Author Topic: This week: Senate aims to kick off tax reform  (Read 613 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
This week: Senate aims to kick off tax reform
« on: October 16, 2017, 02:18:01 pm »
This week: Senate aims to kick off tax reform
By Jordain Carney - 10/16/17 06:02 AM EDT

Senate Republicans hope to get the ball rolling this week on tax reform, a key priority after their efforts to repeal ObamaCare collapsed earlier this year.

GOP lawmakers are expected to vote on the fiscal year 2018 budget, which paves the way for Republicans to pass tax reform by a simple majority and avoid a Democratic filibuster.

The resolution, which passed the Budget Committee along party lines earlier this month, will allow the tax plan to add up to $1.5 trillion to the deficit over a decade.

more
http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/scheduling/355411-this-week-senate-aims-to-kick-off-tax-reform
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline RetBobbyMI

Re: This week: Senate aims to kick off tax reform
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 02:22:42 pm »
First off, any plan to ADD significantly to the debt is a bad idea. Wrong move!

Secondly, with 100 Senators and with all of the committees and subcommittees they have, why can’t they do more than one thing at a time? Ineptitude is one answer.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Online Hoodat

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 02:45:03 pm »
First off, any plan to ADD significantly to the debt is a bad idea. Wrong move!

The only thing that adds to the debt is more spending.  I don't believe the tax bill addresses spending at all.

My only opposition to the tax proposal is the 0% bracket.   Eliminate the 0% bracket, and I will be on board.  Everyone earning income should be held accountable.  Everyone.

And while you're at it, get rid of all tax credits that exceed the amount of taxes due.  The IRS should never be in the income redistribution business.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 04:56:02 am »
The only thing that adds to the debt is more spending.  I don't believe the tax bill addresses spending at all.

My only opposition to the tax proposal is the 0% bracket.   Eliminate the 0% bracket, and I will be on board.  Everyone earning income should be held accountable.  Everyone.

And while you're at it, get rid of all tax credits that exceed the amount of taxes due.  The IRS should never be in the income redistribution business.
I just responded to the last paragraph “The resolution, which passed the Budget Committee along party lines earlier this month, will allow the tax plan to add up to $1.5 trillion to the deficit over a decade.”

Agree with your other comments though.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy