Author Topic: George W. Bush is owed many apologies, by pundits, and pols, and you, and me  (Read 962 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Former President George W. Bush has never been one to criticize another president, either predecessor or successor, but he is in the news today for making some worthy remarks about bigotry that some believe were specifically targeted toward the current president.

Whether they are or not is pretty much besides the point. What he said is true, and it matters:.....

https://aleteia.org/blogs/the-anchoress/george-w-bush-is-owed-many-apologies-by-pundits-and-pols-and-you-and-me/

Offline Night Hides Not

Truth is in the eye of the beholder. She gave him a complete pass on being a consummate lame duck his last two years in office.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
This is a Catholic source, modern Catholicism and Pope Francis have been extremely lenient, even liberal on illegal immigration. That pretty much is the tale of the tape here.

That said, this woman Scalia does appear to be generally conservative in what I read about her.

Here they take her to task:

http://www.lepantoinstitute.org/faith-and-life/elizabeth-scalia-vs-st-thomas-aquinas/

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Bush did do some things well on the "social conservative front", Relevant Radio liked him.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

Whether they are or not [remarks on bigotry directed at Pres. Trump] is pretty much besides the point. What he said is true, and it matters:

Like hell it's "besides [sic] the point".
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 02:41:40 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
I have long defended President Bush because I always believed, and still do, that he is an innately good man, and a courageous one, too, and also for the simple reason that so few would defend him.

Nice guy, yes.  But good president?  Hardly.

No Child Left Behind... a terrible legacy left behind.
Campaign Finance Reform... fundamentally found unconstitutional by SCOTUS (thank goodness)
Medicare Prescription Drugs... popular with seniors, but bankrupting the country, and expanded fiscal problems exponentially
Patriot Act... worst case of federal overreach in domestic security in my lifetime.  The TSA legacy lingers still today.
Iraq War... total disaster. We spent $1 trillion to create a client state for Iran.
Deficits, deficits, deficits
Expanded the "ownership society" with federal guarantees of home mortgages, which de facto collapsed the financial system

I do think GWB had a good heart, but his policies were short-sighted and will be paid for by generations of Americans for still more years to come.  Clinton was a more conservative POTUS.  Now looking at the ballooning deficits predicted under Trump, I worry that GOP-controlled government will once again fail to rein in spending, even as the tax burden is lowered, which ultimately taxes people in a different way, albeit one that saves politicians from direct blame (inflation, stagnation, depression, etc.).

Offline skeeter

I have long defended President Bush because I always believed, and still do, that he is an innately good man, and a courageous one, too, and also for the simple reason that so few would defend him.

Nice guy, yes.  But good president?  Hardly.

No Child Left Behind... a terrible legacy left behind.
Campaign Finance Reform... fundamentally found unconstitutional by SCOTUS (thank goodness)
Medicare Prescription Drugs... popular with seniors, but bankrupting the country, and expanded fiscal problems exponentially
Patriot Act... worst case of federal overreach in domestic security in my lifetime.  The TSA legacy lingers still today.
Iraq War... total disaster. We spent $1 trillion to create a client state for Iran.
Deficits, deficits, deficits
Expanded the "ownership society" with federal guarantees of home mortgages, which de facto collapsed the financial system

I do think GWB had a good heart, but his policies were short-sighted and will be paid for by generations of Americans for still more years to come.  Clinton was a more conservative POTUS.  Now looking at the ballooning deficits predicted under Trump, I worry that GOP-controlled government will once again fail to rein in spending, even as the tax burden is lowered, which ultimately taxes people in a different way, albeit one that saves politicians from direct blame (inflation, stagnation, depression, etc.).

TARP.

Offline Frank Cannon

This woman is a delusional idiot. She probably is repressed and enjoys getting molested and short of raped going through Bush's TSA flying to Toledo.

Offline Night Hides Not

TARP.

Agreeing to Paulson's bank bailout, where Wall Street firms got $700 billion of free money, and Main Street got the bill.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline musiclady

About the article........

It's good to see that at least one person understands that his comments about bigotry were not about Trump, but about his core values and what America really is.

And she is right that it is 'cool' to hate George W. (I've never had the slightest interest in being either with the majority, or the "in" crowd.....)

I agree that he did a lot of things wrong, but hating him is irrational.

And as I said on another thread about his speech (which, again, was NOT about Trump), I thank God daily that Bush was President, and not algor on 9/11, and as a believer, I do NOT think that was an accident.

Now I shall don my flak jacket......
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

George W. Bush is owed many apologies, by pundits, and pols, and you, and me

This is exactly backwards. 

Offline endicom

The one we didn't get: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_TIPS

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
I should apologise for this? (The subject, not the book, which is imperative reading . . . )

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 08:04:16 pm by Sanguine »