Author Topic: North Korea’s threat of a crippling Electromagnetic Pulse attack targets America’s greatest vulnerability.  (Read 779 times)

Offline DemolitionMan

13D Research,

We have been studying the weaknesses and strengths of numerous aspects of land/border, seaport, airport, cybersecurity and biodefense since even before 9/11. Of all the potential forms of terrorism we have studied, the risk and impact of an Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) attack concerns us the most. An EMP attack occurs when a nuclear bomb is detonated 20 to 300 miles above the surface of the Earth. The electromagnetic waves created by the blast travel by line of site to the surface. For example, a nuclear weapon detonated above Nebraska at an altitude of about 300 miles, would produce no blast and no radioactive fallout. But, the entire electrical grid in the lower 48 states, and all electronic-based equipment — mobile phones, radios, cars, planes, trains — would likely be disabled.
An EMP attack could effectively cause a complete and utter collapse of infrastructure and all the systems that make day to day life possible. The average city only has a three-day supply of food, and the lack of running water, transportation and communications infrastructure could lead to widespread disease, fatalities, the decline of rule of law and chaos.
America is woefully unprepared to restore any disruptions in its antiquated grid structure. There are an estimated 2,000 Extra High Voltage (EHV) Large Power Transformers (LPTs) in the U.S., with the total number of LPTs with a rating of 100 megavolt-amperes (MVA) and above, potentially ranging in the tens of thousands. Delivery lead times required for LPTs are 5 to 12 months from domestic producers. But, the U.S. has had limited domestic manufacturing capability for the transformers in recent years, with up to 85% of demand met from foreign producers that have lead times extending up to 16 months. An emergency reserve of transformers of up to 100 large transformers targeted to be in place by 2018 could help cushion a broad attack, but only partially. Widespread electrical outages could last from several months to over a year or more. America’s digitally-driven economy and its underlying electrical/ electronic-based infrastructure is more vulnerable than ever. It is almost impossible to grasp the devastating socio-economic implications.

https://latest.13d.com/north-koreas-threat-of-an-electromagnetic-pulse-attack-targets-americas-vulnerability-emp-633418b2ebe5?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9tGi1JDt1gIVRFp-Ch2f6wghEAAYASAAEgIlafD_BwE
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

I wonder if the likelihood is electric cars will be at higher risk than gas and diesel cars?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
It's probably nothing. These have been tried before and everyone recovered.
Countdown to Resignation

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I just don't think most people realize how vulnerable every financial, energy or goods distribution system in this country really is. Everything today is computer controlled, very little of it hardened or protected. Every link in the chain, and I mean every link.

There is very little mechanical anything out there anymore. Once those chips in those computers controlling, monitoring, and measuring everything are fried, you're done. Things don't move, money doesn't change hands, energy stops flowing. The worst part is the mechanical backups don't exist anymore as most get scrapped for the computer controlled rig.

The Republic is lost.

Offline DemolitionMan

I just don't think most people realize how vulnerable every financial, energy or goods distribution system in this country really is. Everything today is computer controlled, very little of it hardened or protected. Every link in the chain, and I mean every link.

There is very little mechanical anything out there anymore. Once those chips in those computers controlling, monitoring, and measuring everything are fried, you're done. Things don't move, money doesn't change hands, energy stops flowing. The worst part is the mechanical backups don't exist anymore as most get scrapped for the computer controlled rig.

I agree
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline DemolitionMan

« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 12:13:07 am by DemolitionMan »