Author Topic: Cam Newton loses Dannon deal for saying: ‘It’s funny to hear a female talk about routes’ and the reporter apologizes, too  (Read 1621 times)

Silver Pines

Okay, I happen to be of the same mind as Laura Ingraham and Dana Loesch about this.  Big freaking deal.  Honestly?  I laughed when I saw the clip, and I laughed when I saw it this morning.  When I watch football postgame shows and all of those big hulking football players are sitting there, with some chick in the middle of them trying to be one of the guys, I roll my eyes. 

I don't like the raised fist at all.  But Cam said this a couple of years ago:

"The 27-year-old Newton told GQ he believes people's dislike of him has nothing to do with the fact that he is African-American.

"It's not racism," Newton told the magazine. "Everybody's entitled to their own opinion."

When asked about a comment he made before Super Bowl 50 — “I’m an African-American quarterback that may scare a lot of people because they haven’t seen nothing that they can compare me to" — Newton replied, "I don't want this to be about race, because it's not. It's not. Like, we're beyond that. As a nation."

When pressed about the dislike some have for him, Newton said, “I’ll let you be the judge. I don’t look at it like that. I look at it like some people have certain beliefs, and I have my own belief, and we can agree to disagree on certain things. But this is what makes sports so amazing, that we can start a discussion around a table, in the newspaper, in the magazines, that will get people’s attention. And that’s what sports does.”

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/cam-newton-criticized-telling-gq-919485

And as for the reporter, Jordan Rodrigue, who was running around like an emotional woman (not criticizing that, we all are, but I own it) crying for an apology, she had to apologize for her own non-PC remarks:

Charlotte Observer reporter Jourdan Rodrigue posted an apology on Twitter after three tweets she posted years ago were discovered by Black Sports Online.

In two of the tweets, Rodrigue referenced laughing at racist jokes. In the third she uses the word “bleep.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/10/05/jourdan-rodrigue-apologizes-for-offensive-tweets/

If she's going to spend her life around locker rooms, she better get a thicker skin.

@Victoria33