisis personal as he delivered remarks on the issue from the White House's East Room on Thursday with his wife Melania standing by.

Reflecting on the affliction that snuffed out 64,000 American lives last year, Trump brought up his brother Fred, who died of alcoholism when he was 43.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5020605/Trump-declares-opioid-epidemic-public-health-crisis.html#ixzz4weYrmgSj

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 09:49:49 pm »
Melania Trump: Drug addiction ‘can happen to any of us’
NY Post, Oct 26, 2017, Mark Moore

First Lady Melania Trump lamented the scourge of drug addiction across the country and ​said it “can happen to any of us.”

Speaking moments before President Trump declared the opioid crisis a “national public health emergency” in a speech at the White House, the first lady described how she has been participating in meetings and listening sessions about the drug epidemic.

She said what she has learned is ​that “this can happen to any of us. Drug addiction can take your friends, neighbors, or your family. No state has been spared.”

More: http://nypost.com/2017/10/26/melania-trump-drug-addiction-can-happen-to-any-of-us/

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 10:03:04 pm »

Offline Applewood

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 10:05:14 pm »
Pennsylvania is already spending gobs of money on this "crisis."  I'll bet other states are doing the same. Why should our federal tax dollars go to it too?

God knows how many billions have been spent on the "War on Drugs" all these years with nothing to show for it.   What makes Trump and the others think throwing money at opioid addiction is going to work? 

But let's assume for a moment that this "crisis" is real.  Before our money is once again thrown down the rabbit hole, how about giving us a thorough description of the plan for combatting this problem?  Tell us exactly where the money is going. 

I'll bet there is no plan and this is just another extortion racket.

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 10:07:09 pm »
woohoo! Spend dat money, boy! You can make more!

@roamer_1 ... This is calling for a reallocation of resources, not more money.

The acting health and human services secretary has officially declared the opioid crisis a nationwide public health emergency, as requested by President Donald Trump.

Eric D. Hargan says in a statement that Trump "has made this national crisis a top priority since he took office in January." And: "we are proud to be leading in this effort at HHS."

The declaration does not provide any additional money to fight the opioid epidemic, but it does allow agencies to redirect resources.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/latest-trump-declare-opioid-public-health-emergency-50732977 

@Applewood

« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 10:07:44 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 10:09:03 pm »
@roamer_1 ... This is calling for a reallocation of resources, not more money.

Yeah riiiight. Heard that one before.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 10:15:10 pm »
Yeah I don't believe it either.

So how is this reallocation of resources going to work?  Are they going to rob Medicare?  Maybe Social Security? 
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 10:17:21 pm by Applewood »

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 10:17:45 pm »
Yeah riiiight. Heard that one before.

:shrug:

Online roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 10:29:54 pm »
Yeah I don't believe it either.

If these jokers were enacting a balanced budget and cutting spending in a draconian fashion, perhaps I might have more faith in it all... But since it's otherwise, it's just another drama-packed episode of 'As the Fed Burns ($$)'...

What will they do?
Much hue and cry, much reason to lift your wallet, a sudden wellspring for morphine addiction centers that will cost a ton of money, and then they'll just outlaw opioids and leave people worse off then they found em.

Watch it happen.

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2017, 12:22:11 am »
If these jokers were enacting a balanced budget and cutting spending in a draconian fashion, perhaps I might have more faith in it all... But since it's otherwise, it's just another drama-packed episode of 'As the Fed Burns ($$)'...

What will they do?
Much hue and cry, much reason to lift your wallet, a sudden wellspring for morphine addiction centers that will cost a ton of money, and then they'll just outlaw opioids and leave people worse off then they found em.

Watch it happen. 

*****rollingeyes*****

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2017, 12:38:15 am »
Pennsylvania is already spending gobs of money on this "crisis."  I'll bet other states are doing the same. Why should our federal tax dollars go to it too?

God knows how many billions have been spent on the "War on Drugs" all these years with nothing to show for it.   What makes Trump and the others think throwing money at opioid addiction is going to work? 

But let's assume for a moment that this "crisis" is real.  Before our money is once again thrown down the rabbit hole, how about giving us a thorough description of the plan for combatting this problem?  Tell us exactly where the money is going. 

I'll bet there is no plan and this is just another extortion racket.

Every article I've seen whines that Donny is having the agencies use existing money that they are wasting on other things for this. If that is the case who gives a shit. Quite honestly this whole "Crisis" seems to be self correcting.....

Online roamer_1

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2017, 03:01:27 pm »
The White House
Office of the Press Secretary

For Immediate Release
October 26, 2017

Remarks by President Trump on Combatting Drug Demand and the Opioid Crisis

East Room
2:26 P.M. EDT

THE PRESIDENT:  Thank you, Melania, for your moving words and for your devotion -- it's a very deep devotion, I can tell you that -- to our nation and its children.

Thank you also to members of Congress, my Cabinet, governors, members of Congress, state, local leaders, first responders, and healthcare professionals gathered here today.  We have some truly incredible people in this room -- that I can tell you. 

Most importantly, we acknowledge the families present who have lost a cherished loved one.  As you all know from personal experience, families, communities, and citizens across our country are currently dealing with the worst drug crisis in American history and even, if you really think about it, world history.  This is all throughout the world.  The fact is this is a worldwide problem. 

This crisis of drug use, addiction, and overdose deaths in many years, it's just been so long in the making.  Addressing it will require all of our effort and it will require us to confront the crisis in all of its very real complexity.

Last year, we lost at least 64,000 Americans to overdoses.  That’s 175 lost American lives per day.  That’s seven lost lives per hour in our country.  Drug overdoses are now the leading cause of unintentional death in the United States by far.

Read more:  https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2017/10/26/remarks-president-trump-combatting-drug-demand-and-opioid-crisis

Offline aligncare

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2017, 03:14:20 pm »

*****rollingeyes*****

They don’t know Trump very well, do they? President Trump has be cutting wasteful spending everywhere he finds it and has some control over it. This latest action is no different.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2017, 03:15:00 pm »
The White House
Office of the Press Secretary

For Immediate Release
October 26, 2017

Remarks by President Trump on Combatting Drug Demand and the Opioid Crisis

East Room
2:26 P.M. EDT

THE PRESIDENT:  Thank you, Melania, for your moving words and for your devotion -- it's a very deep devotion, I can tell you that -- to our nation and its children.

Thank you also to members of Congress, my Cabinet, governors, members of Congress, state, local leaders, first responders, and healthcare professionals gathered here today.  We have some truly incredible people in this room -- that I can tell you. 

Most importantly, we acknowledge the families present who have lost a cherished loved one.  As you all know from personal experience, families, communities, and citizens across our country are currently dealing with the worst drug crisis in American history and even, if you really think about it, world history.  This is all throughout the world.  The fact is this is a worldwide problem. 

This crisis of drug use, addiction, and overdose deaths in many years, it's just been so long in the making.  Addressing it will require all of our effort and it will require us to confront the crisis in all of its very real complexity.

Last year, we lost at least 64,000 Americans to overdoses.  That’s 175 lost American lives per day.  That’s seven lost lives per hour in our country.  Drug overdoses are now the leading cause of unintentional death in the United States by far.

Read more:  https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2017/10/26/remarks-president-trump-combatting-drug-demand-and-opioid-crisis

Do you think that any of this is going to do one thing to stop the "Crisis"?

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2017, 03:23:16 pm »
@Frank Cannon, you didn't paste the part of the speech where he talks about the things to be done....which seem to be largely more top-down, control-type things.

I want to acknowledge CVS Caremark for announcing last month that it will limit certain first-time opioid prescriptions to seven-day supplies, among other important reforms.

Great.  So legitimate users have a hard time getting their meds.

I had to drive 100+ miles round-trip to get a refill because of the restrictions when I needed them.  This is ridiculous.

The FDA is now requiring drug companies that manufacture prescription opioids to provide more training to prescribers and to help prevent abuse and addiction, and has requested that one especially high-risk opioid be withdrawn from the market immediately.  We are requiring that a specific opioid, which is truly evil, be taken off the market immediately.

A medication is "evil"?

Sure.  And my handgun is sneaking out each night to prowl the streets, too.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2017, 03:33:06 pm »

I don't know @Frank Cannon ... what would you suggest to save 64,000 Americans from dying from opioid abuse?

But then I may be presumptuous assuming you think these lives are worth saving.   :shrug:

Offline aligncare

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2017, 03:33:09 pm »

No. And in fact clamping down may make doctors’ jobs more difficult and patients’ legitimate pain issues more difficult to treat as well.

But, there’s nothing wrong with this part from his statement: “Addressing it will require all of our effort and it will require us to confront the crisis in all of its very real complexity.”

Solving complex social problems will require serious attention from as many serious people as possible. The president is bringing it to the nation’s attention as part of his job.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2017, 03:34:00 pm »
Every article I've seen whines that Donny is having the agencies use existing money that they are wasting on other things for this. If that is the case who gives a shit. Quite honestly this whole "Crisis" seems to be self correcting.....

That's fantastic.  Reminds me of where I sleep.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2017, 03:36:54 pm »
I don't know @Frank Cannon ... what would you suggest to save 64,000 Americans from dying from opioid abuse?

But then I may be presumptuous assuming you think these lives are worth saving.   :shrug:

What you or I think about their worth is irrelevant if they have no self-worth.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2017, 03:37:13 pm »

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2017, 03:38:50 pm »

These lives are not worth saving in my book, but if they were and the Feds were really serious about this we would do what other successful countries do. If you get found with any amount of any drug you are immediately thrown into a 22 month in patient drug rehab. That would eliminate a large amount of freedom in the country, but hey man, it's a crisis. We all have to panic and do something. Just look how well the TSA turned out.