Author Topic: American Nuclear Weapons in Space  (Read 393 times)

Offline DemolitionMan

American Nuclear Weapons in Space
« on: October 19, 2017, 05:58:40 am »
Air Force Magazine

In the 1950s and early 1960s, the Air Force pushed to be the space force for America. As part of that drive, the service proposed building a reusable spaceplane, the X-20 DynaSoar.

The X-20 was conceived as an operational system to conduct space missions of reconnaissance, satellite inspection and repair, orbital resupply, and bombardment.

The third version was to use a Titan IIIC rocket booster and have an orbital capability. This variant would contain a bomb bay for delivering nuclear warheads requiring precise targeting and would offer the ability to approach a target from any direction.

Eventually deciding against placing nuclear weapons in space, the Defense Department canceled the first test version of the X-20—less than a year before testing was to have begun in 1964.

US officials preferred smaller, more accurate warheads, unlike their Soviet counterparts, who had a “bigger is better” philosophy. For US leaders, the prospect of a gigantic nuclear weapon coming down accidentally was highly worrisome.

That, plus America’s ability to rely on a large, highly versatile fleet of manned bombers, kept the United States from seriously pursuing an orbital nuclear weapon.

http://www.airforcemag.com/MagazineArchive/Pages/2005/June%202005/0605FOBs.aspx
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 06:05:44 am by DemolitionMan »
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline DemolitionMan

Re: American Nuclear Weapons in Space
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 06:10:20 am »
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome