Author Topic: Rock photographer tells the stories behind music’s most iconic pictures..many photos  (Read 675 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
EXCLUSIVE: How George Harrison babysat Bob Dylan, Tommy Lee nearly froze on a glacier, Sinatra grabbed Dean Martin’s butt and Stevie Nicks almost fell off a roof: Rock photographer tells the stories behind music’s most iconic pictures

Renowned photographer Neal Preston’s new book, Exhilarated and Exhausted, documents his lifelong career taking pictures of rock stars on and off stage
    ‘I’ve been beyond blessed,’ Preston, 65, told DailyMail.com in an exclusive interview. ‘I had the opportunity to do what I love'
    His work space is  lined with filing cabinets containing at least a million photos he has taken - the first of his 122 cabinets is marked Abba-Aerosmith, the last is Young — as in Neil — to ZZ Top
    And he has photographed just about everyone in between — one exception being John Lennon
    'Gregg [Allman] was unlike anyone I’d ever met. He exuded an ethereal magnetism so strong it cut through the druggy haze that always seemed to envelop him.’
    He snapped Rod Stewart getting make-up for an appearance in drag. 'I told him he looked like an older Miss Moneypenny,' said Preston
    He tells how he shot ex-lovers Bob Dylan  and Joan Baez  - 'she is the only person who could get away with tousling Dylan’s hair' and how Kiss lead guitarist Ace Frehley was so drugged up he could hardly walk

By Martin Gould In Burbank, California For Dailymail.com

Published: 14:18 EDT, 17 October 2017 | Updated: 15:07 EDT, 17 October 2017

It’s one of the iconic photographs in the history of rock ‘n’ roll. The four members of the band Kiss, in full make-up, making snowballs as they sit in the white stuff with a cheesy Christmas scene behind them.

But like so much in showbiz, all is not as it seems. For a start it was taken in October in Los Angeles, so the snow isn’t real. Instead it was plastic polyurethane, a toxic compound that it is no longer made.

And while Gene Simmons, Peter Criss and Paul Stanley were happily mugging for the camera, the fourth band member, lead guitarist Ace Frehley, was so drugged up he could hardly walk.

Photographer Neal Preston knew he had to move fast or Frehley would be lost to the shoot, but as he went to grab a lens, he heard a thud. He rushed back only to find ‘Space Ace’ face down in the poisonous material, which was slowly turning red as he coughed up blood.

more
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4985704/Snapper-tells-secrets-pics-Nicks-Petty-Rose.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Millee

This looks really interesting.  Thanks for posting!

Online mountaineer

Frehley is the cousin of a straight-as-an-arrow friend of mine. What a terrible way to go that would have been, with lungs full of polyurethane!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Beautiful pic of Stevie Nicks.  At 19, I thought she was about the perfect woman.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.