Author Topic: ALCS Game Five: Are the Yankees overstaying their welcome?  (Read 2998 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
ALCS Game Five: Are the Yankees overstaying their welcome?
« on: October 19, 2017, 07:14:37 pm »
By Yours Truly
http://throneberryfields.com/2017/10/19/are-the-yankees-overstaying-their-welcome/

This was not in the Astros’ plans. Weren’t their starting pitchers, fortified by Justin Verlander’s
arrival, supposed to keep these Yankees in check even when the American League Championship
Series moved to the south Bronx? Enough that even their rickety bullpen could keep the Baby
Bombers in their cribs?

They’re probably thinking now that it’s a bloody good thing they have a) the series home field
advantage, and b) Verlander to pitch Game Six back in Houston. They’re probably also hoping
Lance McCullers is willing to take the ball on somewhat short rest in a Game Seven if there is
a Game Seven.

Because even Verlander now doesn’t look like any kind of lock to elude the Yankees. And he
only pitched the postseason’s no-questions-asked masterwork in Game Two. The Baby Bombers’
bats came back to life in New York. The question of whether they fall back asleep in Houston
is yet to be answered, but nobody’s willing to bet against them just yet.

Forget that the Astros had a .634 winning percentage on the road this season. Even allowing
the Yankees as the American League’s best home team this season, the Astros played like
anything but one of the league’s top two road teams when they hit Yankee Stadium. The Yankees
now have to prove they’re better than their on-the-season .494 road percentage.

And they have at least one distinct advantage. They lead the ALCS 3-2 after what they did to
Dallas Keuchel Wednesday afternoon, shutting him and the Astros out, 5-0.

Keuchel smothered them with ten punchouts in seven four-hit, no-run Game One innings. The
Yankees probably figured they weren’t going to bludgeon him even on an off day for the stout
lefthander. So, in what seems like the new Yankee textbook’s Astros chapter, they simply pecked
away at him and scratched four runs off his hide.

They finally chased him in the fifth when Gary Sanchez and Didi Gregorius rapped back-to-back,
two-out RBI singles. Keuchel’s cause wasn’t helped when third baseman Alex Bregman threw
Chase Headley’s one-out single past first base, allowing Headley to second, from which he scored
on Sanchez’s hit after Aaron Judge walked on a full count.

Judge didn’t hit anything over the fence in Game Five but he didn’t have to, for a change. He
also whacked a Keuchel cutter for an RBI double with one out in the third. The Judge’s Chambers
in Yankee Stadium acted as though he’d hit a six-run homer, anyway.

Bank on it. Astros manager A.J. Hinch might well have lifted Keuchel at the first sign of trouble
in the fifth if he didn’t think his bullpen had suddenly taken arson lessons.

The Yankees’ pitchers have had no such issues since leaving Houston behind for the New York
leg. They got a virtuoso Game Three start out of CC Sabathia. They got better than they could
have asked for from Sonny Gray in Game Four. They got the same thing out of Masahiro Tanaka
in Game Five that they got from him in Game One—except that, this time, there was no pair
of RBI singles to spoil his fun.

And they got their bullpen bulls surrendering only three earned runs over Three through Five.
They even gave Aroldis Chapman a break in Game Five, letting Tommy Kahnle pitch the final
two innings to close out the shutout.

Nobody thought the Astros’ potent enough lineup would prove this futile all of a sudden, either.
”Can I not talk about the good pitching? Because that’s what it’s all about,” said Hinch after Game
Five. “It’s hard in this league when you run into good pitching, especially as precise as the
advance scouting gets in the postseason. These teams don’t get here by accident.”

Not that he’s all that worried going back to Houston. “For us,” he said, “we’re an explosive
offense that is one click away from having that 10-, 12-, 14- or 18-hit attack.”

Keep dreaming, the Yankees have to want to say, to the Astros and maybe to themselves,
too. Because the Yankees have the same kind of capability.

Yankee first baseman Greg Bird doesn’t mind talking about the pitching, especially his own.
“They kind of got overlooked those first few games because we lost, but they’ve pitched
great,” he said of the Yankee starters. ”If they give us a chance, we can do some damage.
They’re confident in us playing behind them, and we’re confident in them.”

They have reason to be. Ever since Francisco Lindor ruined them in Progressive Field with
the grand slam that followed Joe Girardi’s non-review call on Lonnie Chisenhall’s non-hit-by-
a-pitch, the Yankees’ starting pitchers have posted a 1.75 ERA and a 0.80 walks/hits per
inning pitched rate overall.

Tanaka’s virtuosity against Keuchel in Game Five put him into some distinguished company:
he became only the third Yankee pitcher to log two starts of seven or more shutout innings
in the same postseason. The other two? Whitey Ford and Roger Clemens.

If Luis Severino can’t prevail against Verlander in Game Six, the Yankees aren’t exactly ready
to reach for the whiskey. They’ll have Sabathia for Game Seven, likely against Charlie Morton,
though it's worth repeating the Astros may hope McCullers can step up on short rest for it.
And ever since remaking himself into a pitcher who leans heavily and often on newly-retooled
sliders and curve balls, Sabathia has been a tough proposition in ways even he never envisioned
in his younger, power pitching days.

This is slightly unfamiliar territory for this year’s Astros. They’re not used to going home behind.
They certainly didn’t think they’d go to New York with a 2-0 lead and get flattened like a street
rat on an IRT track three times in Yankee Stadium.

But Carlos Beltran, the veteran doing his second postseason tour of duty with the Astros, wasn’t
about to let his guys leave New York with their tails between their legs. He buttonholed his
mates in a very quiet postgame clubhouse and spoke up.

“Sometimes people get a tendency of getting down, and our job is to encourage everyone to turn
the page and move on and take the challenge,” he said of his pep talk. ”At the end of the day,
like it’s not a big deal. It’s not a big deal. Even though you would love to leave this place [leading]
3-2, now it’s our time to try to do the same thing the Yankees did to us here.”

Remember: These Astros also shook off regular-season injuries that kept Keuchel, McCullers,
and Carlos Correa. They also picked themselves and half a state up in the immediate aftermath
of an adversary named Harvey.

“We’ll be ready,” insisted catcher Brian McCann, himself a former Yankee. “This team, we’ve played
extremely well all season long, and nothing’s going to change. We’ll be ready for Game Six. We’ve
responded all year long.”

But so have the Yankees, who weren’t even supposed to be in the postseason at all, never mind
on the threshold of the World Series. Weren’t the Baby Bombers looking good, better, coming into
their own, but still a realistic year or year and a half away from just getting to the dance?

“They’re ready,” says third baseman Todd Frazier, one of the veteran pickups who helped make
things simpler for the new-ish kids on the Yankee block. “This is the spotlight for them, and I think
they’ve changed a lot of minds. And you’re seeing what they can do.”

The Astros hope they’ve seen enough of what these Yankees can do. They love their chances
behind Verlander in Game Six. But as Joaquin Andujar, the late pitcher/time bomb/flake once
observed, “In baseball, there’s just one word—you never know.”

Nobody needs to remind anyone that both these teams, in their own ways, are irrefutable
evidence. But these Astros—heading toward an absolute-must-win Game Six—would love to
tell these Yankees that they and their Baby Bombers have overstayed their welcome.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@Polly Ticks
@Machiavelli
@DCPatriot
@dfwgator
@Mom MD
@musiclady
@Cyber Liberty
@Slip18
@GrouchoTex
@Bigun
@flowers

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: ALCS Game Five: Are the Yankees overstaying their welcome?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 09:34:59 pm »
I'm pulling for the Astros.

The networks and MLB are rooting for a Dodgers/Yankees WS.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 06:28:21 pm »
I'm pulling for the Astros.

The networks and MLB are rooting for a Dodgers/Yankees WS.

:amen:

Astros are baffling me, though.
They went from one of the worst disciplined batting teams to one of the best in 2 years.
Had led the league in striking out, turned it around to lead the league in not striking out.
Now, back to one of the worst, it seems.
I hate to give the Yankees credit, but they have done their homework.
I have hope for tonight, which gives me a little hope for game 6 than for a game 7.
Should have won game 4, but the average bullpen isn't up to par.
It is a better bullpen than in the last 2 years, but that meant going from poor to average.

I hope I am dead wrong, and that we will be talking about an Astros/Dodgers series next week.

I actually wanted an Astros/Nationals series.
I thought they matched up really well.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 06:29:00 pm by GrouchoTex »

Offline skeeter

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 06:52:23 pm »
:amen:

Astros are baffling me, though.
They went from one of the worst disciplined batting teams to one of the best in 2 years.
Had led the league in striking out, turned it around to lead the league in not striking out.
Now, back to one of the worst, it seems.

Whatever they've done I wish SF would get some. Even during their World Series years the Giant's offense has been less than mediocre.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 07:00:34 pm »
Well the damned Yankees sure have overstayed their welcome as far as I'm concerned!   :smokin:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 08:13:29 pm »
I think the Astros force it to 7, win today but a game 7 could be rough for them.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 08:16:30 pm »
Well the damned Yankees sure have overstayed their welcome as far as I'm concerned!   :smokin:

This whole playoff thing has brought back my flaming hatred for the Yankees from my childhood.

NO one in the country likes them except their own fans.

C'MON ASTROS.......... finish them off, OK?????
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 09:05:18 pm »
I'm lighting a candle in front of my Baby Jesus - Infant of Prague statue.

ASTROS win in 7 games.

Ever since I'd watch the Saturday afternoon game in B&W...with one freaking camera high behind the catcher, I hated the Yankees.

Why?   Because they won every damned year and my favorite teams like....WHOEVER PLAYED AGAINST THEM..., Milwaukee Braves, Brookyn Dodger, Pittsburgh Pirates.

I loved Warren Spahn and Lew Burdette.   Junior Gilliam and Duke Snider.  But those damned Yank-me's     :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 03:33:00 am »
I'm lighting a candle in front of my Baby Jesus - Infant of Prague statue.

ASTROS win in 7 games.

Ever since I'd watch the Saturday afternoon game in B&W...with one freaking camera high behind the catcher, I hated the Yankees.

Why?   Because they won every damned year and my favorite teams like....WHOEVER PLAYED AGAINST THEM..., Milwaukee Braves, Brookyn Dodger, Pittsburgh Pirates.

I loved Warren Spahn and Lew Burdette.   Junior Gilliam and Duke Snider.  But those damned Yank-me's     :laugh:

Congratulations, Astros!

Now will you please beat the Los Angeles Dodgers for the same reason that DCPatriot so artfully described!
"It's fun; baseball's fun."  Yogi Berra

Offline musiclady

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2017, 02:26:17 pm »
THANK YOU, ASTROS!!!!!!!
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2017, 04:00:28 pm »
Now, I think I will go with the Astros to win the World Series.

There are plenty of articles out picking who will win.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2017, 04:01:56 pm »
I think these Yankees were well-behaved, nothing to feel bitter about them about and they defeated my favorite team plenty this year and in the past. Hating teams is more like what kids do though, it may still strike in adulthood and it's not necessarily bad to feel that way.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2017, 04:08:29 pm »
I think these Yankees were well-behaved, nothing to feel bitter about them about and they defeated my favorite team plenty this year and in the past. Hating teams is more like what kids do though, it may still strike in adulthood and it's not necessarily bad to feel that way.

Well, gee.   I'm glad you found a way to justify my behavior.     22222frying pan               :laugh:

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2017, 04:20:05 pm »
Please don't hate me. I'm sad the Yankees lost. But they lost to a good team.

But yes, I'm a die hard Yankees fan. My dad grew up with heroes as DiMaggio and Gehrig so it rubbed off on me. ⚾️

G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2017, 04:24:03 pm »

But yes, I'm a die hard Yankees fan. My dad grew up with heroes as DiMaggio and Gehrig so it rubbed off on me. ⚾️

I respect the Yankees.   Just don't root for them in the post-season, or in any pennant chase involving the Orioles.

There's a chance Joe Girardi might end up managing the NATIONALS.   Also, John Farrell has been released by the Red Sox.

Signing Girardi may be a side-door attempt to convince Bryce Harper to remain with the NATIONALS...as he's a positive influence on younger stars.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2017, 04:27:35 pm »
I respect the Yankees.   Just don't root for them in the post-season, or in any pennant chase involving the Orioles.

There's a chance Joe Girardi might end up managing the NATIONALS.   Also, John Farrell has been released by the Red Sox.

Signing Girardi may be a side-door attempt to convince Bryce Harper to remain with the NATIONALS...as he's a positive influence on younger stars.

I'd wager Cora will be managing either the Sox or the Nationals next year. 

He's a little distracted right now though. :beer:
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2017, 04:28:23 pm »

When I was a little girl I thought it was the Baltimore Oreos. :)
(I like cookies)
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2017, 04:30:40 pm »
When I was a little girl I thought it was the Baltimore Oreos. :)
(I like cookies)

:laugh:    :beer:

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2017, 04:33:21 pm »
Now, I think I will go with the Astros to win the World Series.

There are plenty of articles out picking who will win.

@DCPatriot

Please, please, please do not predict the outcome.  For some reason it is "bad luck" for the Astros.

On October 12, 2015, Texas Governor Greg Albbott prematurely congratulated the Astros on their win to the Royals in their ALDS win.

The Royals came back and beat them in the 8th and 9th inning! Bad joojoo!

Re the Dodgers:  They have Puig on their team.  Their manager was going to bench him this year for his problem with his mouth.  Even third baseman, Turner, doesn't like to sit near him in the dugout.  I believe the accurate quote from Turner, and someone correct me if I am wrong, was "I don't want to sit next to him in the dugout because I am afraid he will lick me."

Puig is one of the reasons all teams in the Western Division actually are very friendly with the exception of the Dodgers.

So, Astros, beat the Dodgers, okay?  Pretty please?

*please*

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2017, 04:35:19 pm »
I'd wager Cora will be managing either the Sox or the Nationals next year. 

He's a little distracted right now though. :beer:

The "Ace of Trump" the NATIONALS hold?   All the Scott Boras' signed stars.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2017, 04:39:31 pm »
The Yankees have just been so dominant overall in baseball;

27 World Series wins, next are the Cardinals with 11.

That's why folks don't like teams generally speaking. Because they win a lot. They often pull for the underdog.

It's tough.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_Series_champions

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2017, 04:41:17 pm »

@DCPatriot

Totally understandable, Freya!  I still collect stuff from the old timers.  They were a great and oh, so interesting team.  But what DCPatriot is saying, I think, is that no one else gets a chance because of their huge budget!  It is time for another very good team to get in there and win!

Not putting words in your mouth, I hope, DCPatriot.  You can give me a pinch in the arm if I am.  LOL!

Go Astros!

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2017, 04:41:50 pm »
@DCPatriot

Please, please, please do not predict the outcome.  For some reason it is "bad luck" for the Astros.

On October 12, 2015, Texas Governor Greg Albbott prematurely congratulated the Astros on their win to the Royals in their ALDS win.

Re the Dodgers:  They have Puig on their team.  Their manager was going to bench him this year for his problem with his mouth.  Even third baseman, Turner, doesn't like to sit near him in the dugout.  I believe the accurate quote from Turner, and someone correct me if I am wrong, was "I don't want to sit next to him in the dugout because I am afraid he will lick me."

Puig is one of the reasons all teams in the Western Division actually are very friendly with the exception of the Dodgers.

*please*

LOL!   I predicted the 'STROS in 7 vs. the Yankees.

My problem is that I'm a 'Dugout Boy'...versus a Stathead Geek.

We believe in chemistry.  We believe a lineup can murmur like a flock of starlings.    It's catchy...like like flu.   

But great pitching will stop that COLD in a short series.   Virtually everytime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eakKfY5aHmY

Offline TomSea

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2017, 04:43:49 pm »
@DCPatriot

*please*

Talk to the moderators or forum-owner concerning this issue.

Everyone picks the Superbowl, the Stanley Cup, the college championships, basketball and football, any sport, you name it; but all of a sudden, we are to not pick baseball?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 04:45:56 pm by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2017, 04:45:08 pm »
It's pretty even, it could (obviously) go either way, I think it's close to a tossup; sometimes Series go in drastically different directions than predicted.