Author Topic: Linking to a story without spelling out the URL  (Read 1506 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Linking to a story without spelling out the URL
« on: October 13, 2017, 03:03:03 pm »
Linking to a story without spelling out the URL.

Okay, what I mean is at the other place, if I were linking to anything, let's say a speech by the Gipper, I do this:

Ronald Reagan Speech
My, my, it worked here, maybe I should say never mind.

I see some have a handle on how to do this, I see @EasyAce  does it with ease.

I would rather go this route than posting some long link address www.wikipedia.... blah blah blah say.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Add on: Okay, say I wanted to discuss Dottie West, I would rather just put her name, instead of this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dottie_West

I hope this is clear enough.

Let me try another:

Dottie West

Okay, I think I solved it myself, but I was sure it didn't work another time. Never mind.  9999hair out0000
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 03:04:31 pm by TomSea »

Offline thackney

Re: Linking to a story without spelling out the URL
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 04:46:30 pm »

My preference is to always see the url before I click on it.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 06:27:49 pm »

Yes, ever since Drudge has been linking to Infowars, I check URLs before I click. 

So, Tom, did you just do a CTRL-k to embed the link?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 06:40:42 pm »

Firefox has a Status Bar that gives you a preview of the link address when you hover over the link.  I think all the browsers do, it's a pretty popular feature.  It may have to be enabled in "settings."
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 06:51:29 pm »
I know how to do it...been doing it for years...I'm just lazy when I don't
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 12:34:29 am »
It is nice when writing something to embed the sources in the statement, but I like to see the link, too. SOmetimes I am lazy, other times I don't want to spell it out because it seems like an interruption of the comment or statement being made to have the whole spelled out link stuffed in the middle of everything beyond a "source" that is clickable.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline endicom

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 12:42:24 am »

Yup.

Offline OfTheCross

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2019, 02:08:52 am »

Okay, what I mean is at the other place, if I were linking to anything, let's say a speech by the Gipper, I do this:

Ronald Reagan Speech
My, my, it worked here, maybe I should say never mind.

I see some have a handle on how to do this, I see @EasyAce  does it with ease.

I would rather go this route than posting some long link address www.wikipedia.... blah blah blah say.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Add on: Okay, say I wanted to discuss Dottie West, I would rather just put her name, instead of this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dottie_West

I hope this is clear enough.

Let me try another:

Dottie West

Okay, I think I solved it myself, but I was sure it didn't work another time. Never mind.  9999hair out0000

This is my preferred style of posting. Is there a simple way to do this on this message board?

I see in quoting you that you used an additional code and linked the URL. On other boards you can just type the words, highlight them and embed the link in those words...
If a well-regulated militia be the most natural defense of a free country, it ought certainly to be under the regulation and at the disposal of that body which is constituted the guardian of the national security.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2019, 02:29:37 am »
This is my preferred style of posting. Is there a simple way to do this on this message board?

I see in quoting you that you used an additional code and linked the URL. On other boards you can just type the words, highlight them and embed the link in those words...

@OfTheCross

In the posting window, there are a couple rows of buttons above the bunch of smilies that paste in the BBC code templates, like IMG and URL.  When you hover over them, a title of the button pops up like "Insert Image."  I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're asking?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 02:30:45 am by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2019, 02:30:10 am »

Are you talking about using html?...not sure I follow
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2019, 02:37:20 am »

Type the words, highlight them, then click on the second button from the left in the second row (it should say "Insert Hyperlink" when your mouse is over it).  Then put an equals sign after url and follow that immediately with the link.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2019, 02:45:11 am »
Type the words, highlight them, then click on the second button from the left in the second row (it should say "Insert Hyperlink" when your mouse is over it).  Then put an equals sign after url and follow that immediately with the link.

Can you give an example...learn something new everyday...
Support the USO

Offline OfTheCross

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2019, 02:46:24 am »

yes!

typing words to highlight

alright, cool. that's simple enough. @mystery-ak , thanks for checking in. that was precisely my question.

this forum layout isn't conducive to easy posting from my cell phone but I'll still have my fun on here. :)
If a well-regulated militia be the most natural defense of a free country, it ought certainly to be under the regulation and at the disposal of that body which is constituted the guardian of the national security.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2019, 03:22:29 am »

@OfTheCross

This link is not working for me!?
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2019, 03:45:54 am »
Can you give an example...learn something new everyday...

Sure.  I'll use the "code" button ('#') around the input so you can see it as it is when I'm typing it in w/o any formatting.

1) Type in the phrase you want to show as the link:

Code: [Select]
How to make cuttings from pentas
2) Highlight the text above and click the button:

[url]How to make cuttings from pentas[/url]
3) Add the link:

[url=https://homeguides.sfgate.com/make-cuttings-pentas-72098.html]How to make cuttings from pentas[/url]
4) Hit preview to ensure the formatting and link are to your liking:

My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline OfTheCross

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2019, 11:50:16 am »

@OfTheCross

This link is not working for me!?

8888crybaby

rickrolling should be a bannable offense

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2019, 12:11:05 pm »
8888crybaby

rickrolling should be a bannable offense
What do you mean? What is nick-rolling?
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2019, 12:51:02 pm »
Sure.  I'll use the "code" button ('#') around the input so you can see it as it is when I'm typing it in w/o any formatting.

1) Type in the phrase you want to show as the link:

2) Highlight the text above and click the button:

[url]How to make cuttings from pentas[/url]
3) Add the link:

[url=https://homeguides.sfgate.com/make-cuttings-pentas-72098.html]How to make cuttings from pentas[/url]
4) Hit preview to ensure the formatting and link are to your liking:

this is basically html without using the a href...
Support the USO

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2019, 03:54:26 am »
What do you mean? What is nick-rolling?
Answer found here
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis