Author Topic: 'Anne Frank' costume sparks controversy  (Read 534 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
'Anne Frank' costume sparks controversy
« on: October 17, 2017, 09:40:17 pm »
'Anne Frank' costume sparks controversy

Online retailers are removing a children's costume from websites after facing a backlash over its portrayal of teenage Holocaust victim Anne Frank.

Several sites have ceased selling the outfit, while others continue to market it as a "World War Two evacuee girl".

The costume - a green beret, blue dress and brown satchel - has been criticised on social media for being insensitive.

Continued at: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41651066

Following the hyperlink to the BBC page I come to this at Right Wing Watch twitter:

I kind of agree with the person that says:
"At first I thought I was offended but after thinking about it, Anne Frank was an incredibly brave girl. Maybe this helps spread her story."

That's the way I see Ann Frank, as a hero.

But if one goes on to read the BBC story,  some stores are now selling this as European Evacuee girl. With the beret, it appears a bit like the French Resistance.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 09:40:56 pm by TomSea »

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: 'Anne Frank' costume sparks controversy
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 09:42:48 pm »
BBC being BBC. Eff em and any "news" they think is important. Eff the British and the EU while I'm at it.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 09:54:30 pm »
Come on! Would anyone have an issue it if, say a school had a dress as your favorite heroine day, or a historical female figure you admire? I hardly think so. I'm just happy that the young girls that would wear this know who Anne was. In this day and age of dumbed down education, that is a positive.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 09:54:50 pm by NavyCanDo »
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 10:33:12 pm »

I read that book twice, first as a teen. And I visited their home in Amsterdam while on a business trip.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 10:42:02 pm »
I read that book twice, first as a teen. And I visited their home in Amsterdam while on a business trip.

I bet you haven't read the unabridged version, though.  She explicitly describes her genitalia, etc.   

The version originally published for decades had a lot cut out, plus fictionalized parts were added by a professional writer hired by her father.

The Definitive Edition is now available for free online: https://archive.org/details/AnneFrankTheDiaryOfAYoungGirl_201606
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 11:33:56 pm »

Without the title, nobody on Earth would look at that outfit and say, 'Oh my! That looks just like Anne Frank.'

The Anne Frank thing was just slapped on for marketing. It has nothing to do with the costume. If the costume had an embroidered yellow star on it, it would still be off but it would be at least a little closer.

I don't really get the 'costume' value of it anyway. You can see little girls going to school dressed like this every day in many parts of Europe and Scandinavia. There is nothing really distinctive about it that I can see.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline berdie

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 12:49:32 am »
I bet you haven't read the unabridged version, though.  She explicitly describes her genitalia, etc.   

The version originally published for decades had a lot cut out, plus fictionalized parts were added by a professional writer hired by her father.

The Definitive Edition is now available for free online: https://archive.org/details/AnneFrankTheDiaryOfAYoungGirl_201606

I really don't care about the unabridged version. I'm sure as a young girl...she was writing to herself..not the world. But it seems like it made a difference.

The AF costume I don't get and I'll be surprised if most young people do.