Author Topic: Judge tosses $417M award against Johnson& Johnson  (Read 7194 times)

Offline DemolitionMan

Re: Judge tosses $417M award against Johnson& Johnson
« Reply #100 on: October 23, 2017, 03:47:11 am »
Are you sure he was there? Were you there to witness him being there?

I believe him over you.
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #101 on: October 23, 2017, 03:49:02 am »
I believe him over you.

One thing you never do. Never Question the franchise owner or you will lose your job. If he says the walls are white you betten not contradict him.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 03:49:48 am by DemolitionMan »
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #102 on: October 23, 2017, 03:49:48 am »
GT was correct about his conversation. He was there, you were not.

Where did I say he wasn't there. I didn't even say that the information he said about his conversation was wrong. I am saying that it is diametrically opposed to the actual lawsuit. I don't know if this is true of where you live, but we have public records that are accessible in the United States.

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #103 on: October 23, 2017, 03:50:25 am »
Where did I say he wasn't there. I didn't even say that the information he said about his conversation was wrong. I am saying that it is diametrically opposed to the actual lawsuit. I don't know if this is true of where you live, but we have public records that are accessible in the United States.

So we have someone who worked at that store.

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #104 on: October 23, 2017, 03:51:04 am »

Never Question the franchise owner or you will lose your job.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #105 on: October 23, 2017, 03:52:26 am »
Oh just bleep me.  I mean, come on!  It's bleep clear as day that we were not talking about ....  You know what, never mind.  You're right and I'm wrong.

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #106 on: October 23, 2017, 03:54:52 am »
Oh just bleep me.  I mean, come on!  It's bleep clear as day that we were not talking about ....  You know what, never mind.  You're right and I'm wrong.
Sorry I do not stoop to your level. I believe in his testimony that a conversation happened between him and the owner in regards to this situation.The owner clearly might have lied to him. I have been lied on numerous occasions by franchise owners.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 03:57:48 am by DemolitionMan »

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #107 on: October 23, 2017, 03:57:58 am »
Okay, don't bother to go look it up, rely on what some dumbass McD's owner told you.  He didn't even necessarily lie to you; he was just wrong.

I mean, it's not like there are multiple links to the real story of what happened in this very thread.

Come on, be curious!
Really, of course the man I worked for for over twenty years and built his business from one to twelve stores is a lying dumbass. Of course McDonald's refused to pay her medical bills, oh wait, from the time the injury was reported it was called into the insurance company which was notorious for paying out on even the most ridiculous claims. Of course every management employee in every Mcd's was lied to by some dumbass above them, even though all of were required to lower the brewing temperature and holding temperature of the coffee so that it became almost as crappy as Starbucks. Because of course it was so important to lie to thousands of employees that couldn't give a rats asp what was occurring in a lawsuit they would never have anything to do with. Bottom line, the customer ordered a cup of hot coffee, recieved a cup of hot coffee which was brewed and held at the industry standard temp, yet in this country personal responsibility mean nothing when you can get someone else to pay for your actions. I surmise that this will end with us responding back and forth in the same vein several times, so let's just pretend it did and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKxr2PJ06Y4

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #108 on: October 23, 2017, 03:59:21 am »
GtHawk

I will respect your decision unlike others

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #109 on: October 23, 2017, 07:27:45 pm »
Rea search the case a little bit and you might have a change of mind.
I looked into it again and I can tell you she will not be drinking grease.

You on the other hand appear to be someone who needs some real mental help.  What is wrong with you that you believe she needs to drink grease anyway?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

« Reply #110 on: October 23, 2017, 07:29:37 pm »
You compare her to drinking grease, not me.
You are an imbecile.  I NEVER said she would drink grease.  I said she should not handle hot liquids.

YOu need serious help in reading comprehension.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

« Reply #111 on: October 23, 2017, 07:35:15 pm »
Really, of course the man I worked for for over twenty years and built his business from one to twelve stores is a lying dumbass. Of course McDonald's refused to pay her medical bills, oh wait, from the time the injury was reported it was called into the insurance company which was notorious for paying out on even the most ridiculous claims. Of course every management employee in every Mcd's was lied to by some dumbass above them, even though all of were required to lower the brewing temperature and holding temperature of the coffee so that it became almost as crappy as Starbucks. Because of course it was so important to lie to thousands of employees that couldn't give a rats asp what was occurring in a lawsuit they would never have anything to do with. Bottom line, the customer ordered a cup of hot coffee, recieved a cup of hot coffee which was brewed and held at the industry standard temp, yet in this country personal responsibility mean nothing when you can get someone else to pay for your actions. I surmise that this will end with us responding back and forth in the same vein several times, so let's just pretend it did and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKxr2PJ06Y4
I agree with you.  Personal responsibility means something.  The only idiot on this thread that thinks otherwise is completely unhinged.

He/she/it thinks a googled photo is all the evidence one needs.

I have a brother-in-law who reprimanded a neighbor's kid who was throwing rocks at his mailbox, almost hitting his car.  The police came and handcuffed him. Why? Because the sorry parents of his neighbor's kid beat the kid to show whelps and showed that to the police.  That is what a photo is worth, nothing.  The idiot here is an idiot and is not worth the effort anymore to correct as he/she/it was not brought up with sane parents.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #112 on: October 23, 2017, 09:51:55 pm »
Judge tosses $417M award against Johnson& Johnson
LA Times, Oct 21, 2017, ROBERT JABLON/Associated Press

A judge on Friday tossed out a $417 million jury award to a woman who claimed she developed ovarian cancer by using Johnson & Johnson talc-based baby powder for feminine hygiene.

Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Maren Nelson granted the company's request for a new trial, saying there were errors and jury misconduct in the previous trial that ended with the award two months ago.

Nelson also ruled that there wasn't convincing evidence that Johnson & Johnson acted with malice and the award for damages was excessive.

The decision will be appealed even though Eva Echeverria has died, said her attorney, Mark Robinson Jr.

More: http://www.latimes.com/sns-bc-us--talcum-powder-cancer-lawsuit-20171021-story.html

What I've read on the talc powder furor leads me to believe that it's not the monster it's made out to be, HOWEVER, when it comes to Johnson and Johnson:

Risperdal Lawsuits Currently Underway In Pennsylvania

https://psychroaches.blogspot.com/2017/04/risperdal-lawsuits-currently-underway.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gynecomastia

And gynecomastia isn't even scratching the surface of JNJ and their GD Risperdal.

http://psychroachesadverseevent.blogspot.com/2009/03/risperdal-adverse-reactions.html
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Silver Pines

« Reply #113 on: October 23, 2017, 11:05:09 pm »
I agree with you.  Personal responsibility means something.  The only idiot on this thread that thinks otherwise is completely unhinged.

He/she/it thinks a googled photo is all the evidence one needs.

I have a brother-in-law who reprimanded a neighbor's kid who was throwing rocks at his mailbox, almost hitting his car.  The police came and handcuffed him. Why? Because the sorry parents of his neighbor's kid beat the kid to show whelps and showed that to the police.  That is what a photo is worth, nothing.  The idiot here is an idiot and is not worth the effort anymore to correct as he/she/it was not brought up with sane parents.

@IsailedawayfromFR

Why don't you chill with the namecalling? 

No one is talking about photos and not a soul on here dismisses personal responsibility.  What @RoosGirl said is that the facts of the case aren't what most think they are.  Guess what, she was right.  I wasn't familiar with them, either; I learned something.   Here you are:

https://www.ttla.com/index.cfm?pg=McDonaldsCoffeeCaseFacts

"....Despite these extensive injuries, she offered to settle with McDonald’s for $20,000. However, McDonald’s refused to settle. The jury awarded Liebeck $200,000 in compensatory damages -- reduced to $160,000 because the jury found her 20 percent at fault -- and $2.7 million in punitive damages for McDonald’s callous conduct. (To put this in perspective, McDonald's revenue from coffee sales alone is in excess of $1.3 million a day.) The trial judge reduced the punitive damages to $480,000. Subsequently, the parties entered a post-verdict settlement.

McDonald's admitted that it has known about the risk of serious burns from its scalding hot coffee for more than 10 years -- the risk was brought to its attention through numerous other claims and suits, to no avail;

From 1982 to 1992, McDonald's coffee burned more than 700 people, many receiving severe burns to the genital area, perineum, inner thighs, and buttocks;

Not only men and women, but also children and infants, have been burned by McDonald's scalding hot coffee, in some instances due to inadvertent spillage by McDonald's employees;

At least one woman had coffee dropped in her lap through the service window, causing third-degree burns to her inner thighs and other sensitive areas, which resulted in disability for years;

McDonald's admitted that it did not warn customers of the nature and extent of this risk and could offer no explanation as to why it did not;

McDonald's witnesses testified that it did not intend to turn down the heat -- As one witness put it: “No, there is no current plan to change the procedure that we're using in that regard right now;”

McDonald's admitted that its coffee is “not fit for consumption” when sold because it causes severe scalds if spilled or drunk;

Liebeck's treating physician testified that her injury was one of the worst scald burns he had ever seen."

« Reply #114 on: October 23, 2017, 11:10:19 pm »
@IsailedawayfromFR

No one is talking about photos and not a soul on here dismisses personal responsibility.  What @RoosGirl said is that the facts of the case aren't what most think they are.  Guess what, she was right.  I wasn't familiar with them, either; I learned something.   Here you are:

"....Despite these extensive injuries, she offered to settle with McDonald’s for $20,000. However, McDonald’s refused to settle. The jury awarded Liebeck $200,000 in compensatory damages -- reduced to $160,000 because the jury found her 20 percent at fault -- and $2.7 million in punitive damages for McDonald’s callous conduct. (To put this in perspective, McDonald's revenue from coffee sales alone is in excess of $1.3 million a day.) The trial judge reduced the punitive damages to $480,000. Subsequently, the parties entered a post-verdict settlement.

McDonald's admitted that it has known about the risk of serious burns from its scalding hot coffee for more than 10 years -- the risk was brought to its attention through numerous other claims and suits, to no avail;

From 1982 to 1992, McDonald's coffee burned more than 700 people, many receiving severe burns to the genital area, perineum, inner thighs, and buttocks;

Not only men and women, but also children and infants, have been burned by McDonald's scalding hot coffee, in some instances due to inadvertent spillage by McDonald's employees;

At least one woman had coffee dropped in her lap through the service window, causing third-degree burns to her inner thighs and other sensitive areas, which resulted in disability for years;

McDonald's admitted that it did not warn customers of the nature and extent of this risk and could offer no explanation as to why it did not;

McDonald's witnesses testified that it did not intend to turn down the heat -- As one witness put it: “No, there is no current plan to change the procedure that we're using in that regard right now;”

McDonald's admitted that its coffee is “not fit for consumption” when sold because it causes severe scalds if spilled or drunk;

Liebeck's treating physician testified that her injury was one of the worst scald burns he had ever seen."
Are you deaf dumb and blind?  I never said anything to roosgirl.  The idiot I referred to was goodwithagun(which I doubt) who labeled me slanderous for not accepting that a woman who gets coffee is not stupid for recognizing that coffee is indeed hot.

The idiot believes I said she was drinking grease instead. 

YOu really need to clean up your act with the namecalling.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #115 on: October 23, 2017, 11:11:33 pm »
@IsailedawayfromFR

Sigh!  If I come to your house and you give me a cup of coffee which I manage to spill on myself I am not going to say your coffee burned me!  I most likely would say I burned myself with the coffee.

Guess I'm just old fashioned!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Silver Pines

« Reply #116 on: October 23, 2017, 11:42:52 pm »
Are you deaf dumb and blind? I never said anything to roosgirl.  The idiot I referred to was goodwithagun(which I doubt) who labeled me slanderous for not accepting that a woman who gets coffee is not stupid for recognizing that coffee is indeed hot.

The idiot believes I said she was drinking grease instead. 

YOu really need to clean up your act with the namecalling.

@IsailedawayfromFR

So you're just drunk, then, I guess?

Check out that link I posted when you sober up.

Silver Pines

« Reply #117 on: October 23, 2017, 11:45:48 pm »
Sigh!  If I come to your house and you give me a cup of coffee which I manage to spill on myself I am not going to say your coffee burned me!  I most likely would say I burned myself with the coffee.

Guess I'm just old fashioned!

@Bigun, putting the coffee between her legs wasn't the best move to make.  But McD's coffee caused serious burns to others, including children, when employees accidentally spilled it on them.  The chain knew it was too hot, knew it could inflict injuries, and refused to do anything about it. 

If you're going to preach responsibility, preach it for McDonald's, too.

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #118 on: October 23, 2017, 11:53:39 pm »
Are you sure he was there? Were you there to witness him being there?

If the conversation happened it happened. I believe his veracity.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 11:56:40 pm by DemolitionMan »

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #119 on: October 24, 2017, 12:06:11 am »
If the conversation happened it happened. I believe his veracity.

Listen, I was tired of the whole conversation by that point and was being facetious.  No one is suggesting that the boss didn't say what he said.  The facts of the case are just different than what he apparently said.  Those facts are available through online research and I will believe those over some third-hand story told by someone here. 

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #120 on: October 24, 2017, 12:25:00 am »
Listen, I was tired of the whole conversation by that point and was being facetious.  No one is suggesting that the boss didn't say what he said.  The facts of the case are just different than what he apparently said.  Those facts are available through online research and I will believe those over some third-hand story told by someone here.

I believe him and what his boss told him about the case.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 12:26:07 am by DemolitionMan »

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #121 on: October 24, 2017, 12:26:01 am »

« Reply #122 on: October 24, 2017, 12:32:28 am »

@IsailedawayfromFR

So you're just drunk, then, I guess?

Check out that link I posted when you sober up.
You are likely the most classless person I have ever dialogued with on this thread.  You also have no clue as to what you are saying.

Silver Pines

« Reply #123 on: October 24, 2017, 02:36:09 am »
You are likely the most classless person I have ever dialogued with on this thread.

@IsailedawayfromFR

I don't care.

You're just like most loudmouths---you want to spew without being challenged, and when that happens, you whine.