Author Topic: Trump threatens to target licenses of 'NBC and the Networks' after nuclear arsenal report  (Read 80976 times)

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

The  DANGER from one party control of the dominant media is not that conservatives will be unable to find information. 

The DANGER is that a misinformed public will act on incorrect or a lack of correct information.

It's really hard to argue with that, but I find the choice of weapon under discussion to do something about it very dubious.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

At this point i'm ready to say  "F*** controlling it.   Just burn the whole sonnofab*tch down. "   Kill Television in total,  and let people get their news from newspapers.   

Like WaPo and the NYT? Maybe the National Enquirer?

Or print magazines like:
AARP Magazine
Costco Connection
Game Informer
Better Homes and Gardens
Reader's Digest (Best digested in the back of the dirty book store)
Good Housekeeping
National Geographic
Family Circle
People
Woman's Day

(Those are the top ten, based on issues distributed, (in order from most to least) in print magazines).
http://www.therichest.com/business/the-top-ten-best-selling-magazines-in-the-united-states/

With the complete conversion to alarmist warmist nonsense in National Geographic, there isn't a lot there for a conservative to go on, although Reader's Digest used to be fairly conservative (I haven't seen one in a couple of decades, I think the Mail Mule eats them).
The thing wouldn't even exist but for government approved licenses,  and the naive among us don't want "government"  involved in what was the very creation of government.
Government didn't create the electromagnetic spectrum, it licensed it.

Demand Conservative TeeVee and it will happen, but you need to abandon the Liberal Teevee first. I think the niche is open since Fox shifted a little to leftward.

Unless you think ideology must be imposed by force, let ideas compete in the marketplace. You sound like a liberal wanting to shut down Conservative talk radio. Face it though, TV lends itself to liberals who sit on their arses and watch it. Radio appeals to Conservatives who are likely to be doing something and need to keep their eyes on that while they can listen to the radio. It is the fundamental reason for the media disparity.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 09:31:42 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DiogenesLamp

Yeah, but didn't you see that 36% of households get the MSM channels in their living rooms?  You know how you fix that?  The gov't should impose required watching/listening times over a variety of channels.

When you have devolved to mockery,  you are unable to put forth a real argument.   

Demanding that both sides have access to the people is not tantamount to the government forcing people to watch something.   

In the candidates debates,   I assume you would think it ridiculous if we had a "debate"  where only the Democrat candidate was allowed to speak.   

Well I've got news for you.   With the media,  Every freaking day is a political debate with the Opposition putting forth their points,  and occasionally one of their pet monkeys claiming to be on our side offering up a weak pathetic rebuttal if any sort of rebuttal is allowed at all. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline musiclady

It's really hard to argue with that, but I find the choice of weapon under discussion to do something about it very dubious.

Not to mention DANGERous......

And a great way to have the government in control of everything we hear and read.

A la PRAVDA, as @Smokin Joe so aptly mentioned above.

THAT is what is being advocated here.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

I could start broadcasting with 1500 Watts of power this afternoon IF I was allowed into those portions of the spectrum!  I'm not!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DiogenesLamp

OF COURSE it offends me. And yes, I was there. I was on the very thread when it happened. THAT is how you beat the press. Magnify that process and keep them honest.

Your suggest we wait until the stars align,  and then we can occasionally win one small victory amidst the long trail of tragic losses?   

We got lucky with Dan Rather.   There are so many other instances in which the lies were never rebutted. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Not to mention DANGERous......

And a great way to have the government in control of everything we hear and read.

A la PRAVDA, as @Smokin Joe so aptly mentioned above.

THAT is what is being advocated here.

Certainly NOT what I'm advocating!  There are millions of people out there at this moment who could compete with the big boys in radio and television IF the fed gov would allow them to do it. I happen to be one of them!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DiogenesLamp

Regulating bakers - bad.  Regulating newspapers - good.

Someone pulled a dishonest switcheroo on something I said earlier.   I said "Music"  they switched the word to "entertainment". 

I don't think any discussion of newspapers has been advanced by anyone so far.   I have consistently spoken of the Television broadcasting monopoly created by the Government and under the control of left wing interests.   

I think everyone else is also on this same page,   but now you assert we are trying to regulate "newspapers."   

Dishonest.  Very dishonest. 

— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Smokin Joe

Your suggest we wait until the stars align,  and then we can occasionally win one small victory amidst the long trail of tragic losses?   

We got lucky with Dan Rather.   There are so many other instances in which the lies were never rebutted.
It wasn't luck, it was someone catching a classic case of Liberal overreach. They will do it again, and we'll bring down another one. Lather (and they will get lathered up, that's when they lose it), rinse, and repeat.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Certainly NOT what I'm advocating!  There are millions of people out there at this moment who could compete with the big boys in radio and television IF the fed gov would allow them to do it. I happen to be one of them!

In 1963, Smith took his act to the border when the Inter-American Radio Advertising's Ramon Bosquez hired him and sent him to the studio and transmitter site of XERF-AM at Ciudad Acuña in Mexico, a station whose high-powered border blaster signal could be picked up across much of the United States. In an interview with writer Tom Miller, Smith described the reach of the XERF signal: "We had the most powerful signal in North America. Birds dropped dead when they flew too close to the tower. A car driving from New York to L.A. would never lose the station."[5] Most of the border stations broadcast at 250,000 watts, five times the U.S. limit, meaning that their signals were picked up all over North America, and at night as far away as Europe and the Soviet Union. It was at XERF that Smith developed his signature style (with phrases like "Who's this on the Wolfman telephone?") and widespread fame.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfman_Jack

Offline DiogenesLamp

That inevitably means a federally designated arbiter of truth.

Requiring the media to reflect the political makeup of the public at large constitutes a "federally designated arbiter of truth"?   

How does it do that?     We accept the premise for Blacks and Women.   Why is it such a far stretch to demand equal representation for Conservatives?    Why should the media be permitted to employ 95% Liberals and 5% Libertarians?   

Conservatives make up 40% (or more)  of the populace,  and without discrimination, they would make up 40% of the broadcasting system staff.   

If Affirmative Action laws were used to accomplish this result,  would this somehow make the Federal Government the "Arbiter of Truth"? 

Not suggesting this is the only way to break the log jam,  just pointing out that this is one possible way to do it without creating a government ministry of truth. 

It disproves the theory that a "ministry of truth"  is necessary.   

— Lord Melbourne —

Offline DiogenesLamp

Wow.  Just wow.  Who, may I ask, would you appoint to be the "Truth Czar?"  Who decides what the truth is?

Like a record stuck in a groove.   Doesn't hear a d@mn thing I'm saying. 

— Lord Melbourne —

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

Those stations were exceedingly expensive to operate and maintain which is why they are no more!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

Requiring the media to reflect the political makeup of the public at large constitutes a "federally designated arbiter of truth"?   

How does it do that?     We accept the premise for Blacks and Women.   Why is it such a far stretch to demand equal representation for Conservatives?    Why should the media be permitted to employ 95% Liberals and 5% Libertarians?   

Conservatives make up 40% (or more)  of the populace,  and without discrimination, they would make up 40% of the broadcasting system staff.   

If Affirmative Action laws were used to accomplish this result,  would this somehow make the Federal Government the "Arbiter of Truth"? 

Not suggesting this is the only way to break the log jam,  just pointing out that this is one possible way to do it without creating a government ministry of truth. 

It disproves the theory that a "ministry of truth"  is necessary.
This sounds like "Net Neutrality" for the television. I don't approve.

C S Lewis

Offline RoosGirl

When you have devolved to mockery,  you are unable to put forth a real argument.   

Demanding that both sides have access to the people is not tantamount to the government forcing people to watch something.   

In the candidates debates,   I assume you would think it ridiculous if we had a "debate"  where only the Democrat candidate was allowed to speak.   

Well I've got news for you.   With the media,  Every freaking day is a political debate with the Opposition putting forth their points,  and occasionally one of their pet monkeys claiming to be on our side offering up a weak pathetic rebuttal if any sort of rebuttal is allowed at all.

No, when *I* devolve to mockery it means I'm tired of the same bullshit being repeated ad nauseum. 

Offline DiogenesLamp

I agree.  This idea of crushing the freedom of the press is far, far more destructive than who can put what on a cake.

"Four legs good! Two legs baaaaaad!"   

— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Frank Cannon

No, when *I* devolve to mockery it means I'm tired of the same bullshit being repeated ad nauseum.

Hear Hear!!!!!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Those stations were exceedingly expensive to operate and maintain which is why they are no more!

Were they?  I just remembered hearing Wolfman Jack when I was a kid and being fascinated that he was broadcasting out of Mexico.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 09:50:20 pm by Sanguine »

Offline Frank Cannon

That movie was not good. I hear it was the reason Seymour Hoffman killed himself.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
That movie was not good. I hear it was the reason Seymour Hoffman killed himself.

Well, that figures - I liked it.

Online roamer_1

Congress is paralyzed with fear of what the media will do to them if they do the job their constituents sent them there to do. 

No they are not. They are in collusion. Republican does not mean Conservative. They want big gov. They just think they can do it better than the dems.

Offline RoosGirl

@Frank Cannon
You have no room to talk about movies, and a hearty eff you to you regarding Saw.  I tried to watch it during nap time today and about 10 minutes in I realized you had played a really nasty joke on me.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Were they?  I just remembered hearing Wolfman Jack when I was a kid and being fascinated that he was broadcasting out of Mexico.

The Transmitters were so large they actually had isles for maintenance people to access the innards!

http://ominous-valve.com/wlw.html

http://j-hawkins.com/wlw500kpics.shtml

« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 10:03:36 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien