Author Topic: Bill O’Reilly: “I’m Mad at God.”  (Read 2314 times)

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Re: Bill O’Reilly: “I’m Mad at God.”
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2017, 12:04:03 pm »
It is his own stupid assed self, doing it to himself.

Well, of course.  That was my point.   O'Reilly apparently was willing to give props to God for his fame, fortune and success,  but when it all turned to shit, now he's mad at God?   Is God just playing games with him?   When I read this story yesterday,  I was reminded of Randy Newman's "God's Song" - where as the Deity he sings "That's why I love mankind - they really need me",  as He brings down pestilence and misery for the fun of it.   

It's best to stop assuming that God's got your back, and live by the straight and narrow.   Yeah,  O'Reilly ultimately did this to himself, with a lot of help from the PC jackals.  Blood in the water attracts sharks.   But the wounds were self-inflicted. 

It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2017, 12:07:32 pm »
Why else would he have created us?

1: He was Bored?
Then he's not omnipotent.

2: He was lonely?
See #1

3: He wanted a good belly laugh?
If you've got a better theory, let me know.

Here's Randy Newman's take -

God's Song (That's Why I Love Mankind), by Randy Newman

Cain slew Abel, Seth knew not why
 For if the children of Israel were to multiply
 Why must any of the children die?
 So he asked the Lord
 And the Lord said:

Man means nothing, he means less to me
 Than the lowliest cactus flower
 Or the humblest Yucca tree
 He chases round this desert
 'Cause he thinks that's where I'll be
 That's why I love mankind

I recoil in horror from the foulness of thee
 From the squalor and the filth and the misery
 How we laugh up here in heaven at the prayers you offer me

The Christians and the Jews were having a jamboree
 The Buddhists and the Hindus joined on satellite TV
 They picked their four greatest priests
 And they began to speak
 They said, "Lord, a plague is on the world
 Lord, no man is free
 The temples that we built to you
 Have tumbled into the sea
 Lord, if you won't take care of us
 Won't you please, please let us be?"
 And the Lord said
 And the Lord said

I burn down your cities-how blind you must be
 I take from you your children and you say how blessed are we
 You all must be crazy to put your faith in me
 You really need me

« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 12:08:13 pm by Jazzhead »

Silver Pines

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2017, 01:41:55 pm »
Here's Randy Newman's take -

God's Song (That's Why I Love Mankind), by Randy Newman

Cain slew Abel, Seth knew not why
 For if the children of Israel were to multiply
 Why must any of the children die?
 So he asked the Lord
 And the Lord said:

Man means nothing, he means less to me
 Than the lowliest cactus flower
 Or the humblest Yucca tree
 He chases round this desert
 'Cause he thinks that's where I'll be

I recoil in horror from the foulness of thee
 From the squalor and the filth and the misery
 How we laugh up here in heaven at the prayers you offer me

The Christians and the Jews were having a jamboree
 The Buddhists and the Hindus joined on satellite TV
 They picked their four greatest priests
 And they began to speak
 They said, "Lord, a plague is on the world
 Lord, no man is free
 The temples that we built to you
 Have tumbled into the sea
 Lord, if you won't take care of us
 Won't you please, please let us be?"
 And the Lord said
 And the Lord said

I burn down your cities-how blind you must be
 I take from you your children and you say how blessed are we
 You all must be crazy to put your faith in me
 You really need me

@Jazzhead

Yes, Randy Newman is a long-trusted source for theological wisdom.

Honestly, it doesn't matter who it is.  If the person happens to validate (IYO) your anger at God, then he or she nails it.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2017, 01:50:22 pm »
Why should I be angry with God, CofA?   I've been a lucky man, blessed with the greatest kids in the world.   But Newman's song is what I thought of when reading of O'Reilly's anger,  and that's why I posted it in response to To-Whose-Benefit.   

Offline musiclady

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2017, 02:24:28 pm »
@Jazzhead

Yes, Randy Newman is a long-trusted source for theological wisdom.

Honestly, it doesn't matter who it is.  If the person happens to validate (IYO) your anger at God, then he or she nails it.

You've clearly read enough of @Jazzhead  posts to know exactly where he's coming from......

Though I often quote "Short People" while having theological discussions............... don't you, @CatherineofAragon ?  ^-^

Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Silver Pines

« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2017, 02:31:18 pm »
You've clearly read enough of @Jazzhead  posts to know exactly where he's coming from......

Though I often quote "Short People" while having theological discussions............... don't you, @CatherineofAragon ?  ^-^

@musiclady

I used to do it all the time.  But then I discovered the analyses and scholarship of Weird Al.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2017, 02:37:50 pm »
Well, of course.  That was my point.   O'Reilly apparently was willing to give props to God for his fame, fortune and success,  but when it all turned to shit, now he's mad at God?   Is God just playing games with him?   When I read this story yesterday,  I was reminded of Randy Newman's "God's Song" - where as the Deity he sings "That's why I love mankind - they really need me",  as He brings down pestilence and misery for the fun of it.   

It's best to stop assuming that God's got your back, and live by the straight and narrow.   Yeah,  O'Reilly ultimately did this to himself, with a lot of help from the PC jackals.  Blood in the water attracts sharks.   But the wounds were self-inflicted.

It's best to stop assuming that God's got your back, and live by the straight and narrow.

I admittedly haven't read all of your posts. But I am casting my vote now that that statement is the most stupid and ignorant statement you have ever made.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2017, 03:12:14 pm »
It's best to stop assuming that God's got your back, and live by the straight and narrow.

I admittedly haven't read all of your posts. But I am casting my vote now that that statement is the most stupid and ignorant statement you have ever made.

Is it better to assume that God's got your back, and you can do all the crazy, irresponsible stuff you want, safe in the knowledge that if you go to confession the slate'll be wiped clean?

I understand there's a serious theological issue here, and one I've debated before on this board.   One side says faith is enough for salvation, the other says that good works are required.   I'm of the latter school.   I'm not interested in re-debating the matter, but I wanted to throw that out in response to your insult.   

Yes,  I believe in God, but no, I don't think He's necessarily got my back.  Honestly,  I'm sure God's got better things to do than concern Himself with my (or O'Reilly's) success or failure.    It's ultimately up to me and me alone, which is why I'm likely the most boring, straight and narrow cat you'll ever meet.   O'Reilly gave God the credit for his success, and the blame for his failure.   In truth,  O'Reilly raised himself up and knocked himself down.   
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 03:14:49 pm by Jazzhead »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2017, 03:22:23 pm »
@musiclady

I used to do it all the time.  But then I discovered the analyses and scholarship of Weird Al.

I gravitated toward Heywood Banks and songs of depth and beauty such as, "Excuse me, Your Forehead's on Fire."

@CatherineofAragon
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2017, 03:51:45 pm »
My point is that the term "straight and narrow" is a theological term. From my pov ALL of any civilization is theologically based. That governments are theologically based. That knigship is theolocically based--right down to our own Constitution. Inalienable rights...

Is it better to assume that God's got your back, and you can do all the crazy, irresponsible stuff you want, safe in the knowledge that if you go to confession the slate'll be wiped clean?

IMO. It is better to assume that when God wipes the slate clean you don't get the chance to repeat---after...
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Silver Pines

« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2017, 03:56:48 pm »
I gravitated toward Heywood Banks and songs of depth and beauty such as, "Excuse me, Your Forehead's on Fire."

@CatherineofAragon

@musiclady

:silly:

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2017, 04:29:57 pm »
My point is that the term "straight and narrow" is a theological term.

How is "straight and narrow" a theological term?   I certainly wasn't trying to give it any special theological meaning - I was trying to convey, in the context of Bill O'Reilly,  that given all the blessings of his fame, fortune and success, he really should have kept his pants zipped.   
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 04:30:58 pm by Jazzhead »

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2017, 04:53:37 pm »
How is "straight and narrow" a theological term?   I certainly wasn't trying to give it any special theological meaning - I was trying to convey, in the context of Bill O'Reilly,  that given all the blessings of his fame, fortune and success, he really should have kept his pants zipped.

Thank you for your reasoned response.

Mine was predicated by your opening.

In my head, I transliterated the first to the second.