Author Topic: The M28/M29 Davy Crockett Nuclear Weapon System  (Read 443 times)

Offline DemolitionMan

The M28/M29 Davy Crockett Nuclear Weapon System
« on: October 14, 2017, 10:19:47 pm »
Written By: Matthew Seelinger

During the Cold War, as the U.S. Navy and Air Force maintained America’s strategic nuclear arsenal of long-range bombers and submarine and land-based ballistic missiles, the Army focused on the development and deployment of tactical nuclear weapons for possible use on the battlefield.  Beginning in the early 1950s, the Army introduced a wide range of unguided rockets, guided missiles, artillery shells, demolition charges, and other systems capable of carrying nuclear warheads, with yields ranging from a fraction of a kiloton to a few megatons.  Among the smallest of the weapons in the Army’s nuclear arsenal was the M28/M29 Davy Crockett, a recoilless rifle system operated by a three-man crew and entering service in the early 1960s.The development of nuclear weapons during World War II, and their use against the Japanese cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki in August 1945, ushered in a new, and potentially cataclysmic, age of warfare.  Whole cities could now be destroyed in a matter of seconds by a single weapon.  Some military planners believed that expensive, large-scale ground armies were now all but obsolete, as nuclear bombs provided “more bang for the buck.”  However, the early versions of these weapons were primarily for strategic use.   The two devices dropped on Japan, the “Little Boy” and the “Fat Man,” were large, cumbersome weapons, each with a weight of over 10,000 pounds and a length of approximately ten feet.  Only the B-29 Superfortress had the capability of carrying and dropping these bombs, and they had little tactical use on the battlefield.

https://armyhistory.org/the-m28m29-davy-crockett-nuclear-weapon-system/
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline DemolitionMan

Re: The M28/M29 Davy Crockett Nuclear Weapon System
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 10:22:26 pm »

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHiihPD7bLM

Robert Kennedy watches a test of the Davy Crockett. Incredibly RARE!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 10:24:41 pm by DemolitionMan »
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome