Author Topic: Trump threatens to target licenses of 'NBC and the Networks' after nuclear arsenal report  (Read 81113 times)

Offline Frank Cannon

What's needed in the NEWS business is the equivalent of UBER and LYFT!

Don't take any licenses away! Just make them worthless with competition!

Great idea. I am chomping at the bit to get my news network up and going. It is a winner of an idea.

Topless News!!!! Smokin' hot chicks, but they would have various foreign accents to add credibility. The news will have a right bent, a left bent and a center bent......

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
That's the point.
It isn't about fairness.
It can't be about fairness.
Dreaming that it is, is simply drinking the liberal koolaid.
Shit ain't fair. Get used to it.
And giving the federal government even more power to enforce even more 'fairness' is antithetical to Conservative principles.
End_of_story.

That is a totally illogical post.  But thanx for trying.

Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Online roamer_1

That is a totally illogical post.  But thanx for trying.

No, it is precisely TRUE.

Offline RoosGirl

Great idea. I am chomping at the bit to get my news network up and going. It is a winner of an idea.

Topless News!!!! Smokin' hot chicks, but they would have various foreign accents to add credibility. The news will have a right bent, a left bent and a center bent......

I would say they should wear reading glasses to help with the credibility thing, but I don't think anyone would notice.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
They seem to think the weapon they want to create and wield will never be turned against them the instant a Democrat comes to power.  Cute of them, isn't it?  ^-^

Speaking of Hannity (a few posts ago), I have to admire him.  He is so much better than those pundits who swayed with the wind, like Ann Coulter.  He really liked Trump from the beginning and he didn't forsake him when it became fashionable to do so.

I don't watch him but lots of people do, and I do respect him.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

Bring it Frank!  Let's see what the market thinks!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline aligncare

Found this to be interesting reading on TOS. Doesn’t appear to have a citation, but it looks like it may be from a FCC website:

Broadcast Journalism
Introduction. As noted above, in light of the fundamental importance of the free flow of information to our democracy, the First Amendment and the Communications Act bar the FCC from telling station licensees how to select material for news programs, or prohibiting the broadcast of an opinion on any subject. We also do not review anyone’s qualifications to gather, edit, announce, or comment on the news; these decisions are the station licensee’s responsibility. Nevertheless, there are two issues related to broadcast journalism that are subject to Commission regulation: hoaxes and news distortion.

Hoaxes. The broadcast by a station of false information concerning a crime or catastrophe violates the FCC's rules if:

the station licensee knew that the information was false,
broadcasting the false information directly causes substantial public harm, and
it was foreseeable that broadcasting the false information would cause such harm.

In this context, a “crime” is an act or omission that makes the offender subject to criminal punishment by law, and a “catastrophe” is a disaster or an imminent disaster involving violent or sudden events affecting the public. The broadcast must cause direct and actual damage to property or to the health or safety of the general public, or diversion of law enforcement or other public health and safety authorities from their duties, and the public harm must begin immediately. If a station airs a disclaimer before the broadcast that clearly characterizes the program as fiction and the disclaimer is presented in a reasonable manner under the circumstances, the program is presumed not to pose foreseeable public harm. Additional information about the hoax rule can be found on the FCC’s website at Broadcasting False Information.

News Distortion. The Commission often receives complaints concerning broadcast journalism, such as allegations that stations have aired inaccurate or one-sided news reports or comments, covered stories inadequately, or overly dramatized the events that they cover. For the reasons noted above, the Commission generally will not intervene in such cases because it would be inconsistent with the First Amendment to replace the journalistic judgment of licensees with our own.

However, as public trustees, broadcast licensees may not intentionally distort the news: the FCC has stated that “rigging or slanting the news is a most heinous act against the public interest.”

The Commission will investigate a station for news distortion if it receives documented evidence of such rigging or slanting, such as testimony or other documentation, from individuals with direct personal knowledge that a licensee or its management engaged in the intentional falsification of the news. Of particular concern would be evidence of the direction to employees from station management to falsify the news. However, absent such a compelling showing, the Commission will not intervene. For additional information about news distortion, see Broadcast Journalism Complaints.

Political Broadcasting: Candidates for Public Office. In recognition of the particular importance of the free flow of information to the public during the electoral process, the Communications Act and the Commission’s rules impose specific obligations on broadcasters regarding political speech.

Reasonable Access. The Communications Act requires that broadcast stations provide “reasonable access” to candidates for federal elective office. Such access must be made available during all of a station’s normal broadcast schedule, including television prime time and radio drive time. In addition, federal candidates are entitled to purchase all classes of time offered by stations to commercial advertisers, such as preemptible and non-preemptible time. The only exception to the access requirement is for bona fide news programming (as defined below), during which broadcasters may choose not to sell airtime to federal candidates. Broadcast stations have discretion as to whether to sell time to candidates in state and local elections.

Equal Opportunities. The Communications Act requires that, when a station provides airtime to a legally qualified candidate for any public office (federal, state, or local), the station must “afford equal opportunities to all other such candidates for that office.” The equal opportunities provision of the Communications Act also provides that the station “shall have no power of censorship over the material broadcast” by the candidate. The law exempts from the equal opportunities requirement appearances by candidates during bona fide news programming, defined as an appearance by a legally qualified candidate on a bona fide newscast, interview, or documentary (if the appearance of the candidate is incidental to the presentation of the subject covered by the documentary) or on–the–spot coverage of a bona fide news event (including debates, political conventions and related incidental activities).

In addition, a station must sell political advertising time to certain candidates during specified periods before a primary or general election at the lowest rate charged for the station’s most favored commercial advertiser. Stations must maintain and make available for public inspection, in their public inspection files, a political file containing certain documents and information, discussed at page 28 of this Manual. For additional information about the political rules, see Political Programming.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Found this to be interesting reading on TOS. Doesn’t appear to have a citation, but it looks like it may be from a FCC website:

Broadcast Journalism
Introduction. As noted above, in light of the fundamental importance of the free flow of information to our democracy, the First Amendment and the Communications Act bar the FCC from telling station licensees how to select material for news programs, or prohibiting the broadcast of an opinion on any subject. We also do not review anyone’s qualifications to gather, edit, announce, or comment on the news; these decisions are the station licensee’s responsibility. Nevertheless, there are two issues related to broadcast journalism that are subject to Commission regulation: hoaxes and news distortion.

Hoaxes. The broadcast by a station of false information concerning a crime or catastrophe violates the FCC's rules if:

the station licensee knew that the information was false,
broadcasting the false information directly causes substantial public harm, and
it was foreseeable that broadcasting the false information would cause such harm.

In this context, a “crime” is an act or omission that makes the offender subject to criminal punishment by law, and a “catastrophe” is a disaster or an imminent disaster involving violent or sudden events affecting the public. The broadcast must cause direct and actual damage to property or to the health or safety of the general public, or diversion of law enforcement or other public health and safety authorities from their duties, and the public harm must begin immediately. If a station airs a disclaimer before the broadcast that clearly characterizes the program as fiction and the disclaimer is presented in a reasonable manner under the circumstances, the program is presumed not to pose foreseeable public harm. Additional information about the hoax rule can be found on the FCC’s website at Broadcasting False Information.

News Distortion. The Commission often receives complaints concerning broadcast journalism, such as allegations that stations have aired inaccurate or one-sided news reports or comments, covered stories inadequately, or overly dramatized the events that they cover. For the reasons noted above, the Commission generally will not intervene in such cases because it would be inconsistent with the First Amendment to replace the journalistic judgment of licensees with our own.

However, as public trustees, broadcast licensees may not intentionally distort the news: the FCC has stated that “rigging or slanting the news is a most heinous act against the public interest.”

The Commission will investigate a station for news distortion if it receives documented evidence of such rigging or slanting, such as testimony or other documentation, from individuals with direct personal knowledge that a licensee or its management engaged in the intentional falsification of the news. Of particular concern would be evidence of the direction to employees from station management to falsify the news. However, absent such a compelling showing, the Commission will not intervene. For additional information about news distortion, see Broadcast Journalism Complaints.

Political Broadcasting: Candidates for Public Office. In recognition of the particular importance of the free flow of information to the public during the electoral process, the Communications Act and the Commission’s rules impose specific obligations on broadcasters regarding political speech.

Reasonable Access. The Communications Act requires that broadcast stations provide “reasonable access” to candidates for federal elective office. Such access must be made available during all of a station’s normal broadcast schedule, including television prime time and radio drive time. In addition, federal candidates are entitled to purchase all classes of time offered by stations to commercial advertisers, such as preemptible and non-preemptible time. The only exception to the access requirement is for bona fide news programming (as defined below), during which broadcasters may choose not to sell airtime to federal candidates. Broadcast stations have discretion as to whether to sell time to candidates in state and local elections.

Equal Opportunities. The Communications Act requires that, when a station provides airtime to a legally qualified candidate for any public office (federal, state, or local), the station must “afford equal opportunities to all other such candidates for that office.” The equal opportunities provision of the Communications Act also provides that the station “shall have no power of censorship over the material broadcast” by the candidate. The law exempts from the equal opportunities requirement appearances by candidates during bona fide news programming, defined as an appearance by a legally qualified candidate on a bona fide newscast, interview, or documentary (if the appearance of the candidate is incidental to the presentation of the subject covered by the documentary) or on–the–spot coverage of a bona fide news event (including debates, political conventions and related incidental activities).

In addition, a station must sell political advertising time to certain candidates during specified periods before a primary or general election at the lowest rate charged for the station’s most favored commercial advertiser. Stations must maintain and make available for public inspection, in their public inspection files, a political file containing certain documents and information, discussed at page 28 of this Manual. For additional information about the political rules, see Political Programming.

Looks like all that we need is some real enforcement of existing rules!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Frank Cannon

I would say they should wear reading glasses to help with the credibility thing, but I don't think anyone would notice.

Great idea. I know I would notice. RBF chicks with glasses are awesome. Adds to the intimidation.

Offline aligncare

Looks like all that we need is some real enforcement of existing rules!

It does, doesn’t it.

The only reason I can see why enforcement never happens is Democrat administrations don’t want it enforced because the slanting favors them, and Republicans, well they’re gutless.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 05:44:43 pm by aligncare »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

(snip)

If that's true, then you already have the tools at your disposal you say you should have.  The FCC needs to be pressured to do their job.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
If that's true, then you already have the tools at your disposal you say you should have.  The FCC needs to be pressured to do their job.

Until very recently the FCC was filled with ultra leftist appointees!  Hopefully that will change even further in the future!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Until very recently the FCC was filled with ultra leftist appointees!  Hopefully that will change even further in the future!

As far as I know, they still are.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Great idea. I know I would notice. RBF chicks with glasses are awesome. Adds to the intimidation.

I've always been a sucker for the "Hot Librarian" look....
I will NOT comply.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline RoosGirl

Back to my previous comment.  This is just another twitter bitch session that accomplishes nothing other than making Trump look like an ignoramus to anyone who has even a mediocre interest in conservative, small government.  But hey, as long as it gets his WWE base riled up, twitter on!

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
No, it is precisely TRUE.

In one of C.S. Lewis's novels, a princess who has been treated badly by her sister complains to her priest.

"Life isn't fair," she wails.

"Lucky for us, my child." he says.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
https://www.fcc.gov/about/leadership

Two Trumps (one of them is the Chairman), Two Obama's and one Obama who was renamed by Trump.   :shrug:
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Back to my previous comment.  This is just another twitter bitch session that accomplishes nothing other than making Trump look like an ignoramus to anyone who has even a mediocre interest in conservative, small government.  But hey, as long as it gets his WWE base riled up, twitter on!

Over 560 posts on this thread alone.... (Well, a good share of them are Frank hitting on you, but that's OK, it made it entertaining.)
I will NOT comply.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Two Trumps (one of them is the Chairman), Two Obama's and one Obama who was renamed by Trump.   :shrug:

Yeah!  I don't get the renaming of the Obama one either!

Maybe Trump didn't fully understand the import of that when he did it. Most likely got some really bad advice form his counselors!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline aligncare

Roosey, you are sorely misinformed:

https://www.usnews.com/news/business/articles/2017-07-20/trump-cutting-hundreds-of-planned-regulations

Jul 20, 2017 - Trump is culling hundreds of proposed regulations, a move meant to boost economic growth. ... Federal agencies have withdrawn 469 proposed regulations compared to a fall 2016 report when Barack ...

https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/trumps-real-personnel-victory-more-conservative-judges

Aug 2, 2017 - Newsom resembles many Trump nominees to the federal bench. He has excellent formal qualifications, including a degree from Harvard Law School, a Supreme Court clerkship, and a ...

Online roamer_1

In one of C.S. Lewis's novels, a princess who has been treated badly by her sister complains to her priest.

"Life isn't fair," she wails.

"Lucky for us, my child." he says.

Indeed. So be careful what you wish for.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Indeed. So be careful what you wish for.

I always am.  And you, my friend, you be careful also.

Offline RoosGirl

https://www.usnews.com/news/business/articles/2017-07-20/trump-cutting-hundreds-of-planned-regulations

Jul 20, 2017 - Trump is culling hundreds of proposed regulations, a move meant to boost economic growth. ... Federal agencies have withdrawn 469 proposed regulations compared to a fall 2016 report when Barack ...

https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/trumps-real-personnel-victory-more-conservative-judges

Aug 2, 2017 - Newsom resembles many Trump nominees to the federal bench. He has excellent formal qualifications, including a degree from Harvard Law School, a Supreme Court clerkship, and a ...

Are you changing the subject?  It seems like you're changing the subject.    I thought we were talking about a dumbass twitter rant about the unfair media; the unfair media that should have its "license" confiscated, instead of using existing laws to address any illegality.  I'm sure you understand why it would remind me of a different dumbass twitter rant about why "Crooked Hillary" isn't being investigated.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

Yep!  But try telling anything good about Trump to a NTer.  And, yeah, they claim to applaud him when he does anything good but they never seem to notice anything good.