Author Topic: Life Begins at Conception, Says Department of Health and Human Services  (Read 21664 times)

Offline goodwithagun

Re: Life Begins at Conception, Says Department of Health and Human Services
« Reply #350 on: October 20, 2017, 12:57:45 am »
@goodwithagun

I'm going to step this discussion up a few steps with the statement that women should be the sole decision makers on having an abortion or not when they reach the point where they can get pregnant by themselves. If the father of the future child wants that baby and is willing to sign legal papers that frees her from any obligations AS WELL AS TO ANY DOMINION OVER the child once it is born,she should be,as a matter of law,REQUIRED to carry the child to term or face prison time for causing an unlawful death of some sort.

Everybody wants to talk about the rights of a woman,but what about the  rights of the man that impregnated her?

When it comes to child support, @Jazzhead 's beloved "state" forces men to pay child support. After all, it takes two to make a child. So likewise, shouldn't the father get a say in whether or not the child is aborted?

As a side note, Rachel's Vinyard is a world wide org that treats and supports all who've been affected by abortion. Yes, even men.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #351 on: October 20, 2017, 12:08:54 pm »
Then we agree the government does have the right for a woman be denied the ability to decide for herself the direction her life, because it impacts the life of another.

We just disagree on when that time starts.

Well, yes, simplistically, that's true.   But I contend that a woman has to have a meaningful opportunity to decide for herself whether to proceed with a pregnancy.   It should be a relatively brief window of opportunity (e.g, the first 20 weeks),  but the existence of that opportunity is critical to preserving her rights from encroachment by the state. 

When do you think the government's time starts to forbid a woman from terminating a pregnancy?   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #352 on: October 20, 2017, 12:18:57 pm »
Well, yes, simplistically, that's true.   But I contend that a woman has to have a meaningful opportunity to decide for herself whether to proceed with a pregnancy.   It should be a relatively brief window of opportunity (e.g, the first 20 weeks),  but the existence of that opportunity is critical to preserving her rights from encroachment by the state. 

When do you think the government's time starts to forbid a woman from terminating a pregnancy?

But the fetus has rights too; and should be protected from encroachment and coercion of the state as well as irresponsible parents. The fetus is a human being, it is truly disgusting to read these feminist and planned parenthood arguments here. As far as I'm concerned those arguments totally lack integrity.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #353 on: October 20, 2017, 12:21:57 pm »
When it comes to child support, @Jazzhead 's beloved "state" forces men to pay child support. After all, it takes two to make a child. So likewise, shouldn't the father get a say in whether or not the child is aborted?

I gotta say that I don't have much sympathy for men in these circumstances.   Sure, it takes two to tango.  But the man's work is done in the first 30 seconds; the woman's burden lasts for nine months. 

I know there are exceptions, but I think most of the time the man is the true culprit behind an abortion.   The man abandons his partner, leaving her alone in the world with the prospect of bearing and raising a child.   Or, perhaps worse,  the man threatens his partner to have the abortion,  to spare him the trouble of having to help raise it.   

The scenario of a man sticking by his partner is not the scenario behind most abortions.   As the man goes, so goes the abortion.

In a perverse way, the responsibility that the community imposes on the man to financially support his progeny could lie behind some abortions.  As noted above, the man's desire to escape such responsibility can lead to his pressuring the woman to abort.  He may, for example, threaten to stay with her only if she makes their little problem go away. 

No, I don't have much sympathy for men in these circumstances.   And if a man wants to avoid his financial responsibility,  then what the hell, he should have kept his pants zipped.   My fiercest critics on this thread have, unanimously, been blaming the woman,  hectoring her to keep her legs shut, to recognize the consequences of sex.  And then outrageously claiming that most women abort for "convenience".  It's disgraceful, the unrepentant slut-shaming I've encountered on this thread.  And from folks who wear their religion on their sleeve!

I say that's insensitive and cruel, but perfectly understandable coming from a "Bible-believing Christian",  still in thrall to the patriarchy.   No, I don't have much respect for men in these circumstances.   

As the man goes, so goes the abortion.   
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 12:28:29 pm by Jazzhead »

Offline thackney

« Reply #354 on: October 20, 2017, 12:25:36 pm »

I think the couple have the time to make those decisions prior to the act that started the pregnancy.  Legal abortion is the justification too many men use to walk away from their responsibilities and the acceptance of others in society for them to do so.

My wife would likely never had been born in today's society.  She was the result of an affair between a young woman and a man married to another.  Their embarrassment and inconvenience should not comdem her to death.  It should not be legal for them to kill her.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline TomSea

« Reply #355 on: October 20, 2017, 12:26:51 pm »
These arguments embrace the culture of death, really similar to the way the Nazis saw some humans as not being worthy of having life.  Truly morally depraved.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #356 on: October 20, 2017, 12:33:45 pm »
This thread has run it's course, and is probably about 5 days old. We can concentrate on more current news as well.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #357 on: October 20, 2017, 12:38:39 pm »
Compassion is helping and supporting a woman to understand and do the right thing.  Your attitude of belittling women as seeking free illicit sex without consequences just drives them to Planned Parenthood.   

Attitudes like yours promote abortion, and drive decent people from the church.   You should be ashamed of yourself.   

Your post reminded me of this quote @Jazzhead

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #358 on: October 20, 2017, 12:39:32 pm »
I think the couple have the time to make those decisions prior to the act that started the pregnancy.  Legal abortion is the justification too many men use to walk away from their responsibilities and the acceptance of others in society for them to do so.

My wife would likely never had been born in today's society.  She was the result of an affair between a young woman and a man married to another.  Their embarrassment and inconvenience should not comdem her to death.  It should not be legal for them to kill her.

Thanks for acknowledging that men are often the true force behind abortions.   But I don't see why the legality of abortion plays a role.  At least nowadays when a man forces his partner to abort, the deed is done without also butchering the mother.   

The problem lies with the culture, not the laws.   Women in today's world have demanded and earned their autonomy.   But that doesn't mean they are absolved from the responsibility to do the right thing.  That's where the pro-life movement can and should play its most important role.   My intent on this thread is not to denigrate the pro-life movement, but to suggest that its priorities are askew.   Tilting at legal windmills doesn't save lives.   The cat's been out of the bag regarding the abortion right for over 40 years now.   There's no going back.  The patriarchy is dead for most of us outside the Bible belt.   Women have the same right as men to self-determination.

And so, IMO, the pro-life movement should emphasize saving lives, changing hearts and minds, not the Constitution.       

And when one takes responsibility, so should the other.   If a woman decides to bear and raise a child alone - bless her! - the father should pay his fair share of the financial burden.   I have no objection to the community's laws that compel a father to support his child.   

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #360 on: October 20, 2017, 01:02:29 pm »

An interesting question. Because abortion is a complicated matter. In the most simplistic form the state involvement, IMO, should only come when the viability of the "parents" comes in to question. And then the determination  wouldn't be for termination of the new life. Only who gets to pay for it.

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline TomSea

« Reply #361 on: October 20, 2017, 01:13:35 pm »
Your post reminded me of this quote @Jazzhead

Not quite, if its Muslims, they are referred to as "Friends and Neighbors", there is never any problem with some in criticizing a religion that feeds millions of hungry every day. If one reads the remarks, Christians are lower on the totem pole than Muslims and it doesn't take much observation to note this.

But of course, many say the left and the Muslims are indeed partners, @Jazzhead bashes Christianity on a daily basis.

Offline thackney

« Reply #362 on: October 20, 2017, 01:14:04 pm »
Thanks for acknowledging that men are often the true force behind abortions.   But I don't see why the legality of abortion plays a role.  At least nowadays when a man forces his partner to abort, the deed is done without also butchering the mother.

Having a legal, easy and all too common means of killing the infant isn't a part of the decision?  Really?

The problem lies with the culture, not the laws. 

The current laws are only a reflection of the culture. 

Women in today's world have demanded and earned their autonomy.   But that doesn't mean they are absolved from the responsibility to do the right thing.  That's where the pro-life movement can and should play its most important role.   My intent on this thread is not to denigrate the pro-life movement, but to suggest that its priorities are askew.   Tilting at legal windmills doesn't save lives.   The cat's been out of the bag regarding the abortion right for over 40 years now.   There's no going back.  The patriarchy is dead for most of us outside the Bible belt.   Women have the same right as men to self-determination.

And so, IMO, the pro-life movement should emphasize saving lives, changing hearts and minds, not the Constitution.       

And when one takes responsibility, so should the other.   If a woman decides to bear and raise a child alone - bless her! - the father should pay his fair share of the financial burden.   I have no objection to the community's laws that compel a father to support his child.   

The father should have a say as well as the responsibility.  A mother should not be legally allowed to kill his child.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline TomSea

« Reply #363 on: October 20, 2017, 01:15:13 pm »

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #364 on: October 20, 2017, 01:17:59 pm »
@Jazzhead bashes Christianity on a daily basis.

I don't bash Christianity.  I bash (some) Christians who seem to have forgetten Christ's message.   

Offline TomSea

« Reply #365 on: October 20, 2017, 01:24:40 pm »
Just read a Roy Moore thread, he was called a "religious zealot", it's very easy to find this general slant against Christianity, maybe specifically "Evangelical Christianity" but Muslims and Islam are defended, Christians are much the same thing as trash, the way Hitler viewed them. The way the unborn is seen. A terrible view if you ask me. Christian charities feed millions of hungry a day, you never hear about this or that other religions are limited in doing the same.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #366 on: October 20, 2017, 01:27:33 pm »

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline musiclady

« Reply #367 on: October 20, 2017, 01:30:13 pm »
I don't bash Christianity.  I bash (some) Christians who seem to have forgetten Christ's message.

Christ's message is not to kill babies and harm women.

Wrong again.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #368 on: October 20, 2017, 01:30:42 pm »
When life begins, which you have already said begins at conception. http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,285911.msg1483035.html#msg1483035

You cannot give a 100% certain, not just a legal one,  definition of viability of a child that causes an abortion to not be called murder; hence, it has to be at conception.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #369 on: October 20, 2017, 01:33:07 pm »

Ignore them, buddy!   Ignore the trolls who get their jollies this morning savaging you while they're sipping coffee.

You serve as an important member here at TBR, @Jazzhead

You keep the haughty 'local'  Christian coalition flummoxed....the ones that find it necessary to preach/condescend everyone with an alternate opinion.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 01:33:32 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #370 on: October 20, 2017, 01:35:31 pm »
Christ's message is not to kill babies and harm women.

Wrong again.

I'm not suggesting either,  ML.   What's your opinion of INVAR's view that women seek abortions because they seek "free illicit sex without consequences"?   

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #371 on: October 20, 2017, 01:38:03 pm »
Ignore them, buddy!   Ignore the trolls who get their jollies this morning savaging you while they're sipping coffee.

You serve as an important member here at TBR, @Jazzhead

You keep the haughty 'local'  Christian coalition flummoxed....the ones that find it necessary to preach/condescend everyone with an alternate opinion.

Thanks, DCP - I appreciate it!  And I'll send the kudos right back at ya!   

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #372 on: October 20, 2017, 01:41:00 pm »
The father should have a say as well as the responsibility.  A mother should not be legally allowed to kill his child.

As a matter of law, how do you propose that to work?   

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #373 on: October 20, 2017, 01:49:02 pm »
When life begins, which you have already said begins at conception. http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,285911.msg1483035.html#msg1483035

You cannot give a 100% certain, not just a legal one,  definition of viability of a child that causes an abortion to not be called murder; hence, it has to be at conception.

The legal definition on when an abortion is permitted, and when it is not, is inherently arbitrary.  The intent is to provide the woman with a meaningful opportunity to decide, so it is usually described as a designated period of time following implantation.  My own view is that, morally, the limit should be set at about the time the fetus can feel pain.   

(BTW, I never said life begins at conception, but rather that it begins at implantation.  That's a significant difference, IMO.   The woman's body must accept the conjoined sperm and egg.  In millions of cases,  implantation of the conjoined sperm and egg fails to occur, and is simply flushed away.   In other words, God doesn't create life - the woman does.)

Offline musiclady

« Reply #374 on: October 20, 2017, 01:55:36 pm »
I'm not suggesting either,  ML.   What's your opinion of INVAR's view that women seek abortions because they seek "free illicit sex without consequences"?

Out for the day.  I'll respond when I get back this afternoon.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.