Author Topic: Young South Koreans Just Rolled Their Eyes At Us About North Korea  (Read 590 times)

Offline DemolitionMan

Jihye Lee

SEOUL — Between North Korean threats to launch missiles toward Guam and President Donald Trump boasting the US is "locked and loaded" for a conflict, many Americans are on edge.

But in the South Korean capital of Seoul, which hears regular North Korean promises to turn it into a "sea of fire" and has lived under the threat of war with Pyongyang for decades, locals — especially younger Koreans — told BuzzFeed News this just isn't that big of a deal to them.

“North Korea? I don’t really think about it, and I don’t really care about it either,” said Lee Ye-won, 31, who works in the fashion industry in the posh neighborhood of Gangnam. “We know they’re just making a whole bunch of noise as they always do, and whenever we hear something new, my friends and I just shrug it off because we know they’re just begging for some more attention.”

Her friend, 26-year-old Kim Ji-su, said the whole thing was beyond annoying.

“I honestly have a knee-jerk eyeroll reaction whenever I go overseas for a business trip, because the first thing people think is that I live in a war zone. That couldn’t be further from the truth,” said Kim. “Without a doubt, there will not be a war here again, but I don’t know how I’m supposed to get people outside of Korea to understand me. They just don’t get it.”

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jihyelee/we-asked-young-south-koreans-about-north-korea-and-they?utm_term=.htm9kBQMB#.et37XbxEb
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline Suppressed

Re: Young South Koreans Just Rolled Their Eyes At Us About North Korea
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 07:49:19 am »
That's because we always buy them off.

What if the bribery/blackmail payments cease?  What if the Norks toss a potential nuke our way?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 07:50:26 am by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 07:57:57 am »
That's because we always buy them off.

What if the bribery/blackmail payments cease?  What if the Norks toss a potential nuke our way?

As soon they get a dose of war and carnage, they will change their tune
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 07:58:29 am by DemolitionMan »
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 11:32:26 am »
As soon they get a dose of war and carnage, they will change their tune

We will get the blame, of course.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 11:48:03 am »

Offline endicom

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 12:24:16 pm »
The young'uns grew up with this threat-of-the-month situation so I don't blame them for discounting the threats. But they're underestimating the threat.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 12:26:09 pm »
'Sitzkrieg', Korean style.

Offline kidd

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 01:43:04 pm »
“I honestly have a knee-jerk eyeroll reaction whenever I go overseas for a business trip, because the first thing people think is that I live in a war zone. That couldn’t be further from the truth,” said Kim. “Without a doubt, there will not be a war here again, but I don’t know how I’m supposed to get people outside of Korea to understand me. They just don’t get it.”
Just because he lives at ground zero, doesn't make Kim an expert. Technically, Korea is still a war zone that is under a long cease fire.