Author Topic: Asteroid 2012 TC4 flew ‘damn close’ to Earth today - but how prepared are we for a strike?  (Read 1145 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
The Telegraph by  Mike Wright 12 October 2017

An asteroid the size of a house was being watched carefully this morning by astrophysicists as it hurtled “damn close” to Earth.

The large space rock, named 2012 TC4, was first spotted five years ago by the Pan-STARRS telescope at the Haleakala Observatory, in Hawaii, before disappearing as it orbits the sun. It then reemerged in July on a trajectory well inside our lunar orbit.

Scientists said the asteroid swung by Earth about 6:42am BST, passing over Antarctica, and posed no threat.

However it did present space agencies with a rare opportunity to test the planet’s space defences and wargame what they would do if a larger, more threatening asteroid was detected heading straight for Earth.
How close did TC4 come to Earth?

TC4 is between 50 to 100ft in diameter and travelling through space at roughly 16,000 mph - 4.5 miles a second. It is past within 27,000 miles of Antarctica.

More: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/0/asteroid-2012-tc4-pass-damn-close-earth-tomorrow-give-rare-chance/

Offline Suppressed

Okay, this one wasn't just hype like most...it really did pass pretty close. 

Cool.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Seriously - what the hell can be done exactly?

It's like asking what do we do if the Yellowstone volcano pops off. The answer is not a darn thing because you can't do much of anything in the face of apocalyptic destruction.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Suppressed

Seriously - what the hell can be done exactly?

It's like asking what do we do if the Yellowstone volcano pops off. The answer is not a darn thing because you can't do much of anything in the face of apocalyptic destruction.
@Free Vulcan
I found this post very humorous in its placement over your signature line.   :laugh:
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
@Free Vulcan
I found this post very humorous in its placement over your signature line.   :laugh:

Well you know we all do what we can.   :beer:
The Republic is lost.

Offline Suppressed

+++++++++

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Passed 27000 miles over Antarctica? Wouldn't that be 27000 miles under?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis