Author Topic: Ancient Legends And Myths That Were Later Proven True By Science  (Read 879 times)

rangerrebew

Ancient Legends And Myths That Were Later Proven True By Science

By Robin Andrews
08 Oct 2017, 19:42

Who doesn’t love a good story? When the world is in a bit of a state, it’s good to retreat to the comforting fiction of books, movies, and video games. It’s worth remembering, though, that plenty of fantastical fiction has been inspired by real-life events, both small and gargantuan.

http://www.iflscience.com/environment/ancient-legends-and-myths-that-were-later-proven-true-by-science/

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Ancient Legends And Myths That Were Later Proven True By Science
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 08:59:38 am »
Interesting, thanks!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 12:02:16 pm »
At one time, legends and myths were considered "science".
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 01:07:18 pm »
At one time, legends and myths were considered "science".

As they are in some circles now.

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 04:32:01 pm »
Interesting article.

Some of those ancient folks had some very creative imaginations. They'd probably make excellent novelists or screen-writers in today's era.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 06:16:08 pm »
Interesting article.

Some of those ancient folks had some very creative imaginations. They'd probably make excellent novelists or screen-writers in today's era.
I owuld wager many old legends have some basis in truth. People seemed to think Troy was a product of Homer's imagination until Heinrich Schliemann dug it up.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 06:21:14 pm »
I was watching a documentary on Gobekli Tepi last night and the researchers were baffled by the apparent fact that it was hunter gatherers who built GT and that they did so based on a religion established before there were cities with complex civilizations.  It didn't seem to occur to them that God was known and not invented before city-folk came along.  Very interesting bias.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 07:03:12 pm »
I was watching a documentary on Gobekli Tepi last night and the researchers were baffled by the apparent fact that it was hunter gatherers who built GT and that they did so based on a religion established before there were cities with complex civilizations.  It didn't seem to occur to them that God was known and not invented before city-folk came along.  Very interesting bias.
That's funny. Most country folks seem to be closer to Him, because they are ever reminded He is in control (and they aren't). I guess it has something to do with living in a man made world that affects their world view in town.

C S Lewis

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 07:19:59 pm »
That's funny. Most country folks seem to be closer to Him, because they are ever reminded He is in control (and they aren't). I guess it has something to do with living in a man made world that affects their world view in town.

And that's why this:
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,284953.0.html
is good news.
 ^-^
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra