Author Topic: Would North Korea Use Old World War II Tanks to Fight America in a War?  (Read 2084 times)

Offline DemolitionMan

TNI Staff

While the T-34/85 medium tank might be have been instrumental in the Soviet Union’s victory over Nazi Germany’s Wehrmacht in World War Two, the vintage war machine is probably still in service in North Korea.

The Soviet Union delivered some 250 T-34/85s to the nascent Democratic People’s Republic of Korea before March 1950. The Soviets delivered more of the tanks later over the course of the Korean War. The North Koreans lost many T-34/85s during the war as it became very apparently that the American M26 Pershing, M46 Patton and the British Centurion grossly outclassed the long-serving Soviet-built tank.It not clear how many of the antiquated T-34/85 tanks are still in service with the Korean People’s Army, but some of the machines were spotted in North Korean propaganda videos as late as 2012. There were some 250 of the vintage T-34/85 tanks in the North Korean inventory as of 1996 according to some sources, but it is not clear how many of those machines are still in service. North Korea has been isolated for much of the preceding 25-years under various sanctions and embargos, so it is possible a significant portion of those tanks are still in the KPA inventory. Forces such as the KPA rarely throw away hardware no matter how obsolete.
http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/would-north-korea-use-old-world-war-ii-tanks-fight-america-22646
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Would North Korea Use Old World War II Tanks to Fight America in a War?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 03:52:29 am »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_People%27s_Army_Ground_Force

The T-34s are supposed to be retired. That said they were capable tanks for their day.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 03:55:11 am »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_People%27s_Army_Ground_Force

The T-34s are supposed to be retired. That said they were capable tanks for their day.

There are few in service today.As of 2015, the only countries confirmed to use the T-34 in active service are Mali, Somalia, Syria, Yemen, and North Korea

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-34
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 03:57:14 am by DemolitionMan »
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline KingsX

• Be yourself. No one can say you're doing it wrong.

Offline DemolitionMan

Offline KingsX

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 04:09:54 am »

What does that information part of the topic?

What I posted makes tanks obsolete.

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 04:25:31 am »

What I posted makes tanks obsolete.

EMP pretty makes everything that uses electronics obsolete.

Offline KingsX

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2017, 04:50:59 am »

EMP pretty makes everything that uses electronics obsolete.

Maybe WW2 tanks would work after all.

Last May my house was hit by God's EMP weapon, a lightning strike.
Ironically,  my newish washer was fried and I had to buy a new one...
next to it, my 20 year old dryer with older technology still worked.

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2017, 04:53:20 am »

I guess we will have to see one in real life when a EMP detonates on top a city during a nuclear attack.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 04:57:36 am by DemolitionMan »

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2017, 05:03:16 am »

The wiring and connections in older technology are more robust than the connections in a microchip. Reliance on electromechanical systems may function after an EMP as opposed to strictly electronic (non hardened) systems, depending on the intensity of the pulse at that location. Faraday cages are best yet.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2017, 05:05:00 am »
The wiring and connections in older technology are more robust than the connections in a microchip. Reliance on electromechanical systems may function after an EMP as opposed to strictly electronic (non hardened) systems, depending on the intensity of the pulse at that location. Faraday cages are best yet.

I do agree with you. But how do you know it would work when military equipment in the can't be fired? The tank was not really tested in the 1940s because EMP was little known and the tank was never subjected to a EMP enviorment.The only way to know is take it into battle.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 05:17:44 am by DemolitionMan »

Offline DB

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2017, 05:37:36 am »
Actually, the smaller something is the more immune to EMP it is. It is long wires, cables that pick up the magnetic impulse from an EMP and convert it into electrical energy (the wire acts as an antenna). Power lines, telephone lines, Ethernet cables, etc are what pick up an EMP to the level of damaging what is connected to them. Small hand held electronics are generally much less sensitive to EMP and have to be closer to the source of the EMP to be damaged.

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2017, 05:39:54 am »
Actually, the smaller something is the more immune to EMP it is. It is long wires, cables that pick up the magnetic impulse from an EMP and convert it into electrical energy (the wire acts as an antenna). Power lines, telephone lines, Ethernet cables, etc are what pick up an EMP to the level of damaging what is connected to them. Small hand held electronics are generally much less sensitive to EMP and have to be closer to the source of the EMP to be damaged.

Sounds like a good experiment to try out.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2017, 07:51:04 am »
Sounds like a good experiment to try out.
It does. Seems a microscopic connection would be more prone to surge burnout than a 20 gauge wire, but I'm no EE.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 07:51:34 am by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline DB

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2017, 09:02:31 am »
It does. Seems a microscopic connection would be more prone to surge burnout than a 20 gauge wire, but I'm no EE.

A changing magnetic flux (an EMP for example) induces a current in a conductor. That's how a generator/alternator works. That current produces a voltage differential along the conductor. The shorter the conductor the less voltage differential generated. It requires enough voltage and current differential across the conductor to cause currents to flow where they aren't supposed to to damage the circuit. The voltage required to damage it varies with the type of structure forming the circuit.

It is larger items with longer wires, particularly wires with a larger space between them, that are more likely to be damaged by EMP.

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2017, 03:08:55 am »
A changing magnetic flux (an EMP for example) induces a current in a conductor. That's how a generator/alternator works. That current produces a voltage differential along the conductor. The shorter the conductor the less voltage differential generated. It requires enough voltage and current differential across the conductor to cause currents to flow where they aren't supposed to to damage the circuit. The voltage required to damage it varies with the type of structure forming the circuit.

It is larger items with longer wires, particularly wires with a larger space between them, that are more likely to be damaged by EMP.

I was checking my library and I found what I was looking for and looked it up. The United States Air Force routinely tested its B-52s and B-1s on a platform that built to simulate a EMP attack. If you built it on a smalled scale maybe its feasable to simulate one somewhere desolate. What is lacking is generators because the company is out of business.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATLAS-I
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 03:18:06 am by DemolitionMan »

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2017, 03:41:51 am »
L'il Kim seems to be even more grandiose than his predecessors, so I expect scorched earth and the kitchen sink from him in an invasion.

Got up close to a T-34 at the Patton museum a few years ago. Rude and crude but they were effective and could be stamped out one after the other. Target practice for us but throwing them all out there will still do some damage.

What really scares me is what L'il Kim has up his sleeve that his enablers have hidden. His tech seems to be advancing very quickly.

The Republic is lost.

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2017, 03:47:08 am »
L'il Kim seems to be even more grandiose than his predecessors, so I expect scorched earth and the kitchen sink from him in an invasion.

Got up close to a T-34 at the Patton museum a few years ago. Rude and crude but they were effective and could be stamped out one after the other. Target practice for us but throwing them all out there will still do some damage.

What really scares me is what L'il Kim has up his sleeve that his enablers have hidden. His tech seems to be advancing very quickly.

I really do not think that he does have any advanced tanks. The most advanced he would have would be a T-72 and that tank did not do so well in the Gulf Wars and against our airplanes.The K1A1 Main Battle Tank,the K2 Black Panther(South Korea) and our M1A1 would just brush them aside.

http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/would-north-korea-use-old-world-war-ii-tanks-fight-america-22646
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 03:50:17 am by DemolitionMan »

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2017, 03:51:14 am »
I really do not think that he does have any advanced tanks. The most advanced he would have would be a T-72 and that tank did not do so well in the Gulf Wars and against our airplanes.The K1A1 Main Battle Tank,the K2 Black Panther(South Korea) and our M1A1 would just brush them aside.

His tanks don't bother me. It's obvious though from little snippets here and there that he tech is advancing far faster than he could do on his own. Which makes me worry as to what his enablers have set him up with.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 03:52:24 am by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2017, 03:54:19 am »
His tanks don't bother me. It's obvious though from little snippets here and there that he tech is advancing far faster than he could do on his own. Which makes me worry as to what his enables have set him up with.

There was a story on the internet on how a company is gauging North Korea's advancements through his television appearances at military bases. I would have to find that for you.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 03:54:39 am by DemolitionMan »

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2017, 04:04:48 am »
There was a story on the internet on how a company is gauging North Korea's advancements through his television appearances at military bases. I would have to find that for you.
Could not find it. I should of bookmarked it.But the cranes and their TEL are similar.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 04:11:50 am by DemolitionMan »