Author Topic: Senate votes to raise revenue by drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge  (Read 1144 times)

Offline thackney

Senate votes to raise revenue by drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2017/10/19/senate-votes-to-raise-revenue-by-drilling-in-the-arctic-national-wildlife-refuge
 October 19, 2017

The Senate rejected an amendment Thursday that sought to block a key panel from raising revenue through drilling in Alaska’s Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, a move that could make it easier for future oil and gas drilling to take place there.

Sen. Maria Cantwell (Wash.), the top Democrat on the Energy and Natural Resources Committee, offered a budget amendment that would have removed instructions to the panel to raise an additional $1 billion through federal leasing. It failed 48 to 52 on a largely party-line vote, with only Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine) and Joe Manchin (W.Va.) breaking ranks. Collins voted in favor of Cantwell’s amendment, while Manchin opposed it.

The vote, which came before the Senate approved Republicans’ proposed budget, represented a victory for the GOP and a defeat for environmentalists. The Trump administration is quietly moving to spur energy exploration in the refuge for the first time in more than 30 years by considering whether to allow seismic testing there, but only Congress can determine whether oil and gas drilling can take place within its 19.6 million acres.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Collins is in no small part responsible for a terrible wing of the party.

She needs to be Bannoned.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Something that should have been done long ago!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
ISailed wrote:
"Collins is in no small part responsible for a terrible wing of the party.
She needs to be Bannoned."

I've mentioned this before:
Paul LePage, Maine's independent governor, is term-limited and has to vacate the office.
Could he be recruited to run against her?
I think he could beat her, either in the Republican primary to run "as a Republican", or perhaps just running as an independent...

Offline endicom

Right move, wrong reason. Cut the spending, dammit.

Offline DemolitionMan

They are only doing it because the Russians have started their own operation there.
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline thackney

They are only doing it because the Russians have started their own operation there.

You think the Russians are operating in ANWR?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Russians drilling in US territory?  Where is your proof?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington