Author Topic: Not so isolated: North Korea’s elite uses Gmail, Facebook and iTunes  (Read 739 times)

Offline DemolitionMan

By Craig Timberg and Ellen Nakashima

Western researchers recently began sifting through troves of North Korean Internet data, looking for activity related to missile launches or malicious cyber activity within the famously isolated country.

What they found instead surprised them.

North Korea’s tiny circle of elite families — among the few people in the country with unfettered access to the Internet — turned out to be strikingly like the rest of the world in their digital habits.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/not-so-isolated-north-koreas-elite-uses-gmail-facebook-and-itunes/2017/07/24/c79255c0-7081-11e7-8f39-eeb7d3a2d304_story.html?utm_term=.6ee1f4b35019
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline stephen50right

Re: Not so isolated: North Korea’s elite uses Gmail, Facebook and iTunes
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 08:06:56 am »
The elite in dictatorships always live like kings and queens, we all know that.

Another useless Washington Post story.

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 08:28:27 am »
The elite in dictatorships always live like kings and queens, we all know that.

Another useless Washington Post story.

You should not dismiss the story.Classical Communism is a political theory derived from Karl Marx, advocating class war and leading to a society in which all property is publicly owned and each person works and is paid according to their abilities and needs. North Korean communists did not accept Marxism, because it was based on European capitalist experiences, and Leninism, which was based on Russia's experience, they conceived of Juche.Unlike Marxism–Leninism, which considers material forces to be the driving force of historical progress (known as historical materialism).Kim Il-sung (1912–1994) developed the ideology, originally viewed as a variant of Marxism–Leninism until it became distinctly "Korean" in character. Juche in North Korea considers human beings in general to be the driving force in history.Venezuela practices this form of Communism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communism
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juche
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 08:35:50 am by DemolitionMan »
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline stephen50right

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 08:54:38 am »
You should not dismiss the story.Classical Communism is a political theory derived from Karl Marx, advocating class war and leading to a society in which all property is publicly owned and each person works and is paid according to their abilities and needs. North Korean communists did not accept Marxism, because it was based on European capitalist experiences, and Leninism, which was based on Russia's experience, they conceived of Juche.Unlike Marxism–Leninism, which considers material forces to be the driving force of historical progress (known as historical materialism).Kim Il-sung (1912–1994) developed the ideology, originally viewed as a variant of Marxism–Leninism until it became distinctly "Korean" in character. Juche in North Korea considers human beings in general to be the driving force in history.Venezuela practices this form of Communism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communism
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juche

Call it whatever ya like...dictators act basically the same regardless of their political spin, and that hasn't changed since the dawn of civilization.

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 08:56:08 am »
Call it whatever ya like...dictators act basically the same regardless of their political spin, and that hasn't changed since the dawn of civilization.

Remember, every dictator runs it government differently. You cannot compare Maoism from Stalinism. You cannot compare the Nazis from Stalin. They each have their special brand of terror.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 08:58:41 am by DemolitionMan »

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 09:00:09 am »
Remember, every dictator runs it government differently. You cannot compare Maoism from Stalinism. You cannot compare the Nazis from Stalin. They each have their special brand of terror.

For decades we drove a wedge between Mao and the Communist Russian government between the 1970s-1990s.Nixon drove that wedge between the Russians and the Chinese.Rapprochement fundamentally altered the context of the Cold War. Right now, there is a wedge between Kim and President Xi.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China%E2%80%93United_States_relations
https://www.jstor.org/stable/41950411
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHZL_enUS717US717&q=Rapprochement+between+the+US+and+China&spell=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwit5tmW943XAhXpiVQKHS-VBOkQvwUIIygA&biw=1920&bih=974
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 09:09:50 am by DemolitionMan »

Offline stephen50right

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 04:00:30 pm »

I agree with ya. I think that's what I stated. 😉

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 12:05:31 am »
I agree with ya. I think that's what I stated. 😉

I have been sick with the flu. Its taken alot of energy. But if you want the king of all of the despots it will be Pol Pot of Cambodia. Nobody knows who many people he murdered under his reign.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 02:19:00 am by DemolitionMan »

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2017, 12:19:25 am »
I saw a recent documentary on North Korea.  The government has its own internet and that is the only one citizens with phones and computer can get on.  They cannot get on regular internet - only the government one and the government controls what is on there.  Very few have a phone as they are so expensive.

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2017, 02:10:09 am »
I saw a recent documentary on North Korea.  The government has its own internet and that is the only one citizens with phones and computer can get on.  They cannot get on regular internet - only the government one and the government controls what is on there.  Very few have a phone as they are so expensive.

Kim loves surfing the internet.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/12/22/technology/security/north-korean-internet/index.html

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2017, 02:20:31 am »
Sorry. I do agree. I have been sick with the flu. Its taken alot of energy. But if you want the king of all of the despots it will be Pol Pot of Cambodia. Nobody knows who many people he murdered under his reign.

Point of fact. All of the people who lived THROUGH those regimes, however varied in their aspet or application, repeat a base consistent dialogue.

I am going to disagree with the under reporting, by the mainstream, as proof of Pol Pot being the king. The vid "The killing fields".

There is this thing of underreported, ignored, or blatantly disregarded stats of the mass murders in the heart of Africa. And no one talks about it.

What was that last bomb attack by Boko Haram?

My point being there has been a consistent and pervasive genocide going on and on going in central Africa for several decades now. At least from the point I became aware of that. 

Redcoats, Mao Jackets, whatever. Three piece button downs. Paint the picture. Put on the  persona, the "look" and talk the talk.

At the end of the day. It is ALL the same ole same ole.

Spit

@Smokin Joe @Cyber Liberty @txradioguy @RoosGirl @Jazzhead

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2017, 02:22:46 am »
Point of fact. All of the people who lived THROUGH those regimes, however varied in their aspet or application, repeat a base consistent dialogue.

I am going to disagree with the under reporting, by the mainstream, as proof of Pol Pot being the king. The vid "The killing fields".

There is this thing of underreported, ignored, or blatantly disregarded stats of the mass murders in the heart of Africa. And no one talks about it.

What was that last bomb attack by Boko Haram?

My point being there has been a consistent and pervasive genocide going on and on going in central Africa for several decades now. At least from the point I became aware of that. 

Redcoats, Mao Jackets, whatever. Three piece button downs. Paint the picture. Put on the  persona, the "look" and talk the talk.

At the end of the day. It is ALL the same ole same ole.

Spit

@Smokin Joe @Cyber Liberty @txradioguy @RoosGirl @Jazzhead

Great Point!!!!

:beer:
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 02:23:29 am by DemolitionMan »

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2017, 02:28:12 am »
Maybe I didn't quite finish the thought. From my point of view, it isn't in the actual numbers one despot murders, or the cause-political--theological--ideologically--thereof. It is the comparable consistency that matters.

Evil is evil.

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2017, 02:46:10 am »
Maybe I didn't quite finish the thought. From my point of view, it isn't in the actual numbers one despot murders, or the cause-political--theological--ideologically--thereof. It is the comparable consistency that matters.

Evil is evil.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2017, 02:49:03 am »
As a comparative, take into the accounts of history. Number of people in the comparative populations to the numbers killed. Start from the "beginning". Mesopotamia (?) Sumerians, Assyrians, Hittites, Egyptians, Phoenicians, "Sea Peoples, Persians, Greeks, Romans, Alexander the GREAT (???) --you see the drift????-yeah... go eastward the Chinese, Mongolians, the Japanese. A little to the south, the old East Indian texts.

Biblical.

Get back to Western Europe.  Include the Crusades. You seeing what I am telling you?

Islam.

The slaughter is consistent.

There is a better way.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2017, 02:53:05 am »
Mea culpa.

"My" Viking heritage.

On a personal note: One was more than enough. @Cyber Liberty  @Smokin Joe

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2017, 02:57:37 am »

I admit I fast read your post.  You are to the point.

:patriot: :beer:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2017, 03:12:01 am »
@DemolitionMan, meet Fred.  He's a good friend of mine.

@bigheadfred, meet DemolitionMan.  He's a good friend of mine.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2017, 03:14:31 am »
@DemolitionMan, meet Fred.  He's a good friend of mine.

@bigheadfred, meet DemolitionMan.  He's a good friend of mine.

Thank You Cyber Liberty for introducing me to bigheadfread.Cyber Liberty is a great person.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 03:15:07 am by DemolitionMan »

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2017, 03:36:16 am »
OK. Now that is abridged. I mean a bridged. Like  I bought a pocket tee at a Gap Store ONCE.

comments aside

@DemolitionMan. You have an agenda. PM me on your mission statement. You are posting a large number of articles without much commentary per. This isn't a complaint. Merely this is a "relatively" small forum.The inundation of articles you post don't give "us", the most consistent commentators, a chance to discuss the issue (s..per article posted)

As far as a "Madman" approach to wards visibility aka viability...bazinga

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2017, 03:40:48 am »
OK. Now that is abridged. I mean a bridged. Like  I bought a pocket tee at a Gap Store ONCE.

comments aside

@DemolitionMan. You have an agenda. PM me on your mission statement. You are posting a large number of articles without much commentary per. This isn't a complaint. Merely this is a "relatively" small forum.The inundation of articles you post don't give "us", the most consistent commentators, a chance to discuss the issue (s..per article posted)

As far as a "Madman" approach to wards visibility aka viability...bazinga

Nancy has liked my approach and has received some praise from her. That is the reason why she has given me this board and a second one. If she tells me to dial down I will. I recieve my marching orders from the mods and Nancy. They want the "World News" and I am giving it to them.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 03:48:59 am by DemolitionMan »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2017, 04:01:25 am »
@DemolitionMan , Fred likes to talk on PM, too.  His invitation is high praise, go ahead and do it.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2017, 04:03:08 am »
@DemolitionMan , Fred likes to talk on PM, too.  His invitation is high praise, go ahead and do it.

OK.