Author Topic: 60 years after Sputnik, Russia is lost in space  (Read 967 times)

Offline DemolitionMan

60 years after Sputnik, Russia is lost in space
« on: October 10, 2017, 12:57:37 am »
by Matthew Bodner

Just over 30 years after the Soviet Union launched the world’s first satellite, Sputnik 1, the nation that opened the space race stood on the precipice of a second golden age of space exploration. A major program, the Energia heavy booster rocket and the Buran space shuttle, was nearing completion — making its maiden flight in November 1988.

Another three decades later, on the 60th anniversary of Sputnik 1, the Russian space program is a shadow of its Soviet predecessor. The Energia-Buran project, its last major accomplishment, flew just once before the fall of communism gutted Moscow’s space program. For nearly three decades now, the Russian space industry has been in a state of triage, teetering on collapse.

But the Russian space program has consistently defied the dire predictions of those foretelling an imminent end to the program. Today, amid a major effort to reform and reorganize the Russian space industry under the new Roscosmos state corporation, there are signs that the bleeding has been slowed. But major questions about Russia’s future in space linger.

“Russia’s space industry is in deep crisis,” says Pavel Luzin, a Russian space industry expert and CEO of research startup Under Mad Trends. “We are able to maintain some of our capabilities, especially military ones, but without significant reforms we will be unable to go further. Soon, Russia will face a choice: either change itself or lose its space capabilities.”

http://spacenews.com/60-years-after-sputnik-russia-is-lost-in-space/
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline DemolitionMan

Re: 60 years after Sputnik, Russia is lost in space
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 12:58:40 am »
The Russians still use the basic R-7 designs it used to launch Sputnik with upgrades with the design.
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 01:09:09 am »

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 01:20:26 am »

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 01:32:25 am »
It happens. Scott and I never have that complaint

@DemolitionMan

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,113557.0.html

Duplicate Threads
« on: September 17, 2013, 12:21:49 PM »

Hey everybody....I am seeing a lot of duplicate threads...please use correct titles and use the Search feature to check and see if they have already been posted.

I also appreciate a link to these articles along with date, author etc...

btw...thanks for posting articles...I can't get them all!...lol

Thanks
Nancy
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 12:24:42 PM by mystery-ak »

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 01:35:31 am »
@DemolitionMan

Thanks for pointing it out. But I would like to hear it from Nancy
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 01:36:20 am by DemolitionMan »