Author Topic: Size of the Army and F-35 purchases top NDAA negotiations  (Read 264 times)

Offline DemolitionMan

Size of the Army and F-35 purchases top NDAA negotiations
« on: October 10, 2017, 01:02:46 am »
by Travis J. Tritten

Billions of dollars in defense funding hang in the balance for big-ticket items such as the F-35 fighter, the size of the Army and missile defense as armed services committee members convene a conference to hammer out a final version for the National Defense Authorization Act this month.

The talks will determine the final number of troops, aircraft, and ships, as well as an even more controversial question — whether a new Space Corps will take over military operations in space.

Each chamber has overwhelmingly passed its version of the NDAA along with its own vision for the military over the next year. Committee chairmen Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., and Rep. Mac Thornberry, R-Texas, and the top two House and Senate Armed Services Democrats will be tasked with reconciling the differences and sending up a final bill for Congress to pass.

The good news for negotiators: Those two visions for defense are significantly similar.

"Versus other years there is not as many issues, so I think we can [reach agreement] but it just takes some time to work through it," Thornberry told the Washington Examiner.

This year, both include a $30-40 billion hike over President Trump's requested budget. The House NDAA calls for $632 billion for base defense spending and $65 billion in war funding, while the Senate version top line is $640 billion with $60 billion for the war fund, called overseas contingency operations.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/size-of-the-army-and-f-35-purchases-top-ndaa-negotiations/article/2636646
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome