Author Topic: Just Remember North Korea Can Destroy Low Earth Orbit For Everyone On A Whim  (Read 897 times)

Offline DemolitionMan

Low earth orbit (LEO), which is a band of space measuring from roughly 100 miles to 1,200 miles above the earth, has become one part packed parking lot and one part junkyard within just 60 years of mankind having access to space. Everything from communications satellites to spy satellites to the International Space Station call low earth orbit home. Simply put, the vast majority of all satellites are stationed there and many of them are critical to our very way of life. This makes the reality that North Korea could destroy accessibility to this vital medium without warning very disturbing.The amount of debris in LEO is already a major problem. Just a tiny piece of space junk traveling at thousands of miles per hour can cause catastrophic damage to operational satellites and even the International Space Station. With over 500,000 trackable pieces of space junk (generally larger than a marble in size) and millions of smaller ones whizzing around the planet, the problem has become a major one, but it could get much, much worse.

Case in point, an anti-satellite weapons test executed by China in 2007 that used a defunct Chinese weather satellite as a target. The satellite was stationed in a polar orbit at 537 miles altitude. A kinetic kill vehicle launched by a modified DF-21 medium-range ballistic missile smashed into the satellite at a combined closure rate of five miles a second. Over 3,500 pieces of trackable space debris were caused by the test—the biggest single release of orbital space debris in history. It is estimated that over 150,000 smaller particles were also released after the kill vehicle shattered the satellite, many of which will remain in orbit for centuries to come.The test was a major wakeup call on multiple tactical, strategic, and geopolitical levels, and made the growing issue of space junk a much more familiar topic in the public's consciousness. With America's military might ever more reliant on space-based capabilities, anti-satellite weaponry has since become a shadowy and fast-moving weapons development space.

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/15270/just-remember-north-korea-can-destroy-low-earth-orbit-for-everyone-on-a-whim
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline DemolitionMan

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPXCk85wMSQ

Almost 20,000 pieces of space debris are currently orbiting the Earth. This visualisation, created by Dr Stuart Grey, lecturer at University College London and part of the Space Geodesy and Navigation Laboratory, shows how the amount of space debris increased from 1957 to 2015, using data on the precise location of each piece of junk
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline stephen50right

First I've heard of this. Good post - Thanks!

Another reason why Fatboy needs to be gone.

The US, China, South Korea, and Japan need to put together a concerted effort to eliminate Fatboy and his regime. Time is running short.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 01:16:25 am by stephen50right »

Offline DemolitionMan

First I've heard of this. Good post - Thanks!

Another reason why Fatboy needs to be gone.

The US, China, South Korea, and Japan need to put together a concerted effort to eliminate Fatboy and his regime. Time is running short.

Space Junk is a very extreme problem .Most of the is created by rocket failures to lost bolts from previous spaceflights. The ISS is routinely hit with space junk. However, in the wrong hands this can be a very serious problem and affect our National Security.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 01:20:32 am by DemolitionMan »

Offline stephen50right

Space Junk is a very extreme problem .Most of the is created by rocket failures to lost bolts from previous spaceflights. The ISS is routinely hit with space junk. However, in the wrong hands this can be a very serious problem and affect our National Security.

And it's nothing new. When I posted "First I've heard of this" i meant first I heard of it as Fatboy or anyone using it as a weapon of sorts.

I visited the famous Franklin Institute with friends and family back in the 1990's. And on that particular day the planetarium presentation happened to be called "Space Junk" and the problem was appropriately illustrated. When I first heard the name of the presentation, I recall thinking what a bore this is going to be, I had already been to the planetarium several times before so it was nothing new...but they managed to make the subject quite interesting.

Now that there is war strategy involved, space junk now becomes even more interesting...sad to say.

Offline DemolitionMan

And it's nothing new. When I posted "First I've heard of this" i meant first I heard of it as Fatboy or anyone using it as a weapon of sorts.

I visited the famous Franklin Institute with friends and family back in the 1990's. And on that particular day the planetarium presentation happened to be called "Space Junk" and the problem was appropriately illustrated. When I first heard the name of the presentation, I recall thinking what a bore this is going to be, I had already been to the planetarium several times before so it was nothing new...but they managed to make the subject quite interesting.

Now that there is war strategy involved, space junk now becomes even more interesting...sad to say.

No. Only major powers like Russia, China and possibly the United States have this capability. The USA has developed lasers but to what extent I do not know. That would be classified material if they have developed a system,
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 05:42:53 am by DemolitionMan »

Offline DemolitionMan

No. Only major powers like Russia, China and possibly the United States have this capability. The USA has developed lasers but to what extent I do not know. That would be classified material if they have developed a system,

The United States developed a Airborne Laser System(YAL) to knock out warheads but that was axed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_YAL-1
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 05:45:32 am by DemolitionMan »

Offline thackney

The United States developed a Airborne Laser System(YAL) to knock out warheads but that was axed.

Return Of The ABL? Missile Defense Agency Works On Laser Drone
https://breakingdefense.com/2015/08/return-of-the-abl-missile-defense-agency-works-on-laser-drone/
 August 17, 2015

...MDA will conduct experiments and review alternatives until 2018-2019, when Syring said it will pick “which technologies we think have the most promise.” Then a “low-power laser demonstrator” will fly circa 2021. When the full-power system will enter service is an open question, not answered in Syring’s brief....

- - - - - -

The Military Will Try to Make a Missile-Destroying Laser Drone
http://www.popularmechanics.com/military/weapons/a26948/the-military-wants-a-flying-anti-missile-laser-again/
Jun 15, 2017

...Two big things: the rise of solid state lasers, and drones. While the COIL laser needed a 747 to store the chemicals and electronics involved in generating a one-megawatt laser beam, new solid state lasers are much smaller. The weight goal of General Atomics' 150 kilowatt HELLADS laser weapon, currently under development, is approximately 1,650 pounds. Scale that upward to a 1 megawatt laser and you have a weight requirement of 11,550 pounds, which is right in the Missile Defense Agency's drone payload requirement.

Pilotless drones have other advantages. They are cheaper to fly and can remain in flight for much longer periods of time than manned aircraft. In fact, the MDA wants the new laser drone to be capable of loitering for up to 36 hours at altitudes greater than 63,000 feet....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline DemolitionMan

Return Of The ABL? Missile Defense Agency Works On Laser Drone
https://breakingdefense.com/2015/08/return-of-the-abl-missile-defense-agency-works-on-laser-drone/
 August 17, 2015

...MDA will conduct experiments and review alternatives until 2018-2019, when Syring said it will pick “which technologies we think have the most promise.” Then a “low-power laser demonstrator” will fly circa 2021. When the full-power system will enter service is an open question, not answered in Syring’s brief....

- - - - - -

The Military Will Try to Make a Missile-Destroying Laser Drone
http://www.popularmechanics.com/military/weapons/a26948/the-military-wants-a-flying-anti-missile-laser-again/
Jun 15, 2017

...Two big things: the rise of solid state lasers, and drones. While the COIL laser needed a 747 to store the chemicals and electronics involved in generating a one-megawatt laser beam, new solid state lasers are much smaller. The weight goal of General Atomics' 150 kilowatt HELLADS laser weapon, currently under development, is approximately 1,650 pounds. Scale that upward to a 1 megawatt laser and you have a weight requirement of 11,550 pounds, which is right in the Missile Defense Agency's drone payload requirement.

Pilotless drones have other advantages. They are cheaper to fly and can remain in flight for much longer periods of time than manned aircraft. In fact, the MDA wants the new laser drone to be capable of loitering for up to 36 hours at altitudes greater than 63,000 feet....

Thank you for updating me on that but Aug. 30, 2009 Boeing and the U.S. Air Force "defeated" a ground target from the air with the Advanced Tactical Laser (ATL) aircraft

Cancellation[edit]

In storage with engines removed. Ultimately broken up on 25 September 2014.
Secretary of Defense Gates summarized fundamental concerns with the practicality of the program concept:

"I don't know anybody at the Department of Defense, Mr. Tiahrt, who thinks that this program should, or would, ever be operationally deployed. The reality is that you would need a laser something like 20 to 30 times more powerful than the chemical laser in the plane right now to be able to get any distance from the launch site to fire....So, right now the ABL would have to orbit inside the borders of Iran in order to be able to try and use its laser to shoot down that missile in the boost phase. And if you were to operationalize this you would be looking at 10 to 20 747s, at a billion and a half dollars apiece, and $100 million a year to operate. And there's nobody in uniform that I know who believes that this is a workable concept."[19]

The Air Force did not request further funds for the Airborne Laser for 2010; Air Force Chief of Staff Schwartz has said that the system "does not reflect something that is operationally viable".[20][21]

In December 2011, it was reported that the project was to be ended after 16 years of development and a cost of over US$5 billion.[22] While in its current form, a relatively low power laser mounted on an unprotected airliner may not be a practical or defensible weapon, the YAL-1 testbed is considered to have proven that air mounted energy weapons with increased range and power could be another viable way of destroying otherwise very difficult to intercept sub-orbital ballistic missiles and rockets. On 12 February 2012, the YAL-1 flew its final flight and landed at Davis-Monthan AFB, Arizona, where it was placed in storage at the AMARG until it was ultimately scrapped in September 2014 after all usable parts were removed.[23][24]

As of 2013, studies were underway to apply the lessons of the YAL-1 by mounting laser anti-missile defenses on unmanned combat aerial vehicles that could fly above the altitude limits of the converted jetliner.[25]

By 2015, the Missile Defense Agency had started efforts to deploy a laser on a high-altitude UAV. Rather than a manned jetliner containing chemical fuels flying at 40,000 feet (12 km), firing a megawatt laser from a range of "tens of kilometers" at a boost-phase missile, the new concept envisioned an unmanned aircraft carrying an electric laser flying at 65,000 feet (20 km), firing the same power level at targets potentially up to "hundreds of kilometers" away for survivability against air defenses. While the ABL's laser required 55 kg (121 lb) to generate one kW, the MDA wanted to reduce that to 2–5 kg (4.4–11.0 lb) per kW, totaling 5,000 lb (2,300 kg) for a megawatt. Unlike the ABL, which required its crew to rest and chemical fuel to be reloaded, an electric laser would need only power generating from fuel to fire, so a UAV with in-flight refueling could have near-inexhaustible endurance and armament. A "low-power demonstrator" has been planned to fly sometime in or around 2021.[26]

« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 04:32:18 am by DemolitionMan »

Offline Frank Cannon

Thank you for updating me on that but Aug. 30, 2009 Boeing and the U.S. Air Force "defeated" a ground target from the air with the Advanced Tactical Laser (ATL) aircraft

Cancellation[edit]

In storage with engines removed. Ultimately broken up on 25 September 2014.
Secretary of Defense Gates summarized fundamental concerns with the practicality of the program concept:

"I don't know anybody at the Department of Defense, Mr. Tiahrt, who thinks that this program should, or would, ever be operationally deployed. The reality is that you would need a laser something like 20 to 30 times more powerful than the chemical laser in the plane right now to be able to get any distance from the launch site to fire....So, right now the ABL would have to orbit inside the borders of Iran in order to be able to try and use its laser to shoot down that missile in the boost phase. And if you were to operationalize this you would be looking at 10 to 20 747s, at a billion and a half dollars apiece, and $100 million a year to operate. And there's nobody in uniform that I know who believes that this is a workable concept."[19]

The Air Force did not request further funds for the Airborne Laser for 2010; Air Force Chief of Staff Schwartz has said that the system "does not reflect something that is operationally viable".[20][21]

In December 2011, it was reported that the project was to be ended after 16 years of development and a cost of over US$5 billion.[22] While in its current form, a relatively low power laser mounted on an unprotected airliner may not be a practical or defensible weapon, the YAL-1 testbed is considered to have proven that air mounted energy weapons with increased range and power could be another viable way of destroying otherwise very difficult to intercept sub-orbital ballistic missiles and rockets. On 12 February 2012, the YAL-1 flew its final flight and landed at Davis-Monthan AFB, Arizona, where it was placed in storage at the AMARG until it was ultimately scrapped in September 2014 after all usable parts were removed.[23][24]

As of 2013, studies were underway to apply the lessons of the YAL-1 by mounting laser anti-missile defenses on unmanned combat aerial vehicles that could fly above the altitude limits of the converted jetliner.[25]

By 2015, the Missile Defense Agency had started efforts to deploy a laser on a high-altitude UAV. Rather than a manned jetliner containing chemical fuels flying at 40,000 feet (12 km), firing a megawatt laser from a range of "tens of kilometers" at a boost-phase missile, the new concept envisioned an unmanned aircraft carrying an electric laser flying at 65,000 feet (20 km), firing the same power level at targets potentially up to "hundreds of kilometers" away for survivability against air defenses. While the ABL's laser required 55 kg (121 lb) to generate one kW, the MDA wanted to reduce that to 2–5 kg (4.4–11.0 lb) per kW, totaling 5,000 lb (2,300 kg) for a megawatt. Unlike the ABL, which required its crew to rest and chemical fuel to be reloaded, an electric laser would need only power generating from fuel to fire, so a UAV with in-flight refueling could have near-inexhaustible endurance and armament. A "low-power demonstrator" has been planned to fly sometime in or around 2021.[26]

How are the English lessons going? Little concerned about your progress with this post.

Offline DemolitionMan

How are the English lessons going? Little concerned about your progress with this post.

How is it like being a Grammar Nazi,jerk and a bully?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 04:55:46 am by DemolitionMan »

Offline Frank Cannon

How is it like being a Grammar Nazi,jerk and a bully?

Я не знаю, о чем вы говорите.