Author Topic: Trump threatens to target licenses of 'NBC and the Networks' after nuclear arsenal report  (Read 81120 times)

Offline DiogenesLamp

It sounds to me like we need a new center of broadcasting. Not on one of the coasts, but somewhere in the middle.

I have also been saying that for quite awhile.  Get the News "services"  out of New York,  and get the "entertainment services"  out of Los Angeles,  and a lot of the problem with bias would simply go away. 

I have also advocated moving the capitol from Washington DC to someplace in the middle of Kansas, preferably a wheat field or something.   

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

My recollection was that the "Fairness Doctrine"  was an effort to kill talk radio shows like Rush Limbaugh by forcing them to carry Liberal opinion too.   We didn't like it and for good reason.

But forcing the people who own the Television  broadcasting system to allow our voice on the broadcasting network would be worth giving up Talk Radio dominance. 

In terms of gains versus losses,  we would come out way ahead.

And you think that weapon would never be turned against us.  There's a Sam Elliot meme out there somewhere that applies.  Experience has taught you nothing at all, so I shouldn't be surprised talking to you is not any different from talking to a wall.  Bye.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 03:10:58 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Your cleverness is inspiring.

Yeah, but his grammar sucks.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline jpsb

@jpsb

@Bigun

Thanks I downloaded that image and will use it from time to time.

Offline DiogenesLamp

@roamer_1

They're all for shutting the press up right now,

Stop deliberately misstating our position.   Nobody is trying to shut up the press,  we are trying to get equal time on their monopoly controlled channels.   

Does my ability to talk make you  be quiet?  No?  So stop asserting something that is 100% false and a disgusting accusation to boot!   

but in a few years when a Democrat gets into office, see how they like  it then.

I will be happy with our side getting equal time and access under a Democrat administration too.   Who knows?  If the public can hear our side,  then perhaps there won't be any more Democrat Presidents for awhile,   and when there eventually is,  perhaps he will be far more conservative than the kookbat leftests we have been getting so far.   

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline DiogenesLamp

That is exactly right!

It is exactly wrong,  just as I pointed out in my previous message.   

My ability to speak on this forum does not silence you or anyone else.   The ability of conservatives to get equal time on the Television broadcasting monopoly will not cause Liberals to be silenced.   It will cause those people who have been silenced under the current system to finally have an equal voice! 

— Lord Melbourne —

Offline DiogenesLamp

Never give your enemies a weapon you don't want pointed back at you.

I don't mind an "equal access on the television monopoly"  weapon pointed back at me. 

Right now they have 95% access or more.   Increasing their access down to 30 or 40% sounds like a fair scheme to me. 

— Lord Melbourne —

Offline DiogenesLamp

I also heard some insurance expert on NPR use that exact same phraseology.

There is a video on you tube showing how they mocked the chances of Trump winning the Presidency.   I think it has five different news anchors using exactly the same verbiage to describe Trump as a Clown.   

It's as if they were all reading off of the same teleprompter.   

So, the BS narrative is set. However, they’re facing a very different President this time.  One that’s  got small thumbs and a phone – and he tweets. Boy, does he tweet. LOL!

People do not grasp the value of him throwing these bombs.  The media never had bombs thrown at it before.   It sometimes provokes them into shrillness and overreach. 

— Lord Melbourne —

Offline aligncare

@aligncare

Hannity is the biggest joke on the internet---among conservatives.  No one ever accused him of being bright, but for some reason, since he became an abject Trump sycophant, he's deteriorated into something amusing and pathetic in equal amounts.

He frequently posts bizarre, cursing rants on his Twitter page.  The screeds are misspelled, sometimes in caps, and often contain crazed references to his martial arts prowess.  In no rational world could he be considered an asset to a movement.

I met him once.  I expect his near-dwarfism is a factor in his agitation.

Yeah, big joke. If Sean’s such a joke why is his TV show crushing the competition?

Every now and again it’s good to pull back and question your own assumptions. Let some fresh air in. Of course, it doesn’t always work if you’re rooted in NeverTrump land.

Offline Frank Cannon

Yeah, big joke. If Sean’s such a joke why is his TV show crushing the competition?

He's King Shit on Turd Island. On a good day he may pull in 4 million viewers. Granted that is about double his competition, but there are 350+ million potential viewers in the country. That means he pulls in .01% of Americans to his show.

Offline jpsb

It's as if they were all reading off of the same teleprompter.   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH8dejYGa5A

There are others lots of them

Offline RoosGirl

Every now and again it’s good to pull back and question your own assumptions. Let some fresh air in. Of course, it doesn’t always work if you’re rooted in NeverTrump land.

Hannity has roughly the same number of viewers as WWE.  That smell coming in is men in spandex, not fresh air.

Online roamer_1

It is exactly wrong,  just as I pointed out in my previous message.   

My ability to speak on this forum does not silence you or anyone else.   The ability of conservatives to get equal time on the Television broadcasting monopoly will not cause Liberals to be silenced.   It will cause those people who have been silenced under the current system to finally have an equal voice!

But no, that isn't what will happen, even as other equality testing means never have worked.
Unintended consequences.
Fed deciding the defining parameters of what is called 'Conservative'. AND WHAT ISN'T. Who is, and who isn't.
The FED designing Conservative content - Be very careful what you wish for.

You are handing your own ass into the hands of the very people who hate you.
Yeah.. that'll work out fine.

Offline DiogenesLamp

You are not going to get a lot of disagreement the media is biased as all get out.  Most of us have known that for the past half-century at least.  The problem arises when you want to use the blunt instrument of Big Government to exact revenge for you.  Find another way to fix it, one that won't empower the next leftist in charge.

Years ago I was a delegate to a platform committee meeting for my State's Republican party.   At the time it was chaired by someone that nobody knew at the time,  but who is now the governor of our State.   

There was a two day discussion about what to put into the State's party platform,  and as my group was mostly focused on gun rights,   I proposed that we urge the State Legislature to issue licenses so that the public could carry concealed weapons. 

OMG! You would have thought I had proposed cutting off the heads of puppies.   A bunch of virtue signaling delegates immediately rose to proclaim their undying opposition to any such proposal,  because "By God! People have a *RIGHT* to carry guns,  and don't need PERMISSION from the State Legislature to do so!"   

I pointed out that while I may agree with them on this,   neither the public,  the legislature,  nor the law enforcement people were ready to acknowledge this right,  and so therefore that is a non starter from the git-go.   

They were having none of it.   They wanted all or nothing.   They absolutely refused to accept any notion that required any official act from the state.    This went on and on for about an hour,  and I finally outsmarted the stupid F***ers. 

I said "How about this verbiage?    "We urge the State Legislature to find a means by which law abiding citizens can lawfully carry firearms."   

They all found that language acceptable,  and the proposal was passed and incorporated into the platform. 

I immediately said under my breath:  " And the way the legislature is going to do this is by issuing licenses."   

My state passed such a law two years later,  and the governor I helped elect at that time signed it.   Members of my group were present at the signing ceremony and we still have the pictures.   

I understand the principle involved,  but I also recognized the reality of the time period.   Nobody was going to accept unrestricted carrying of weapons without some sort of over sight,  and people could bitch all they wanted about their rights under the second amendment,   but doing what they wanted was simply a bridge too far for the public to accept.   

My thinking at the time was that establishing the actual practice of carrying weapons would have a long term good effect on society,  and more firmly establish the idea in the public's mind that this is acceptable.

It turned out well.   

Now you may think this has nothing at all to do with the current discussion,  but you would be wrong.   Once again I see people refusing to deal with the reality of a situation,  and instead they are piously quoting cliches about how much they are against something  when they could instead be suggesting any other method for resolving the problem.   

"Virtue Signaling"  is not helpful.   Yes,  we all know how much you all dearly love our rights and our principles,   but waving the flag ignores the fact that we are in a dire situation and we need to get out of it.   

Toss out some ideas.   
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline skeeter

I don't mind an "equal access on the television monopoly"  weapon pointed back at me. 

Right now they have 95% access or more.   Increasing their access down to 30 or 40% sounds like a fair scheme to me.

Wouldn't forcing the networks to issue a prominent disclaimer at the beginning of each broadcast undercutting their pretense to objectivity obtain the same ultimate objective without running afoul of the 1A? The FTC requires the same thing in ads, packaging and labeling already.

Forcing the news organizations, including FNC, to admit their product doesn't necessarily reflect the entire truth up front would be all that would be needed, IMO.

Offline DiogenesLamp

Obama didn't merely threaten many things I and many others absolutely hated, he CODIFIED them.

He was constantly promoting Net Neutrality - almost the same thing. Not as a throw away line, as policy.

Nice try Tapper.

What is the downside of "net neutrality"?   It is a subject on which I have apparently overlooked something.   The Wikipedia entry on it sounds rather benign,   but obviously there is something wrong with it,  else so many people would not be objecting to the idea.   

What is the bad side of this idea? 
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline DiogenesLamp

Like statists everywhere they never expect to be on the outside looking in.

Glenn Reynolds (Instapundit)   is fond of saying:   "You spent 8 years weaponizing the government all to turn it over to Trump."   

— Lord Melbourne —

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

There is no such thing as actual news reporting in the USA today!  Instead we have leftist propaganda 24/7/365 called news!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline aligncare

Sure, Sean is repetitive with his talking points. Which gets boring. But, there’s method to the repetition. That’s what’s required to break though political noise and stagnated thinking. Sean’s objective is to change minds.

A smart change agent will tell you (the audience) what he’s about to tell you, then tell you what he wants to tell you, and then tell you what it was he just told you. Public speaking 101.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 04:01:43 pm by aligncare »

Offline DiogenesLamp

Your cleverness is inspiring.

A person has to create their own entertainment whenever they are able. 

:)   
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline skeeter

What is the downside of "net neutrality"?   It is a subject on which I have apparently overlooked something.   The Wikipedia entry on it sounds rather benign,   but obviously there is something wrong with it,  else so many people would not be objecting to the idea.   

What is the bad side of this idea?

Besides the fact that the left never does anything that would enhance the free and open exchange of information, under the euphemism 'Net Neutrality' President Obama was essentially calling for the FCC to reclassify the Internet as a utility making it subject to heavy regulations as if they’re monopolies. This makes the FCC the final authority over Internet pricing, products and services.

More governmental control, not less. Definitely not what we want.

Borrowed from this - http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/2014/11/11/why-obama-is-wrong-on-net-neutrality.html
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 04:05:52 pm by skeeter »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Hannity has roughly the same number of viewers as WWE.  ...

Gotta link for this?

Offline DiogenesLamp

And you think that weapon would never be turned against us.  There's a Sam Elliot meme out there somewhere that applies.  Experience has taught you nothing at all, so I shouldn't be surprised talking to you is not any different from talking to a wall.  Bye.

They own 99% of the content and air time already.   How are they going to turn our getting a greater share of air time and content against us? 

— Lord Melbourne —

Offline RoosGirl

Gotta link for this?

Be curious and go look it up like I did.

Offline DiogenesLamp

They are all sock puppets for the Deep State Crony Capitalists that currently influence the Government and the population. 

— Lord Melbourne —