Author Topic: Warren, other senators share horror stories of sexual harassment  (Read 1462 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Warren, other senators share horror stories of sexual harassment
NY Post, Oct 23, 2017, Marisa Schultz

WASHINGTON — Four female senators shared personal experiences of sexual harassment Sunday in support of the #MeToo movement formed in the wake of the widespread Harvey Weinstein abuse allegations.

Sens. Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.), Mazie Hirono (D-Hawaii), Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) and Heidi Heitkamp (D-N.D.) revealed on NBC’s “Meet the Press” the sexist behavior they faced before becoming powerful politicians in Washington.

More: http://nypost.com/2017/10/22/warren-other-senators-share-horror-stories-of-sexual-harassment/

Offline ConstitutionRose

Re: Warren, other senators share horror stories of sexual harassment
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 12:38:57 pm »
I was the only female in my classes in college when I decided to get a degree in computer science.  I was the only female on the job for many years.  Did some of the males I worked with act inappropriately?  YES!  Did I learn to handle it?  Yes.  Did I whine and complain.  No, because I very much wanted to make my way in a what was at that time a man's world. 

Along the way, I learned something good about the majority of men.  If you approach them expecting them to be gentlemem, they will ALMOST always behave that way.  I still start every encounter with males in the workplace with the words, "gentlemen", or something similar.  Most men seem to be flattered that you believe them to be gentlemen, white knights, etc.   There ARE advantages to being female as well as disadvantages. 
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 12:42:53 pm »
Heitkamp said as a state attorney general, she encountered resistance to her efforts to curb domestic violence.

A law enforcement official “put his finger in my face and he said, ‘Listen here, men will always beat their wives and you can’t stop ‘em.'”
She calls that sexual harassment?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Applewood

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 01:01:36 pm »
Back in the early 80s, the small firm I was working for was acquired by a much larger firm.  The small firm was very formal and  old fashioned. The men were always addressed as Mr. and the women as Miss or Mrs. (No Ms.).    No way would the men hit on the women or otherwise behave inappropriately.

The larger firm was quite different.  The men would hit on anything female.  Didn't matter if you were young, old, single, married, attractive or ugly. And the women went along with it.  More than a few of those women probably thought they could land a wealthy attorney so they wouldn't have to work again.   Financial security.  They were wrong.  The men just wanted a good time and once they got tired of these women, they would move onto someone else.

There was one senior partner who was a particularly mean spirited predator. He would try to entice a secretary, but if the secretary refused, he would have her fired. Eventually, he got around to me.  When I rejected him, he threatened me with termination, whereupon I told him if he did that, I knew some guys who, for a six pack of beer, would be more than happy to remove a vital part of his male anatomy.  He wisely backed off. 

These women sound to me like a bunch of crybabies.  I wonder if any of them were really harrassed.  I actually feel sorry for guys nowadays. They have to be afraid of saying anything to a woman for fear of being falsely accused.  Really sad that we have all these delicate snowflakes who have to have more government to protect them.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 01:05:25 pm »
Why didn’t Warren use her tomahawk?
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 01:08:58 pm »
I'd venture to guess that virtually every woman, and quite a few men, has experienced some form of attention that could be classified as sexual harassment.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

debrawiest

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 01:09:10 pm »

She’s looking for something to boost her re-election efforts. Heidi is the best the Dems have in this state right now. They hang all their hopes on her.

Not for one minute do I believe she ever had this conversation.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 01:21:33 pm »

Can’t help but notice they’re all democrats. Victim mentality?

Offline edpc

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 01:25:42 pm »
I'd venture to guess that virtually every woman, and quite a few men, has experienced some form of attention that could be classified as sexual harassment.

While in college, I worked in a hospital lab.  My dept had 10 women and 2 men.  Not sure if we got lost in the crowd or they felt safety in numbers, but they could be just as crude as guys in a locker room at times.  The word harassment never occurred to me.

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 01:28:29 pm »
Back in the early 80s, the small firm I was working for was acquired by a much larger firm.  The small firm was very formal and  old fashioned. The men were always addressed as Mr. and the women as Miss or Mrs. (No Ms.).    No way would the men hit on the women or otherwise behave inappropriately.

The larger firm was quite different.  The men would hit on anything female.  Didn't matter if you were young, old, single, married, attractive or ugly. And the women went along with it.  More than a few of those women probably thought they could land a wealthy attorney so they wouldn't have to work again.   Financial security.  They were wrong.  The men just wanted a good time and once they got tired of these women, they would move onto someone else.

There was one senior partner who was a particularly mean spirited predator. He would try to entice a secretary, but if the secretary refused, he would have her fired. Eventually, he got around to me.  When I rejected him, he threatened me with termination, whereupon I told him if he did that, I knew some guys who, for a six pack of beer, would be more than happy to remove a vital part of his male anatomy.  He wisely backed off. 

These women sound to me like a bunch of crybabies.  I wonder if any of them were really harrassed.  I actually feel sorry for guys nowadays. They have to be afraid of saying anything to a woman for fear of being falsely accused.  Really sad that we have all these delicate snowflakes who have to have more government to protect them.

I was a legal assistant before I went back to college for my computer science degree.  I worked in one law firm where a senior partner behaved inappropriately and viciously often.  One young lady decided not to play victim any longer and enlisted the aid of an attorney in a small law firm.  Presented with the evidence, the  firm's partners decided  it was time to take action and bought out the offending partner as well as paid the young lady a generous "so sorry" bonus. 

One of the senior partners in that firm was counsel to the President.

I have to agree on the snowflake thing.  How are that's young women going to make it in the real world.  I'd be afraid to hire one,

"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2017, 01:29:39 pm »

I don't think she did.  The article does not match the headline.  Headline talks about "harassment," the article is about "sexist attitudes."  Not the same thing, except to muckrakers.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2017, 01:30:29 pm »
And besides,  it can be a two-way street at that. At least, I think so. I could be wrong.  Damaging careers and family, that is so.

Offline verga

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2017, 01:34:45 pm »
Let me say right off, that there are genuine cases of sexual harassment, but I am also certain that like so many of these bandwagon issues that a certain number will prove to be hoaxes and only serve to dilute the severity of the real cases and make many expect to hear so many "cry Wolf"
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2017, 01:42:50 pm »
I worked my way through college in the campus food service. One of our managers was very handsy with all the girls. One time in the kitchen, he came up behind me and wrapped his arms around me in a kind of bear hug. I delivered a very sharp elbow to the ribcage and said, "Don't do that again, Jim." He didn't - to any of us.

You see, Fauxcahontas, that's one way to deal with it, instead of boo-hooing over your victimhood 40 years later.

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2017, 01:53:57 pm »
Who in their right mind would want to sexually harass any of those four harpies?
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline thackney

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2017, 02:00:13 pm »
While in college, I worked in a hospital lab.  My dept had 10 women and 2 men.  Not sure if we got lost in the crowd or they felt safety in numbers, but they could be just as crude as guys in a locker room at times.  The word harassment never occurred to me.

I worked in college processing medical insurances claims.  I would guess it closer to 50 women, 2 guys.  It has remained for me the most "sexual discussing" work environment I have ever encountered in the past 3 decades.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2017, 02:02:45 pm »
All of this lawlessness me too society reminds me of the origins of the Planet of the Apes saga. Is this how one segment of our society plans on taking over?
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Applewood

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2017, 02:03:31 pm »
Who in their right mind would want to sexually harass any of those four harpies?

It's like rape.  Has nothing to do with looks.  It's all about power.

But I question whether any of these women were actually harrassed in any way, shape or form.  Or are they magnifying some trivial experience from their past for political gain.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2017, 02:07:02 pm »

Some horror story.....   **nononono*

I tell you, these leftist idiot women are harming women who actually ARE molested.

As soon as one of these liars speaks out about imaginary nonsense, a whole segment of the population says "See??  It doesn't really happen."

But it does.

There are real horror stories out there.   Believe it.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2017, 02:07:59 pm »

But I question whether any of these women were actually harrassed in any way, shape or form. Or are they magnifying some trivial experience from their past for political gain.

Bingo.

It's all about leftist politicking.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2017, 02:09:39 pm »

But I question whether any of these women were actually harrassed in any way, shape or form.  Or are they magnifying some trivial experience from their past for political gain.

I'm going with what I bolded.  They are merely jumping on a bandwagon right now.

I've learned through all the SHARP classes they give us in the military it's not enough to actually be sexually harassed it's just if you feel that you were.  Meaning it's one person's interpretation of an event or a piece of a conversation they happened to hear against another person's word of what actually happened.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline edpc

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2017, 02:13:37 pm »
Heitkamp said as a state attorney general, she encountered resistance to her efforts to curb domestic violence.

A law enforcement official “put his finger in my face and he said, ‘Listen here, men will always beat their wives and you can’t stop ‘em.'”

By pure coincidence, the LEO was named Ike Turner.

Offline edpc

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2017, 02:19:52 pm »
I've learned through all the SHARP classes they give us in the military....

The military loves their acronyms, don’t they?  When I was in AIT at Ft Gordon, there was a poster on the wall, showing a communication network in a combined arms and services environment.  The caption said - An example of JTIDS in FAAD.  Below that, someone scribbled WTF?

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2017, 02:43:01 pm »
The military loves their acronyms, don’t they?  When I was in AIT at Ft Gordon, there was a poster on the wall, showing a communication network in a combined arms and services environment.  The caption said - An example of JTIDS in FAAD.  Below that, someone scribbled WTF?

One of the first things they taught us about writing when I was at DINFOS was "don't use acronyms".

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2017, 03:13:09 pm »
One of the first things they taught us about writing when I was at DINFOS was "don't use acronyms".

Especially TLAs, but those are for civvies.   ^-^
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: