Author Topic: Nearly half of Republicans would support preemptive strike on North Korea  (Read 1573 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Nearly half of Republicans would support preemptive strike on North Korea
by Josh Siegel | Oct 15, 2017, 1:20 PM

Almost half of Republicans would support a pre-emptive military strike on North Korea after President Trump's saber-rattling toward the hermit kingdom.

The Quinnipiac University Poll, released Thursday, showed 46 percent of Republicans favor striking North Korea before it strikes the U.S.

The feeling amongst nearly half of Republicans jibes with President Trump's aggressive rhetoric towards Pyongyang is it repeatedly conducts missile and nuclear tests.

Trump in August promised he would impose "fire and fury" on North Korea. Last month, he threatened in his speech at the United Nations to "totally destroy" the country.

more
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/nearly-half-of-republicans-would-support-preemptive-strike-on-north-korea/article/2637582
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
From the article:
"The Quinnipiac University Poll, released Thursday, showed 46 percent of Republicans favor striking North Korea before it strikes the U.S." (emphasis added)

Frankly, I'm shocked that MORE people, and not just Republicans, do not agree with this statement -- in its entirety.

Do we just sit and wait for them to hit us?
Or....?

The major issue is China.
How to handle them?

Offline KingsX

• Be yourself. No one can say you're doing it wrong.

The headline should read:  "nearly half of ARM CHAIR WARRIORS who will be DRAFTED"

Online roamer_1

From the article:
"The Quinnipiac University Poll, released Thursday, showed 46 percent of Republicans favor striking North Korea before it strikes the U.S." (emphasis added)

Frankly, I'm shocked that MORE people, and not just Republicans, do not agree with this statement -- in its entirety.

Or....?

How to handle them?

I certainly wouldn't support it.
Looks more like work for the spooks to me.

Offline Frank Cannon

The headline should read:  "nearly half of ARM CHAIR WARRIORS who will be DRAFTED"

I suggest that you alert someone at your nursing home to get you a current newspaper. Look at the date. It may be frightening, but look at it. It does not read October 16, 1972. It reads October 16, 2017.

Offline KingsX

I suggest that you alert someone at your nursing home to get you a current newspaper. Look at the date. It may be frightening, but look at it. It does not read October 16, 1972. It reads October 16, 2017.

I suggest someone alert you to the fact that the government can reinstate the draft at any time... maybe the next war... and this time women would be drafted. 

There has been recent discussion about this in various military news sources.  So you are the one who needs to keep up with the times.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/2017/07/25/bringing-back-the-draft/

https://www.navytimes.com/news/2017/08/03/tell-us-what-you-think-should-the-us-reinstate-a-draft/

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat

I suggest someone alert you to the fact that the government can reinstate the draft at any time... maybe the next war... and this time women would be drafted. 

There has been recent discussion about this in various military news sources.  So you are the one who needs to keep up with the times.

https://www.navytimes.com/news/2017/08/03/tell-us-what-you-think-should-the-us-reinstate-a-draft/

I know you are right. Israel has been placing women it's army for eons. (Example)

On the other hand, of the daughter of a veteran,  I would go gladly if I had time to get my affairs in order, but I think I'm too old, even for a desk job. I believe  thirty nine is the cut off date.

I wish there was volunteer things to do at home for those of us over 40 who would like to help/serve the country. If anyone knows of such things let me know. I've got all the time in the world after Election Day
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 09:54:50 am by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat

@KingsX - I just saw this article. It's just a FYI, but it's interesting.

http://gazette.com/too-fat-to-fight-colorado-nonprofit-says-military-threatened-by-childhood-obesity/article/1613250

I was going to post it as a separate thread but decided against it.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 11:31:23 am by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline libertybele

From the article:

Or....?

How to handle them?

Another major player is Russia.  How do we handle them?  In the long run is the threat from China and/or Russia greater than the threat from N. Korea?
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Mesaclone

This kind of survey is essentially meaningless.

For example, I would support such a strike IF circumstances warranted it....but that's not a blanket "go for it" acceptance. Should NK attain ICBM capability that can reach our mainland AND upgrade to multiple megaton payloads...then yes, we would have little choice but to directly annihilate that capability. We are not their yet, so right now I would consider a large scale US attack on NK to be grossly premature...though there are cases in which I'd support a more surgical strike to take down a testing site or kill leadership.

As for a draft, very unlikely barring full scale WWIII. The South Korean army with the support of US forces on the ground...and heavy naval and air support from the US..would be sufficient to defeat any NK ground invasion. Albeit, at great cost in life and limb.  A mass call up of draftees just would not be necessary...or desirable...from the view of the military. The professional volunteer forces are vastly more effective than a draftee force any way, so a draft would literally be a last resort. 
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Nearly half of Republicans would support preemptive strike on North Korea
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 03:09:40 pm »

I wish there was volunteer things to do at home for those of us over 40 who would like to help/serve the country. If anyone knows of such things let me know. I've got all the time in the world after Election Day

Are you kidding me? There are tons of things. Meals-on-wheels off the top of my head.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2017, 04:11:37 pm »
From the article:

Or....?

How to handle them?

I don't know.  It is a serious problem.  Here we have a totally insane, evil dictator who actually has weapons that could do us serious harm and, I am, frankly scared of what he might do.

On the other hand, a preemptive strike against another country also scares me.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Mom MD

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2017, 04:17:43 pm »
From the article:

Or....?

How to handle them?

I highly doubt China would stick their neck out for rocket boy.  The real problem is the loss of life in Seoul that would happen with a preemptive strike. I think were it not for the proximity of Seoul we would have dealt with the nuisance long ago.
God is still in control

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2017, 04:29:45 pm »

For example, I would support such a strike IF circumstances warranted it....but that's not a blanket "go for it" acceptance. Should NK attain ICBM capability that can reach our mainland AND upgrade to multiple megaton payloads...then yes, we would have little choice but to directly annihilate that capability. We are not their yet, so right now I would consider a large scale US attack on NK to be grossly premature...though there are cases in which I'd support a more surgical strike to take down a testing site or kill leadership.

I have an entirely different outlook.   I believe we should have followed the Curtis LeMay approach.  I think Curtis LeMay was right back in 1950,  and his methodology has remained correct ever since.   

The very idea that you would tolerate anyone developing the means to hurt you is sheer insanity in my opinion.   I believe our footing should be and always should have been,   "You will not develop nuclear weapons and delivery systems.   Period."   

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2017, 04:31:45 pm »

I don't like it either,  but one nuke dropped on a city could kill 100,000 people or more in an instant.   M.A.D. works on sane people.   It doesn't work on kook bats.   

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline aligncare

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2017, 04:46:29 pm »

This kind of survey is essentially meaningless.

Especially since it’s conducted by a university poll. The pollsters are college students – ponytailed, pierced and tattooed college snowflakes. Quinnipiac polls have never yielded accurate measurements of public opinion. Leave these serious questions to pollsters with a proven track record.

Offline KingsX

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2017, 05:42:39 pm »

@KingsX - I just saw this article. It's just a FYI, but it's interesting.

http://gazette.com/too-fat-to-fight-colorado-nonprofit-says-military-threatened-by-childhood-obesity/article/1613250

I was going to post it as a separate thread but decided against it.

Interesting that the military is concerned with childhood obesity.
Wonder what "fix" they might have in mind.  Maybe compulsory
military training for ALL youths??  Something similar was floated
many years ago... mandatory military or national service for all.

Offline KingsX

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2017, 05:50:24 pm »

Another major player is Russia.  How do we handle them?  In the long run is the threat from China and/or Russia greater than the threat from N. Korea?

Russia, China and NK are all allies who share borders.

Russia has made a deal with NK to import lots of NK workers into Russia's far east.

A few years ago,  Putin invited the NK leader to Putin's annual Communist Red Army glorification military parade.

I wouldn't be surprised if both Russia and China are covertly behind NK's war-mongering.  Maybe "Rocket Man" is some kind of bait to lure the US military into a much bigger trap.

Offline KingsX

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2017, 05:57:41 pm »

I don't know.  It is a serious problem.  Here we have a totally insane, evil dictator who actually has weapons that could do us serious harm and, I am, frankly scared of what he might do.

This fits right in with what I just posted.

Maybe the US is being baited by NK.

Maybe Russia and China are are using NK to lure the US into a trap. 

Offline KingsX

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2017, 06:10:03 pm »

I know you are right. Israel has been placing women it's army for eons. (Example)

On the other hand, of the daughter of a veteran,  I would go gladly if I had time to get my affairs in order, but I think I'm too old, even for a desk job. I believe  thirty nine is the cut off date.

There are advantages of being old... especially now at this precarious evil end of the age.

One is blessed to be young at the height of an empire... instead of the degenerate dregs of a decaying empire.