Author Topic: Roy Moore failed to disclose $540,000 promissory note to IRS when he filed his Senate candidacy: Report  (Read 1337 times)

Offline kevindavis007

Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore is facing legal trouble after it was revealed he failed to disclose a $540,000 promissory note from his charity to the Internal Revenue Service when he filed his candidacy.

Now, the Campaign Legal Center is asking for an investigation into the Alabama Republican, according to a filed complaint obtained by the Washington Examiner.

According to the documents provided in the complaint, Moore reportedly worked part-time at the foundation which he founded. Between 2007 and 2012, he racked up a total of $540,000 in back pay compensation, which he failed to disclose on his amended Senate Financial Disclosure Report.

Excerpted by Mod2

Source: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/roy-moore-failed-to-disclose-540000-promissory-note-to-irs-when-he-filed-his-senate-candidacy-report/article/2638235
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 05:25:40 pm by Mod2 »
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
This may be a nothing story. Posted also on the forum.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,286966.0.html

National news.

Now Washington Post misfires in attack on Roy Moore? Accuses Senate candidate of failing to pay taxes ... on money he wasn't paid
« on: Today at 07:21:47 AM »

Offline kevindavis007

National news.

Why should I believe anything from Worldnutdaily?
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline skeeter

The WND story merely reflects what you posted from the Examiner.

They are charging Moore with not paying taxes on income promised but not yet received.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused

Attack the messenger if that is necessary. World Nut Daily is so 2008.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
The WND story merely reflects what you posted from the Examiner.

They are charging Moore with not paying taxes on income promised but not yet received.
Exactly. Pay 240K on money you haven't received? Who would/could do that? It would be like you paying taxes on next year's salary this year.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline kevindavis007

The IRS considers income received the moment that you are able to collect it without restrictions. This is not a capital gain situation as the agreement with the charity does not involve any security instruments. To be taxable, the income does not need to be deposited into your account, it simply needs to be made available to you without restriction. Based on the information in the story, that appears to be the case. If the information is true, Mr. Moore had constructive receipt and should be taxed on the income.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Sounds like the best way to nip all these accusations of Judge Moore's corruption in the bud is to simply elect Doug Jones in December.  Judge Moore problem solved.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Sounds like the best way to nip all these accusations of Judge Moore's corruption in the bud is to simply elect Doug Jones in December.  Judge Moore problem solved.

And THAT is exactly where the press is trying to drive this train!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Right_in_Virginia

And THAT is exactly where the press is trying to drive this train!

It doesn't seem to be working .... polls have Moore up by 11 points.  My big fear is Republicans will become complacent.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
It doesn't seem to be working .... polls have Moore up by 11 points.  My big fear is Republicans will become complacent.

The people of Alabama KNOW Roy Moore!  He is not an unknown to them in any shape, form, or fashion! But none of that is going to stop the MSM and the Swamp from trying to kill him!  Politically speaking of course.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
 I would die a happy man if we had 50 Roy Moore types and 50 Ted Cruz types in the US Senate.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Right_in_Virginia

The people of Alabama KNOW Roy Moore!  He is not an unknown to them in any shape, form, or fashion! But none of that is going to stop the MSM and the Swamp from trying to kill him!  Politically speaking of course.

The MSM swamp things do seem to be losing some of their power!   :thumbsup:

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

National news.

WND aside, this one is a bit of a stretch. The so-called promissory note is an estimate of income but if income isn't received, there would be no taxes due. In many positions, you are required to file an estimate quarterly then reconcile that when you receive payment.

IE, there is nothing to report. So they are faulting him for not reporting something that didn't exist.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
WND aside, this one is a bit of a stretch. The so-called promissory note is an estimate of income but if income isn't received, there would be no taxes due. In many positions, you are required to file an estimate quarterly then reconcile that when you receive payment.

IE, there is nothing to report. So they are faulting him for not reporting something that didn't exist.

As I've said already several times, it doesn't matter.  If they can't dig up something on him they will manufacture something.  And, in the end, they will STILL fail!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Oceander

Exactly. Pay 240K on money you haven't received? Who would/could do that? It would be like you paying taxes on next year's salary this year.

Partners in partnerships do it all the time.  As do accrual basis taxpayers. 
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 06:27:30 pm by Oceander »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Couldn't we have a definitive explanation, from a tax attorney or tax accountant?

I happen to be neither, but a promissory note (or equivalent) is only taxable when income is "realized."

Example #1: Real Estate Installment Sale. Only taxed when periodic installments are received.

Example #2: Promissory note for income payments, as in stock options only taxed when exercised.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln